What to do already started..

Mike13Foxtrot

Reaction score
Credits
So I was given a case last Friday.
corsiar_vengeance_c70_006.jpg

Corsair vengeance c70 military green, 20 x 19.5 x 9 can hold 9 case fans. Cables and MB and LiteON DVD read/writer, are inside an older Gigabyte Xeon MB. Just bought a New desktop a few weeks ago. Have not built a PC in a few years. Well except PI's Already ordered an AMD Athlon 3000g CPU. Has Graphics so no need for a Vid card right away. 120 bucks. Looking at an ASUS MB that is upgradable to Ryzen's. I don't game anymore. 9 drive bays total. Still shopping MB Mem PS, and case fans. And of course which OS am I gonna run.

windows XP

(I kid too.)

Maybe 95...98...ME..... DOS 6.2......... I have them all even 3.5 disks with DOS 3.1 Still have a 3.5 Superdisk drive, a whopping 1.4 megs on disk. Still have floppy drives. I still have MFM drive that is 32 mb bought in 1994. I think I might be a nerd hoarder.

Mac OSX (I kid three)

I cut my teeth on DOS 3.1.

Not sure if this is better here, or in Hardware, or even in Off Topic, where we can gasbag and watch your build develop.

Too hard basket, Friday arvo here ... more beer.

Cheers and

Avagudweegend all

Wiz

Oooooppppppsssss. Yeah started this and said still shopping for blah blah blah.

Shop called me and said my AMD arrived. I have stuff shipped to work instead of house.

So today was done for the day and a block away from Cincy Microcenter. I'll just take a look I said.

Yeah it went horribly wrong. Am now the owner of an ASUS Prime B550-A with WiFi motherboard, and 18 gigs of Crucial ram. Still need a modular PS and 120mm case fans. Have the SSD's and an even a 120gb M2.

So I am no longer "shopping" for MB or Mem. Damn.

Pulled the trigger today, again, ordered the PS and fans, some extra cables. Then realized also older PC had 4 SATA cables and PCI-E graphics card. Also a multi card reader to USB header I am pillaging. Took the old mem and Intel CPU and MB out put them in a box. I seem to go all or nothing.

I have shelves in the basement with old PC's, parts, should get rid of them all. I even found a box of floppies with old BBS freeware programs. I guess there are 200-300 disks in there. I am a techie hoarder. Even found a Wolfenstein 3D disk, that is like 1992.

It's only money after all.... Again was down the street from Microcenter. Now I own a 5 fan touch screen controller some fan ext cables and a white LED case fan. Grabbed some extra mounting hardware, screws and standoffs. Because all the brass standoffs I own now are for Raspberry PI's.

So I guess I build this thing Sunday. And of course I bought a 256gb NVME M.2 PCI-E there are 2 spots on the board 1 PCIE and 1 SATA. I got a 256 SATA but it is in a USB 4 inch long case. Little portable HD.

Intend to install Win10 on the M.2 and then Linux on a 256 SATA SSD. Then I have Win to boot to and run programs off another drive. Then boot to Linux on the SATA. I will be running 3 SATA SSD's. 1-2 Linux then 3 will be Win programs. Maybe add a 4th 500 GB 3 1/2 SATA HD for storage also. Have all the SSD's already and they is empty. I seem to have a Nerd problem. ;)

Last edited:
Even found a Wolfenstein 3D disk, that is like 1992.

Loved that game. My home town was Brisbane Queensland Australia. Manaccom, makers of Wolfenstein, Doom, Duke Nukem et al, were HQ'ed there.

When Apple's iStore arrived, it set a different trend for distributon of games software, and so the family business behind Manaccom sold out and now run most of my country's Lotteries.

Just a bit if trivia and off-topic (bad Wizard) but mentioning Wolfie to me was like opening a stroll down Memory Lane.

Keep up the good work with the build and

Avagudweegend

Wizard

I'll just take a look I said
Yeah know that situation quite well.
Enjoy your build on Sundie.

Manaccom, makers of Wolfenstein, Doom, Duke Nukem et al, were HQ'ed there.
Well we live and learn as I was not aware of that but then was never that involved in gaming but had heard of the games.

