whats the best Ubuntu version in your opinion

T

thelowbudget

Whats your thought on ubuntu which version is best? I would have to go with kubuntu 11.04 it's the only working linux I have gotten.

The question you are posing is more of a personal preference than anything. The age old debate of which version of this, that, or other all boils down to what you are comfortable with. I am not trying to say that your question is not relevant, but keep in mind that you are the one using the environment. It has to be one that you are comfortable working with.

Personally I am a Fedora/RHEL/OEL user and prefer XFCE for the desktop on systems where I actually have a desktop installed. I have tried KDE, Gnome, LXDE and others. I just felt more at home with XFCE.

If I had to chose, it'd probably be in the 10.x branch because that's when they stuck with Gnome I believe. When I first tried Unity, I was not impressed. I had 4 GB of RAM and it bogged down my system after a day or two of use. I tried it again in the 11.1 release but it just didn't feel right.

best ubuntu?

I assume derivatives count? Then my answer is Zorin Ultimate. It has unique features, comes with great packages preinstalled that take care of most of my biz and fun needs. The only drawbaqck is inconsistant and long waits for new versions.

I'd go for their 8*, I think its their first LTS since 2006. Its was my first time using ubuntu and that was when I was in my Cisco class. Ubuntu works with just a minimum of 256RAM before but now it turned out almost like windows.

I've used Ubuntu exclusively starting with 5.04 until 11.10 and have liked each release until 11.10. Maybe a refined Unity will bring me back to their yard...

If you don't want your computer act like a snail, try Xubuntu.

In my opinion the best Ubuntu I ever used was Ubuntu 10.10. This was before Canonical introduced their blasted Unity interface that slowed everything down and was ridden with bugs and usability problems.

Ubuntu 10.10 was fast, stable and pretty. It had everything you could ever need, it was simple to use, it worked brilliantly out of the box, and it was very customizable. I was at my happiest when I was using Ubuntu 10.10, everything just felt right and smooth. When Ubuntu 11.04 came along I switched right back to 10.10 after using it for a week. Unity just wasn't ready for prime time, and it probably still isn't.

Hmm.. The best Ubuntu? I suppose Ubuntu based distros are "Ubuntus" too.. So the best one for me is CrunchBang Linux! I loved using it... Wonder why did I remove it? Hmm.. I was an idiot :) It was perfect for my netbook, fast, lightweight, customizable... Oh and it ran OpenBox! How cool is that! A pre-installed and pre-configured OpenBox, which you can modify whenever you want. Maybe I'll re-install it, I've got into the mood :D

Hmm.. The best Ubuntu? I suppose Ubuntu based distros are "Ubuntus" too.. So the best one for me is CrunchBang Linux! I loved using it... Wonder why did I remove it? Hmm.. I was an idiot :) It was perfect for my netbook, fast, lightweight, customizable... Oh and it ran OpenBox! How cool is that! A pre-installed and pre-configured OpenBox, which you can modify whenever you want. Maybe I'll re-install it, I've got into the mood :D

I think CrunchBang is based on Debian (which Ubuntu is now loosely based off of), so it still works to me, lol. I love CB though too, I have it on my Acer Aspire One netbook. Some of the shortcuts are wonky, but I love just being able to Ctrl+X to bring up the shutdown menu. I can't stand OpenBox (or Fluxbox) though when I'm using the touch pad, it just feels so...annoying.

I think CrunchBang is based on Debian (which Ubuntu is now loosely based off of), so it still works to me, lol. I love CB though too, I have it on my Acer Aspire One netbook. Some of the shortcuts are wonky, but I love just being able to Ctrl+X to bring up the shutdown menu. I can't stand OpenBox (or Fluxbox) though when I'm using the touch pad, it just feels so...annoying.

You are right, now it's based on Debian... But I think it was based on a Minimal Ubuntu install back in a few versions.. However, it's still an awesome distro, my all time favorite :)

Ubuntu 10.04. Plus all the distros based on that. Mainly because that's the version which works with my old laptop. And I can update it with all the latest software. No problem.

The best one for me is CrunchBang Linux. I really like it the best so far :)

I would say Ubuntu 11.04 it's great, though some things are still a little buggy, it's more secure and to me it seems to load a bit faster than previous versions.

I would say Ubuntu 11.04 it's great, though some things are still a little buggy, it's more secure and to me it seems to load a bit faster than previous versions.

Same here, plus I find it the easiest to use :)

The LTS 10.04 lucid was the best. I've also use the 8 but I think the 10.04 was the best so far. the ones today seem to be very heavy that it needs newer hardware

The LTS 10.04 lucid was the best. I've also use the 8 but I think the 10.04 was the best so far. the ones today seem to be very heavy that it needs newer hardware

This has been my experience as well although I only run it on my netbook.

My 9-year-old desktop is inhabited by Mint 11,which isn't the fastest or most predictable but something I've gotten very comfortable with.

Ubuntu 10.04 was the easiest to use for me. Considering I've used Windows for many years, changing over wasn't as easy as I'd thought and I ended up changing back to Windows a couple of months later.

All till 9.04, with 9.10 everything has become bad. The change to grub2 was a big issue of frustatrion later. The 11.10 is quite acceptably. I'll take a deep look at 12.04, but i'm sure it's the best so far ;-).

Members online