What the word Ubuntu means.

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
I was actually doing some research for an article and I got distracted, as I often do. I bumped into this:

(I like that site, though the layout is horrible the content is nice.)

This thread may lead to some digression, so I'm not sure if it'd be better placed in off-topic.

Below quoted from above link.

"Ubuntu (Zulu pronunciation: [ùɓúntʼù])[1] is a Nguni Bantu term meaning "humanity". It is sometimes translated as "I am because we are", or "humanity towards others", or in Zulu umuntu ngumuntu ngabantu, in Xhosa, umntu ngumntu ngabantu but is often used in a more philosophical sense to mean "the belief in a universal bond of sharing that connects all humanity".[2]"

LOL Oh, come on now. There are distros that are actually an ordeal to install. Gentoo is a pain in the bum to install. Debian is pretty trivial.

I've heard other variations too.... like, "Look, Ma, my wireless internet is finally working!" :p

I knew I should have put this in off-topic! Sometimes we gab like old ladies!

Anyhow, I did a refined/advanced search in NewEgg's wireless adapter section (this was a while back) for "Linux" and it steered me to a device made by 'netis'. I'd never heard of that brand before, but it was cheap and I wasn't all that picky.

Sure enough, it contained an RTL8192CU chip and a reboot was all that Lubuntu needed to properly recognize the device. For so many wireless devices, I end up downloading unknown (at least unread) drivers from GitHub and just hope they compile properly. The one with the RTL8192CU chip in it was like $8.00 with a couple of large antennas and a stand. Not a bad deal and it just worked. I haven't actually checked to see if it is just recognized by other distros. I should do that. I have more than Lubuntu on bare metal.

As a complete apprentice in the subject of linux I've practically only used ubuntu-based things until now (using elementary, but I started in linux with 16.04 or something)

So the other day i was testing last Ubuntu version and freaked out about what i saw, which was the shamefully irritating way they the common user is being induced to use snap to install programs

Not to mention how it weighs storage capacity as far as I know, there was a popup window programmed to cover the entire screen at every system startup (no minimize or close options, just "proceed")

I believe that there must have been a good reason to choose this word in the beginning, but now it has aged badly

@Rafaelys

No one is forcing any user to use Snap.
Snap can be easily and safely removed.

If a user wants non Snap software than just install Synaptic Package Manager and install software using Synaptic Package Manager.

You can also install non Snap software using the command terminal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online