When I type or use the mouse to scroll the pages, choppy video

mooseman1976

Reaction score
Credits
Hello everyone, May I receive some help please? I am running Mint 19.3 cinnamon. I have a MSI motherboard PM8M3-V , Intel Pentium 4 - 2.80GHz x1 processor. I installed all the system drivers, motherboard drivers that I know to download, but still the video is still slow and choppy. May I get some Ideas of how to correct this problem please? I have been working on this for a couple of days and I am out of Ideas. Thank you, mooseman1976

That's a REALLY old CPU. Cinnamon (and Mint in general) is a full and pretty heavy (resource intensive) distro.

Also, much modern video playback looks for (is optimized for?) an instruction set on the CPU (I forget which one) that helps with rending the video in hardware. Your older CPU predates that.

There's not much you can do about this without changing the hardware. You can try a lightweight distro with a lightweight DE. That should help a little, but video playback is likely to be a solo process. If you're doing that, you're probably not going to be doing too much more than that with that system.

You can *try* (assuming you're playing back the video in the browser) disabling hardware acceleration in the browser and, where possible, pick a lower resolution.

Linux can do many things, but making up for time and progress isn't one of them. If you're on a low budget, I'd look for a cheap used computer that's a bit newer.

That's a REALLY old CPU. Cinnamon (and Mint in general) is a full and pretty heavy (resource intensive) distro.

Also, much modern video playback looks for (is optimized for?) an instruction set on the CPU (I forget which one) that helps with rending the video in hardware. Your older CPU predates that.

There's not much you can do about this without changing the hardware. You can try a lightweight distro with a lightweight DE. That should help a little, but video playback is likely to be a solo process. If you're doing that, you're probably not going to be doing too much more than that with that system.

You can *try* (assuming you're playing back the video in the browser) disabling hardware acceleration in the browser and, where possible, pick a lower resolution.

Linux can do many things, but making up for time and progress isn't one of them. If you're on a low budget, I'd look for a cheap used computer that's a bit newer.
OK, Thank you. With your knowlege of linux in which I do like Mint, which would be a good earrlier verson to use? Thank you.

Do NOT use an earlier version of Mint. It either is, or will soon will be, unsupported.

Your best bet is to look for a 'lightweight distro'. This is the generic link that I normally hand out in these cases:

But, your best option is probably to just search for "lightweight distro" and wade through the results before picking a few to try for yourself. There are a bunch out there and I'm surprised none of the other members have yet to chime in with recommendations. We have some regular users that trend toward older hardware.

Here's a Bing search, which has 'good enough' results:

Which video player are you using?....or are the videos playing through Firefox ?

Last edited:
Some merging and general housekeeping was done.

Do not post duplicate threads. Thanks.

Not to Zombie-post, but just for those who stumble upon this thread, and want the quick answer, the quick answer is almost always the same for older hardware: Antix Linux. There are other options depending on how old your hardware is.

- Antix if it very old (2000s-2010s). If it is later or was a "monster" system in its time, MX Linux.
- If it is older than 2000, Antix is a hit and miss (mostly hits). But you may have to consider Tiny Core which requires only a very small amount of technical knowledge, ~1 hour reading for a newbie at most.

So:
Antix Linux - Anything
MX Linux
- Not so old, or powerful for its time
Tiny Core - If Antix doesn't work

Members online

Latest posts