When booting I get the following message: 'irq9 nobody cared (try booting with the "irqpoll" option)'

NotReallyEight

Reaction score
Credits
I have been trying to boot my Ubuntu installation, it used to work fine before but when I restarted it prompted this error message and I can only see a black screen with that text. After Googling around I saw there were other people with my same CPU and laptop model with the same issue. Thanks in advance!

Full message: ```irq 9: nobody cared (try booting with the "irqpoll" option)
[<0000000030056519>] acpi_irq
Disabling IRQ #9```

My system specs:
Lenovo V15-IIL
Ubuntu 21.10
Intel Core i5-1035G1

Have you run any updates between your last good boot and when the problem started?

Yes, it is quite possible Pipewire has caused the problem, if you haven't set the variables correctly, so for now try uninstalling it then,
if you can get a terminal, run sudo update-grub
if not, I would consider booting from a pen drive, and run a live distribution to rescue any important documents, and then install afresh

Try installing a long term supported Distro......21.10 (Impish Indri) is only an interim release...a proving ground for the LTR's

Ubuntu 22.04
Linux Mint 20.3

Both are proven performers.

You can look into adding 'irqpoll' as a *temporary* measure that might get you back into your OS. It's a kernel boot parameter, so easily searched for with many tutorials out there.

Yes, it is quite possible Pipewire has caused the problem, if you haven't set the variables correctly, so for now try uninstalling it then,
if you can get a terminal, run sudo update-grub
if not, I would consider booting from a pen drive, and run a live distribution to rescue any important documents, and then install afresh
I am able to get into the terminal, uninstalling pipewire and doing `sudo update-grub`, but on boot I still get the IRQ 9 error.

Try installing a long term supported Distro......21.10 (Impish Indri) is only an interim release...a proving ground for the LTR's

Ubuntu 22.04
Linux Mint 20.3

Both are proven performers.
Isn't Ubuntu 22.04 still a development release?

You can look into adding 'irqpoll' as a *temporary* measure that might get you back into your OS. It's a kernel boot parameter, so easily searched for with many tutorials out there.
Adding 'irqpoll' as a boot parameter still cannot let me boot and only gives the following:

Attachments

• 20220417_180626.jpg
    20220417_180626.jpg
    606.1 KB · Views: 442
Yes. It'll be out soon, like the 21st.

Whelp... I'm officially out of ideas. I'd hoped that'd get you back in.
Alright, will probably make a reinstall again if that won't work... Wanted to try to save the system at least because I already did a reinstall 2 days ago. Thanks anyway!

I'd wait until 22.04 is released and try that.

Alternatively, you can try it now. There's nothing wrong with doing so. It'll update and upgrade to 22.04 when 22.04 is officially released. You won't need to reinstall or anything. So, you can try it... It's pretty stable. I test it daily - twice (only I test Lubuntu). Just be aware that it hasn't officially been released.

Also, I'd look into learning to diligently backup your system. Folks around here are fond of Timeshift, and for good reason - it works well.

I'd wait until 22.04 is released and try that.

Alternatively, you can try it now. There's nothing wrong with doing so. It'll update and upgrade to 22.04 when 22.04 is officially released. You won't need to reinstall or anything. So, you can try it... It's pretty stable. I test it daily - twice (only I test Lubuntu). Just be aware that it hasn't officially been released.

Also, I'd look into learning to diligently backup your system. Folks around here are fond of Timeshift, and for good reason - it works well.
I will definitely make a backup in the future. Thanks so much for the time helping me out

Members online