What's the fastest Linux distribution?

Easiest Linux=Ubuntu, and derivatives (also rans...Mandriva...)
Best hardware support=Ubuntu
Most stable=Debian
Most useful in emergencies=PuppyLinux
Best performance=VectorLinux and Gentoo
Best commercial Support=Redhat and derivatives

i like OpenSUSE its configuration and visuality is really great. so i would say OpenSUSE because its really fast.

Puppy Linux is by far the fastest I've tried. Maybe because its meant to run in old computers with just minimum of 128 RAM. The faster is runs when you install it via frugal.

Damn Small Linux could very well be one of the fastest Linux distributions since it's only 50 MB in size and it's requirements are extremely low.
You can find it at damnsmalllinux.org :)

Seems like most people are voting for PuppyLinux. Thanks for the replies :)

I've found MINT and Xubuntu XFCE to be pretty damn fast. :D Especially on older computers with low memory/processing power. :)

I've found MINT and Xubuntu XFCE to be pretty damn fast. :D Especially on older computers with low memory/processing power. :)

Tried both of those. Xubuntu was buggy for me. Mint LXDE was awesome though.

Take Gentoo, use only basic compile option. The real speed comes from a kernel with lots of build-in modules. That way you have the Code optimize for your Hardware and only that on your system what you need.

The True is: You can do this to every Linux. You just have to know what to do.

so far
Akendo

I see the benefits of compiling Linux yourself but I and lots of other people simply don't possess the knowledge or the time to do that. I prefer distros that come with everything, such as Ubuntu.

I have been using puppy linux but I have been interested in chrome os. I have switched due to the fact of laziness on my part. I need to do more research on it.

I have been using puppy linux but I have been interested in chrome os. I have switched due to the fact of laziness on my part. I need to do more research on it.

Chrome OS is pretty nice for a single-purpose OS. I really like it. However, I don't have a netbook to run it on so I use a VM, which isn't very practical.

That's the thing about Linux. It's 100% customizable, and any self-respecting distribution will allow you to modify components.

For me I've always had success with Fedora on the desktop running GNOME and Debian on the server. I actually run Debian 6 on my server and it runs faster than you'd expect, given the 128mb of RAM I've allocated to it. ;) CentOS is a bloated enterprise distro, it's not very fast. Nor is Ubuntu, it also has a ton of bloat, especially in more recent releases.

That's the thing about Linux. It's 100% customizable, and any self-respecting distribution will allow you to modify components.

For me I've always had success with Fedora on the desktop running GNOME and Debian on the server. I actually run Debian 6 on my server and it runs faster than you'd expect, given the 128mb of RAM I've allocated to it. ;) CentOS is a bloated enterprise distro, it's not very fast. Nor is Ubuntu, it also has a ton of bloat, especially in more recent releases.

I have just recently switched from Centos to Debian on my own server. Do you have any tips about what to look out for? Especially things to do with security. I am using Webmin.

I have just recently switched from Centos to Debian on my own server. Do you have any tips about what to look out for? Especially things to do with security. I am using Webmin.
You don't need to do much out of the ordinary. Configure iptables to block failed login attempt IP addresses and don't expose any functionality like SSH or PMA to the end user. Keep your CMSes up to date, use a modern web server, you know. General server tips. If you're looking for a good web server, try nginx. It's pretty sweet and secure.

I've heard a lot about nginx. A few things I heard include that when properly configured it's faster than litespeed, which is shocking to me because litespeed is pretty darn fast.

I've heard a lot about nginx. A few things I heard include that when properly configured it's faster than litespeed, which is shocking to me because litespeed is pretty darn fast.
Well, here's a study which says nginx is faster than litespeed:
http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/groups/168/nginx_vs_litespeed_-_magento_benchmark_tests
...and here's one which says litespeed is faster:
http://blog.litespeedtech.com/2010/...ving-simple-php-litespeed-vs-apache-vs-nginx/
If you're happy with your current web server, don't feel any need to change. Both nginx and litespeed appear to be equally capable of serving web pages at a high capacity.

I wouldn't completely trust results provided by the makers of Litespeed :p But thanks for the articles.

You don't need to do much out of the ordinary. Configure iptables to block failed login attempt IP addresses and don't expose any functionality like SSH or PMA to the end user. Keep your CMSes up to date, use a modern web server, you know. General server tips. If you're looking for a good web server, try nginx. It's pretty sweet and secure.

Yes, I have been thinking about using nginx. The main question in my mind is whether it will work with Webmin which I am using to manage my server. Would you know?

Members online

Latest posts