What was your first Linux distribution and version of that distribution?

One of the many I have test run over the years [must be about 2007] I was not keen on the Knoppix base

One of the many I have test run over the years [must be about 2007] I was not keen on the Knoppix base
Hmm. Knoppix itself is quite nifty, though!

I've got last year's release running from a 64GB SanDisk Ultra 'Fit' thumb drive. Not too keen on all the KDE stuff, but that's personal taste; I played around with Kubuntu during my distro-hopping days - many moons ago - and had, shall we say, "issues" with it. Kinda put me off it, TBH.

But Klaus Knopper's implementation of it, along with Compiz and the famous rotating desktop 'cube', is first-class. I know it's one of these 'snapshot' in time type of things - very like Puppy, in fact; you can't update it - but I can forgive the guy a lot simply 'cos it's so much fun to use. And the sheer amount of applications he's crammed into it is unreal...

Mike. :p

First Linux distribution was Red Hat 5.2 on a cd, can't remember if it came with a magazine or something else. Late 90s. Seemed fun but so many things didn't work it wasn't ready to replace anything at the time. 20+ years later people still make jokes about the year of the Linux desktop.

Staff online