What To Do.

• Thread starter Deleted member 58530
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 58530

Hello Forum,

I have several good working desktops computers running Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 processors which have security vulnerabilities everyone knows the ones and more keep appearing.

The question is should I keep them and use them or should I take them all out to the farm and shoot them all full of bullet holes and be done with them.

I really hate to destroy perfectly working devices although Intel SUCKS and refuses to take care the problem which Intel created which leaves us chumps who trusted and purchased are now stuck with.

Sigh.

Personally, I think I'd hang onto them and use them... though, perhaps, with extra caution. Someone once said, "All software has bugs." And I believe this to be true. So to switch from Intel to AMD, or from new to old, or from old to new... only brings you to different bugs (maybe known, maybe still unknown). The only perfect computer security is to not use a computer. :eek:o_O:D

The Spectre/Meltdown problems have been patched for the most part (with more grumbling against Intel) by the OS producers. Linux kernel and microcode updates should mitigate these vulnerabilities, although there may be performance degradation. Here is a link to help determine if your system has been patched, especially easy for Arch-based and Ubuntu-based systems. My Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon reports that it is patched.

A thought that I sometimes consider too (because I also get very frustrated with the lack of computer security) is to remove the hard drive from my daily Internet computer and run only on a bootable DVD, such as Slax (for speed) or Knoppix (for more apps). That is not a perfect solution either and would be very inconvenient at times. But in a world now filled with "smart devices," it seems that more convenience always results in less security.

I recently replaced my 5-yr-old modem/router combo with a separate modem and router after shopping around for more secure routers. I'm still tweaking the setups, but I am happy so far with the new capabilities this router has provided. It isn't a perfect solution either, but it is now a stronger link in the chain.

Hang in there, my friend!

Cheers

Edit: Moved to Linux Security forum because it is very on-topic here. Posts in the Off Topic forum do not show up in Latest Activity and New Posts feeds, so most people miss them.

Thanks atanere for the encouragement on the intel core 2 duo processors as they are good processors.

It is frustrating to know that a manufacture of a product doesn't care enough to patch their own product which they knowingly let go out the door.

Thanks to the Linux devs for putting out the security patches that we have for these security vulnerabilities.

You're spot on about hardware A vs Hardware B as they do all seem to have there own bugs.

Yeah I do try to use smart habits when searching online and be cautious although one never knows what will crawl out of where.

Alright I'll hang on to these and use them as I mentioned I hate destroying working and capable computers.

Thanks again atanere for the encouragement.:)

What kind of security vulnerabilities.

kali linux ?....thats a security vulnerability all on its own
b_Zo_Rud6_-_Imgur.gif

btw..@atanere .How to tell if your Linux machine is patched against Meltdown and Spectre.....Brilliant article

jaFFW7m.jpg

Last edited:
Now Brian, be kind :mad:

Tom, have you thought about experimenting with something like TAILS - The Amnesic Incognito Live System - typically associated with a Live environment?

Wiz

Avagudweegend, all

Tom, have you thought about experimenting with something like TAILS - The Amnesic Incognito Live System - typically associated with a Live environment?

Wiz

Avagudweegend, all
I've dabbled with it a little bit in the past.

I read a lot about being added to an NSA watch list when using Tails.

I don't know if that may just be FUD but it wouldn't surprise me to find it to be true.

I have to do some looking into Tails and see what I can learn about who's looking at who if one is running Tails.

I'm not paranoid just cautious as I from that "Don't trust anyone over 30"
generation. o_O:rolleyes:

or KaLi LiNuX
Some good reads FWIW.

Members online