Purchase Linux CDs / DVDs / Flash Drives at OSDisc.com

Welcome to Our Community

While Linux.org has been around for a while, we recently changed management and had to purge most of the content (including users). If you signed up before April 23rd please sign up again. Thanks!

What was your first Linux distribution?

Discussion in 'General Linux' started by lucasbytegenius, Nov 22, 2011.

1. What was the first Linux distribution you tried?

My first was Knoppix, it was pretty good I thought, and it supported my old hardware :) Too bad I couldn't figure out how to install it at the time though.

What about you?

2. inexia

inexia Guest

Mandrake for me. I had to build drivers to make my sound card and 'modem' work. It was a labor of love that has not stopped for over a decade.

3. Rob

Rob Guest

Red Hat 3.0.3 (on a packard bell w/ a 540mb hd). Remember installing w/ floppies? ;)

4. inexia

inexia Guest

I still have my boot floppies for Mandrake 7.0 and SuSe 7.2 after all these years ;)

5. grim76

grim76 Guest

Red Hat 9.0 was my first dive into Linux and never looked back.

6. Jesi

Jesi Guest

Mandrake 7.2 Was my first. <3

I wonder what it would take to make a livefloppy/livecd carry around with my when I get nostalgic.

7. Victor Leigh

Victor Leigh Guest

Ubuntu was my first LInux distro. Can't remember the version. Now I am with Puppy Linux. Would like to get back to Ubuntu but beginning to fall more and more deeply in love with the Puppy.

8. oldlord

oldlord Guest

Fedora core 2... Beautiful but pain in the ....

9. How is it a PITA?

10. KenJackson

KenJackson Guest

Red Hat Linux.
    I think it was version 4.5, way back before Fedora. On my '486 system.

But the first distro I used productively was MandrivaLinux (I think version 7.x).

11. DaReaper

DaReaper Guest

I think the first i've tried was Ubuntu 4.10 Warty Warthog, i can't remember from whom i got it but i know i didn't personally download it.

Things improved and changed so much over the years with Ubuntu.

12. paolochicha

paolochicha Guest

My first distribution, and first introduction to UNIX-like systems in general, was Mandrake. I got it because I could buy the disk at Office Depot or some-such. This was early 2001-ish. Mandrake Linux doesn't even exist anymore, it became Mandriva.

I did the full install and got with it a ridiculous number of programs and a nice GUI for me to web-browse in. I didn't learn much about Linux or shell programming or shell commands or much at all until the day came I wanted to hook up a printer and couldn't. Building myself a new kernel made the printer work, but violated some dependency thing, and the RPM-based installer refused to do anything at all, ever again.

My next one was Gentoo and I had more luck with it.

13. Acronix

Acronix Guest

The first Linux distro I've tried was SLAX which is a Live CD version based on slackware. It was pretty neat and I was totally amazed at that time when I found out that it is possible to run a complete operating system from a CD. Then I went on to try Ubuntu and installed it as dual boot with my Windows OS.

14. Renzaku

Renzaku Guest

The first Linux distro that I tried and used was Ubuntu 9. I haven't really been using Linux for all too long (I started using it when I started taking computing science classes in high school).

15. Victor Leigh

Victor Leigh Guest

I am typing this on Slackware, too. In a version made by the Puppy people. They call it Slacko Puppy. Version 5.3.1. I like the way it makes connecting to the internet so easy. I dual boot with Windows 7.

16. kInOzAwA

kInOzAwA Guest

i started out with slackware 7 in the first try. :)

17. My first version of Linux that I used on the PC is Ubuntu 11.04, is very simple and intuitive.On notebook i used Debian with LXDE.
    Debian is much more customizable and with fewer errors ...
    But frankly, for a novice user would recommend Ubuntu.

18. pane-free

pane-free Guest

Jaunty Jackalope -- it seems so long ago, but nope!

19. DaReaper

DaReaper Guest

I believe Ubuntu 11 brought in Unity and some changes to it's music player. I'm guessing the music player should be reverted back to Rhythmbox from Banshee, cause Banshee has a couple of stability issues and for me Banshee even loaded up late during the initial startup.