So I was given a case last Friday. View attachment 8738

Corsair vengeance c70 military green, 20 x 19.5 x 9 can hold 9 case fans. Cables and MB and LiteON DVD read/writer, are inside an older Gigabyte Xeon MB. Just bought a New desktop a few weeks ago. Have not built a PC in a few years. Well except PI's Already ordered an AMD Athlon 3000g CPU. Has Graphics so no need for a Vid card right away. 120 bucks. Looking at an ASUS MB that is upgradable to Ryzen's. I don't game anymore. 9 drive bays total. Still shopping MB Mem PS, and case fans. And of course which OS am I gonna run.
I had 3 prior motherboards from ASUS that were excellent. I would advise against going with an ASUS motherboard because in my experience with them their quality has dropped sharply. The 4th ASUS motherboard fried itself just after a year. Also they claimed it had RAID which it didn't. I recommend you go with a Gigabyte motherboard for reliability.

I had 3 prior motherboards from ASUS that were excellent. I would advise against going with an ASUS motherboard because in my experience with them their quality has dropped sharply. The 4th ASUS motherboard fried itself just after a year. Also they claimed it had RAID which it didn't. I recommend you go with a Gigabyte motherboard for reliability.

Grabbed my first ASUS MB in 1996 Pentium 2. All black with gold chips looked cool worked fine. Now the new Prime B550M-A WIFI is working fine. The case had a Giga MB for an older Xeon. Have others I have built over the years either Intel, Gigabyte or ASUS. I have always stayed away from MSI after 1 just would not keep working. Still have the ASUS PII MB in a box. Just not practical anymore.

Grabbed my first ASUS MB in 1996 Pentium 2. All black with gold chips looked cool worked fine. Now the new Prime B550M-A WIFI is working fine. The case had a Giga MB for an older Xeon. Have others I have built over the years either Intel, Gigabyte or ASUS. I have always stayed away from MSI after 1 just would not keep working. Still have the ASUS PII MB in a box. Just not practical anymore.
I agree with you on MSI. I replaced the ASUS motherboard with a MSI which went up in smoke on the first boot. I took it back to Best Buy which they waranteed it. The second MSI motherboard died in a month. MSI is garbage. Anyone who claims MSI is good is a liar! I currently have a Gigabyte running 13 months so far. So far so good.

My first ASUS mobo had an AMD K6 (maybe K6-2?) 350 that I had OCed to run at ~450 MHz, which was as high as I could get it and still have a stable OS. The OS was actually Windows ME. For whatever reason, it ran like a champ on that hardware.

I spent ludicrous money upgrading it to a whopping 256 mb of RAM - at just over $1/mb. I remember that pretty well. It was like $280 + shipping and took like a month to arrive. I was styling with a 40 GB HDD, as memory serves. I had room for so many songs downloaded with Napster and WinMX. That was a feat all its own, 'cause my download rate was (on a good day) 10 minutes for 1 mb. It was usually slower, but I'd sometimes bridge the network connections together and use the other landline for nearly twice the bandwidth!

This was a step up from the cradle MODEM days (acoustic couplers). And, yes, MODEM. MOdulate and DEModulate.

Ahhh, the days of the beep, boop, screeeeech.... og the modem. I got a copy of ME, put it on my Sisters pc I built. Still got some of the old modems. Still got 95, ME, 98, 7 Vista all on disc. Bought that first ASUS above from Overstock.com when they were actually cheap. Got an old Intel PIII mb for 25 bucks new. Month later a local store still had 250 on same board. Overstock used to be the bottom feader of the Dot com crash.

See my #5 above.

I am moving this to Off Topic, I don't mind the gasbagging (quite enjoy it) but it is not a Support Thread.

Cheers

Wiz

MSI is garbage. Anyone who claims MSI is good is a liar! I currently have a Gigabyte running 13 months so far. So far so good.
The experiences with MB's here is interesting helping me to understand which MB's are not worth even considering when I decide to make my next box of wizardry based AMD's Ryzen family CPU's.
At the moment I have been running on an ASRock FM2A88X MB for the past six years with no complaints so far. CPU is a AMD quad core Athlon.
When I was deciding what MB to use for my new M/C I was looking at MSI, after hearing what you said I am glad that I chose otherwise.

Members online