What would Distro would work on an old Dell Vostro 410?

Rob_Johnson_13

Reaction score
Credits
Hello everyone!

Recently, I was handed an old Dell Vostro 410 desktop(came installed with Windows Vista, Later upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate) and told to see if I could breathe new life into it. I was thinking that it would be an ok move to keep it on Windows, but I realized that it would be smart for it to run Linux now. I've browsed around a few options, but I don't know which ones would work for it. I've come across some distros, but I do not know which one would be the best one to go with. I'm leaning towards something lighter with how little I have to work with until I can afford buying new parts. What would work best?

For Specs, these are what I could find:

CPU : Intel Core 2 Duo E4600 /2.4 GHz, 4 core

System Type: x86-based pc

RAM : 3.00 physical memory Gigabytes RAM, (Around 2.0 Gigabytes virtual memory available)

Hard Drive : 160 Gigabytes (online source, not from the computer itself)

Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 3400 Series

Further spec information can be seen here:

I'm looking for this to be a basic at home computer. Video-watching, light programming, basic student needs and wants(word processor such as LibriOffice, possibly game emulation), and to learn Linux along the way. Any input is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!!!

Greetings Rob_Johnson, and welcome;
If i were doing what you are doing, I would hop on over to https://distrowatch.com and look at the right hand side for a list of different distros.
Scroll down until you reach Linux Mint and click on it. {Mint is pretty close to the top.}
A new window will open and give you a bunch of stuff to read. Read it.
I personally like LM Mate. It was the easiest for me to transition to Linux from Windows.
You can check out the specs to see if it would work for your machine.
Once again, Welcome and enjoy your stay.
Old Geezer
Tango Charlie

Mint, probably Mate or Xfce, would run very nicely on that hardware, and Distrowatch is a great resource for finding a variety of Linux and BSDs. You can search for distros that run on 32 bit x86, or ARM processors, x86_64 or many other configurations and varieties.

You could install Virtual Box and try as many distros as you like and that will help you to decide which one you like the most.

Linux Mint and Lubuntu are easy to run.

Members online

Latest posts