What's your favorite Linux distribution?

• Thread starter lucasbytegenius
  • Start date
L

lucasbytegenius

Hey guys,

Just wondering what your favorite Linux distribution is :) Personally, I prefer OpenSUSE, it's got a ton of features and I love it. Ubuntu is a close second in my list, I'm really liking the new changes Canonical has made to it in the past year.

What about you? Vote in the poll and let me know if there's any other distros I should add :)

Opensuse is an rpm base too like Fedora,
Voted for Fedora. This is the first Linux i've installed since their Fedora 11 and I'm sticking to it until now that its Fedora 17.

Opensuse is an rpm base too like Fedora,
Voted for Fedora. This is the first Linux i've installed since their Fedora 11 and I'm sticking to it until now that its Fedora 17.
Yes, I know, but OpenSUSE has more packages out of the box, and Yast is awesome ;) It's definitely not for those who like minimalistic distros.
But that's cool :) I think I'm going to test it out when they have Gnome 3.2.

Currently using fedora. There's no CentOS choice for server use?

I'm still pretty new to Linux and my only experience so far is Ubuntu. I can honestly say that I'm loving it so much more than Windows. I wish I could install it on all my computers and ditch Windows for good. :)

I'm still pretty new to Linux and my only experience so far is Ubuntu. I can honestly say that I'm loving it so much more than Windows. I wish I could install it on all my computers and ditch Windows for good. :)
I also wish to replace Windows, problem is I have a lot of Windows games that won't run very well if at all on Linux.

CentOS. I run it on my web servers and find it does the job well, with minimal fuss. I've used Ubuntu on my local PC though, and like that a lot, haven't used Ubuntu on a server though.

My favorite distro is Slackware! I love the ability to configure the entire system as I see fit, even when it gets annoying after the fifteenth time in a year. (I refurbish machines as a hobby.)

The only real downside is that its sometimes hard to get a piece of software running. While I can fix most compilation issues, I can sometimes spend hours trying to get a program to compile. That normally only happens with CMake builds, though, so it's not too bad.

I have a couple of favorites and few of them are not in the list.

My Top favorite distro is Ubuntu, although i've heard that Linux Mint has made it's way up, could be because Ubuntu made some recent changes in it's design. But that's the only distro installed on my Notebook alongside Windows, so i use it at times.

I also love CentOS and Maemo, Meego(basically debian).

I was a big fan of do-it-all-yourself distros but after some time I decided it was not worth the time. It's better to have all configured properly by someone else and if neccessary - reconfigure it. No point in doing everything from stratch.

My favorite Linux distro is Chakra GNU/Linux. Maybe the fastest KDE distro which can be installed from a live CD in under 30 minutes. I used the testing repository to get KDE 4.7 installed, and it has the fastest KDE at running programs that I have seen.

i started with Ubuntu, went off to try other distros and now I am back with Ubuntu again. Of course, I am still stuck with Windows because I play WoW.

Of those listed, I would have to say openSUSE 12.1 impresses me the most. It used to be Debian repos offered the widest and most extensive variety of choices in linux packages, I am not so certain, any more.
SUSE is a great choice for for any desktop and most modern laptops, IMHO.

I use both Fedora and siduction, both with KDE. For me, the cutting edge runs stable.

I use both Fedora and siduction, both with KDE. For me, the cutting edge runs stable.

You're actually one of the few people I know who prefer KDE, everyone else seems to like Gnome or super minimalist desktop evironments.

I like Ubuntu. Only because of Easy To use and a Good Eye candy look. Fedora is on 2nd place in my list.

Members online