What's the fastest Linux distribution?

L

lucasbytegenius

Hey guys,
Just wondering what the fastest Linux distribution is in your opinion. There's a ton out there, and a broad answer would be that they're all very fast - but I'm looking for something that boots very very quickly and runs smoothly.

Suggestions?

I think Puppy Linux is a contender. At least I know it's one of the smallest distros.

I think Puppy Linux is a contender. At least I know it's one of the smallest distros.
Yes, I agree. Puppy Linux is really fast :)
I also think CrunchBang is pretty fast, as well as ChromeOS.

Fastest in what way?

Every distro I've used allows the user to select a desktop environment, which affects apparent speed
more than the distro. KDE and Gnome are very full featured, but they'll slow you down more than
LXDE or Xfce.

Few people can tolerate twm or dwm for long, but they would probably give even faster speeds.

Well, I mean faster all around. Fast bootup, fast desktop evironment, etc. And out of the box too.

The speed is comparable among different distributions. Don't let anyone fool you that Gentoo wil be the fastest because you compile it on your own. That is just a waste of time!

The speed is comparable among different distributions. Don't let anyone fool you that Gentoo wil be the fastest because you compile it on your own. That is just a waste of time!

I wouldn't ever try to use Gentoo because I'm not that type of guy who wants total control over everything. I also don't know how to do all that stuff.

This question has been asked many times. In most cases, it boils down to personal preference with how a specific distro interacts with both the user's hardware and the user himself. DE or lack thereof, as KenJackson stated, affects speed greatly.

IME, quickest and easiest to use 'buntu-based distro is peppermint; Slackware-based would include Salix-lxde-13.37 base install; antiX-M11 and #! are comparably fast Debian-based distributions; Unity (although I have not tried it lately) boots really fast and is Mandriva-derived.
Puppy, TinyCore, sliTaz and the like are in a class by themselves -- a very useful class of linux.

Out-of-the-box with at least one gig RAM and a modern processor -- peppermint.

My 2¢ worth!

Fastest in what way?

Every distro I've used allows the user to select a desktop environment, which affects apparent speed
more than the distro. KDE and Gnome are very full featured, but they'll slow you down more than
LXDE or Xfce.

Few people can tolerate twm or dwm for long, but they would probably give even faster speeds.

Not sure about twm or dwm since I haven't tried them. What I have used with Puppy Linux is JVM and I can say from personal experience that JVM is perfectly usable. For the long term, too.

Well Puppy Linux is by far the fastest out of all Linux distros out there. Another one that I think is very fast is Chrome OS. For a new os, it is surprisingly fast and very quick when it comes to booting up.

My vote goes with Puppy Linux as well. I have tried various OS versions and so far Puppy has been the fastest.

@TheMugenFox, is the Chrome OS available in UNIX flavor? I thought it was a replacement for Windows but I might be wrong.

Hmm.. I thought about this too! Puppylinux is pretty fast, although I've only tried it on my friends laptop. I've use CrunchBang too for months, and it was pretty good... not the most lightweight distro, because its based on Ubuntu, but I really liked it's minimal user interface, and it was pretty fast too! God... I miss those nights when I spent hours just customizing my desktop's look to be more minimal :)

For an embedded project that I am now working on, I will need the best performance on a very small system. I am hoping to target the Raspberry Pi but as it is not yet available, I am curious what is the smallest system on which people have run PuppyLinux? I recognize that if the distribution is fast it should be faster on smaller hardware but that is not always the case in my experience. Does anyone have experience with smaller systems and fast distros on these?

I would give a big vote for Puppy Linux if I were to choose from so-called Veteran choices. It's meant to be light weight and that is exactly what it does. However, I came across a new Linux distro by the name of Bodhi and I have found it to be incredibly fast. It is quite new, currently released version is 1.4.0, but I believe this distribution has a lot of potential. Keep in mind, there are bugs and it has "maturing" to do, so to speak.

Running the Enlightenment, or E17, desktop plays the largest role in why this distribution is so fast. It will run on just about any system and I even ran it on an old laptop with 256 ram - was surprised that it ran so fast and I would say it was close to Puppy performance there! However, boot up time is not the only fast part of this operating system. Desktop response time, using various programs, browsing, and just about anything else that you can think of, was incredibly responsive. I would recommend any user that has the slightest bit of Linux knowledge to give this little system a go. I do not run in as a main OS simply because it is going to be changing rapidly over time and I do need something that is considered more stable over long periods of time. I constantly keep updated on the progress as I am eager to see where this little distribution will go over the years.

I've never tried one of those very small distros but from what I've heard they're pretty fast and approximately the same as Chrome OS. The ones that I know about: DSL (Damn Small Linux), Crunchbag, Puppy Linux, antix.

You should try all of them and see which one you like or which one runs faster.

P.S. You can also try a benchmark like UnixBench and see which distro is the fastest.

Puppy Linux is not the fastest-booting distribution in this crowd, but it’s one of the fastest. And what’s unique about this distribution is that it will boot faster than your standard OS, even when it’s booting from the Live CD. Of course, some may claim, “It’s not a full-blown OS”. But it is. Although many view Puppy more as a rescue distribution, it’s a full-blown distribution that offers nearly every tool you need to do what you need to do.

SliTaz 4.0 is a fast and minimalistic Linux distribution, but at the same time Slitaz is a complete system that can be run even on older hardware, and with little performance: you think that the system in live CD, which is loaded entirely into RAM, takes up only 180MB memory. If you have a PC in the basement that has a little more RAM, do not be no problem: you can create SliTaz LiveCD can boot with less than 64 MB of RAM, due to packets SliTaz-loram.

That's fascinating, I never actually knew that PuppyLinux was the fastest Linux Distro, infact i just google to find out that it's the fastest fully functional OS. Chrome OS is fast, but it's a Joke... i've seen how fast it boots to finally end up showing the Chrome browser. I think every app on the Chrome OS needs an internet connection.

Maybe PuppyLinux is fast cause it has few packages and is lite in terms of size too. I've known that it could be installed into a USB drive and carried around.

SliTaz and Unity (http://unity-linux.org/http://unity-linux.org/ ) with TinyCore right up there alongside Puppy, in this order, IMHO (but there may be something new out there even quicker to boot).

Members online