What's the best IDE for linux users?

C

CrazedNerd

If we're gonna use the GUI at all, we might as we'll take advantage of its full features...for example, being able to compile and execute programs with the click of a mouse.

I have some experience with code::blocks, but very little coding experience in linux by itself. Intellij and atom seem to have promising features. Given for now I'm just doing command line stuff and scripting with bash, I would like to know what more experienced programmers think of IDEs in linux. Is it better just to do everything manually through the bash with gcc etc.? Opinions appreciated if you want to share.

Last edited by a moderator:

Atom isn't a good choice anymore because the project is shutting down.
Atom and all repositories under Atom will be archived on December 15, 2022
I use VScodium but I don't do any programming just Ansible playbooks and such.

Code::Blocks for C++. Eclipse for Java.

At work, I use Visual Studio (in Windows). In Linux, I prefer to stay with FOSS, so no VS Code.

I prefer to stay with FOSS, so no VS Code

I'm pretty sure it's FOSS now - complete with a version that has the Microsoft bits pulled out - called VScodium (spelling). But, even the MSFT version is free and open source, with the source being up on GitHub.

Last edited:
I would like to know what more experienced programmers think of IDEs in linux.
I'm not an experienced programmer, but I think, like most things, just try a few and see which meet one your needs and expectations the best. https://www.tecmint.com/best-linux-ide-editors-source-code-editors/

for example, being able to compile and execute programs with the click of a mouse.
You might want to give Geany a try: https://www.geany.org/ Lightweight, easy to use, and do exactly that: compile and execute programs with a few clicks of a mouse. VScodium is nice, I've tried it, but since most stuff I do right now is basic bash/python scripting, it felt a bit too much for that use-case, tho it does have some nice, quite handy features, and a lot of plugins to add even more functionality.

At work, I use Visual Studio (in Windows). In Linux, I prefer to stay with FOSS, so no VS Code.
To quote the text on VSCodium's project text.
Free/Libre Open Source Software Binaries of VS Code

This is not a fork. This is a repository of scripts to automatically build Microsoft's vscode repository into freely-licensed binaries with a community-driven default configuration.

I use VSCodium (Visual Studio Code is what I used to use while on Windows) for scripting in LUA, ZenScript, JavaScript and LSL, as well as to edit files such as JSON and INI.

For the purposes of learning and dabbling in Java, I use Eclipse.

If we're gonna use the GUI at all, we might as we'll take advantage of its full features...for example, being able to compile and execute programs with the click of a mouse.

I have some experience with code::blocks, but very little coding experience in linux by itself. Intellij and atom seem to have promising features. Given for now I'm just doing command line stuff and scripting with bash, I would like to know what more experienced programmers think of IDEs in linux. Is it better just to do everything manually through the bash with gcc etc.? Opinions appreciated if you want to share.

I've been using VSCode for awhile on Fedora 36 and very much like it, especially the way it integrates with "git". In addition, I also like the many very well written plugins available through the VSCode web site. Lately, I've been debugging and editing rather long complex bash scripts and these tools help a great deal.

I use vs code for most of my projects.There are some alternatives you can try if you want a IDE rather than a editor like pycharm("for python") eclipse("for java) and codeblocks ("for c/c++")

I use PyCharm on Windows, but when I'm writing Linux DevOps / automation stuff. (which is 95% of my development) I generally write it in Linux over ssh with just Vim. (I don't use Linux on the desktop)

For scripts, I just use vi. I used Eclipse for PHP and C for creating an interface for our FTP server back in 2016. The debugging is very good.

I use PHPStorm from Jetbrains. They do great job with its products, I think it's very good time saver

Best IDE for what?!
It really depends what sort of development you want to do.

There are tons of different IDE’s out there.
Some are specific to one language, others are more general purpose and can be used for several languages.

If you do a lot of different development, you might use a different IDE for different tasks.

Personally, I use vim in the terminal for pretty much everything.
If I want a more IDE-like experience, I’ll run Vim in tmux, so I can quickly add additional terminals in splits in the current window, for building/testing/grepping through the codebase. Vim can be set up as a capable IDE, but I don’t bother. I just use vim as my editor and add additional terminals to allow me to perform other tasks!

For debugging C/C++, I use gdb, or cgdb.
For debugging Python, I use pdb, the built-in Python debugger. Or jdb for Java, etc etc.

So I don’t typically use an IDE.

For more complex QT, or wxWidgets based projects, I’ll use QTCreator, or Code::Blocks (with the Codesmith plugin) respectively, just to be able to use the drag and drop RAD tools they provide for quickly creating GUI applications.

But I haven’t done anything with Code::Blocks or QTCreator for a long while!

Not an experienced programmer. Geany does the job for me. All of lecturers and students in my university use VsCode and Windows (Few of them use Macs) and I am the only one using Geany.
But most of the time, it is nano and vim.

Best IDE for what?!
It really depends what sort of development you want to do.

There are tons of different IDE’s out there.
Some are specific to one language, others are more general purpose and can be used for several languages.

If you do a lot of different development, you might use a different IDE for different tasks.

Personally, I use vim in the terminal for pretty much everything.
If I want a more IDE-like experience, I’ll run Vim in tmux, so I can quickly add additional terminals in splits in the current window, for building/testing/grepping through the codebase. Vim can be set up as a capable IDE, but I don’t bother. I just use vim as my editor and add additional terminals to allow me to perform other tasks!

For debugging C/C++, I use gdb, or cgdb.
For debugging Python, I use pdb, the built-in Python debugger. Or jdb for Java, etc etc.

So I don’t typically use an IDE.

For more complex QT, or wxWidgets based projects, I’ll use QTCreator, or Code::Blocks (with the Codesmith plugin) respectively, just to be able to use the drag and drop RAD tools they provide for quickly creating GUI applications.

But I haven’t done anything with Code::Blocks or QTCreator for a long while!
I personally like the terminal as well...

Members online