Whelp, i'm done with windows for good, unless i REALLY have to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CrazedNerd

Unfortunately, the performance, and not just security, pales in comparison to both macOS and linux distros.

Ever since I installed and updated and updated windows 10 alongside my linux distros (it's a legal copy, but i gave someone else the license to be helpful since i used to have two copies), it has not done any of the things i wanted to use it for correctly even though i am fully updated.

But besides the problems with the behavior of software I installed on windows, there's also this:

And even though that's easy to fix, windows changes it back when you start your computer! Maybe it would behave if i bought another license and fully activated, but you can't know for sure. My google search in relation to that didn't show me any answers. When I had a fully licensed copy installed a long time ago, you couldn't change the default browser to firefox.

The kilnk tethering software worked, but that's honestly the only positive thing I can say about this experiment.

Before my hard drive failed, I had windows and Linux on two PHYSICALLY SEPPARATE hard drives. Each had its own boot menu, and its own EFI partition.

In the CMOS menu, I set the Linux drive as primary, which meant that it booted first, but if I wanted windows to boot, I just opened the CMOS BOOT menu.

Windows is a cancerous, intrusive operating system, you may want to physically keep it as far as possible from any storage media you don't want it interacting with.

Windows is a cancerous, intrusive operating system, you may want to physically keep it as far as possible from any storage media you don't want it interacting with.
When i was first using this forum, i would have said this was hyperbole, but after having used something better in comparison for a while i don't think this is far from the mark. Microsoft's history of behavior makes it a legit worm, virus, or malware...especially spyware.

Did you know that some guys actually tore the whole of windows 10 apart and completely peeled out all of its' "questionable" features?

Windows 10 superlite

That version takes only 1.1GB or RAM. Yeah, that much cancer it had. However updating it is a major problem.

Did you know that some guys actually tore the whole of windows 10 apart and completely peeled out all of its' "questionable" features?

Windows 10 superlite

That version takes only 1.1GB or RAM. Yeah, that much cancer it had. However updating it is a major problem.
Im getting a gateway timeout for that site...

But totally unsurprising, pretty much everything about windows is proprietary and designed to milk you. I was also getting popup windows telling me to install logitech software because it (yes...IT) could tell i was using logitech. And people on win11 forums are telling others to replace the version that comes with their laptop with a separate install cuz they come with so much bloatware.

Apple and android are similar in terms of shady and unethical behavior, but performance wise windows is totally the worst and it makes sense to look at microsoft as being the skid row of computing.

OK guys I am going to have to ask you (sorry) to dial back on bagging the other OS.

Wizard

Just as the MS operating systems have varied over the years, so has it's stance towards open source. Here is an interesting history: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_and_open_source, which basically ranges from early Bill Gates' idea of regarding copying open source as a "form of theft", to recent times in which MS has open sourced a lot of its own code, and now makes significant contributions to open source projects, including linux: https://www.wired.com/2012/04/microsoft-and-linux/, and note how early that article was written.

None of that is to reflect on the multitude of MS operating systems over the decades, but rather just to note that things change which makes it difficult to really tar everything in relation to MS IT with the one brush. If one is motivated to view MS through a more political or economic lens, then that's a different matter.

Just as the MS operating systems have varied over the years, so has it's stance towards open source. Here is an interesting history: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_and_open_source, which basically ranges from early Bill Gates' idea of regarding copying open source as a "form of theft", to recent times in which MS has open sourced a lot of its own code, and now makes significant contributions to open source projects, including linux: https://www.wired.com/2012/04/microsoft-and-linux/, and note how early that article was written.

None of that is to reflect on the multitude of MS operating systems over the decades, but rather just to note that things change which makes it difficult to really tar everything in relation to MS IT with the one brush. If one is motivated to view MS through a more political or economic lens, then that's a different matter.
Dude, i dont have any problem with bashing open source software either, but my hate of windows at this point has nothing to do with politics...but the economics and efficiency/performance. Designing a software around "how can i force people to spend as much money as possible?" doesnt make any sense from a developer or end user POV...

WELL, maybe a little sense from a dev POV

Designing a software around "how can i force people to spend as much money as possible?"
I disagree with this. I switched to Linux after trying (and failing) to find a way of purchasing a registration key so I could validate my copy of Windows 10. I don't know what they're doing any more, but they sure made it difficult to give them money.

I disagree with this. I switched to Linux after trying (and failing) to find a way of purchasing a registration key so I could validate my copy of Windows 10. I don't know what they're doing any more, but they sure made it difficult to give them money.
But you just validated my reasons for posting this: windows isn't logical or transparent in any way, i can only think of one possible motive...

You mean criticizing?

There is a clear and distinct line between providing honest and factually-based criticism, and providing emotive and destructive input based on personal opinions in such a way as to appear defamatory.

Leave out the perceived motives and references to shady and unethical behaviours or practices.

Let off steam at a site that encourages that all you like, but don't put this very well known site and its innocent Members at risk of expensive litigation that could see us have to close.

I am not directing that simply at the OP but at everybody who wants to engage in that sort of activity.

TIA for understanding.

Chris Turner

Calling something a cancer is not constructive criticism, it sounds more like how Steve Ballmer talked about Linux in 2001.

There is a clear and distinct line between providing honest and factually-based criticism, and providing emotive and destructive input based on personal opinions in such a way as to appear defamatory.

Leave out the perceived motives and references to shady and unethical behaviours or practices.

Let off steam at a site that encourages that all you like, but don't put this very well known site and its innocent Members at risk of expensive litigation that could see us have to close.

I am not directing that simply at the OP but at everybody who wants to engage in that sort of activity.

TIA for understanding.

Chris Turner
I undestand. Is the site based in America, by any chance?

I do use Windows on the rare occasion like updating my Garmin Nuvi GPS - there is no way to update it through Linux since Garmin in their infinite wisdom did not port Garmin Express to Linux it is only available via Windows or Mac

Same here. I have Windows on a laptop, still because we occasionally need to use online test proctoring for school and it isn't supported on Linux.

TIA for understanding.

Chris Turner
I have no issue refraining from the poetic/emotive bashing because that's better for the forum (if anyone is responsible, then everyone is responsible...), but don't you think it's a stretch to think that it would lead to litigation in this context? To my understanding, slander suits become a prospect in press and corporate work environments, people bash each other online in forums/social-media constantly.

I have no issue refraining from the poetic/emotive bashing because that's better for the forum (if anyone is responsible, then everyone is responsible...), but don't you think it's a stretch to think that it would lead to litigation in this context? To my understanding, slander suits become a prospect in press and corporate work environments, people bash each other online in forums/social-media constantly.
I get it. The forum staff is concerned of getting stepped on by a multi-trillion dollar corporation. While I will make a concerted effort to restrain myself, since they DID ask politely. They do not have the resources for protracted litigation.

That being said, the opinions of this forum's members do not represent the official position of the forum staff, therefore should not be taken at face value.

However it is also important to note that as such, opinions are protected and enshrined in most democratic states as freedom of expression, most notably in article 11 of the Charter of Fundamental Rights in Europe and the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.
I believe that it is a distinct possibility that this site is hosted on one of these nation's servers.

I do use Windows on the rare occasion like updating my Garmin Nuvi GPS - there is no way to update it through Linux since Garmin in their infinite wisdom did not port Garmin Express to Linux it is only available via Windows or Mac
I never had a chance with Garmin Express, either it made me wait forever or conked out with message something like 'network not available, please come back later...' . My Nuvi 44 is supposed to have a lifetime map.:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts