What Should I Do With This Server?

9daemon

Reaction score
Credits
so I have a home server set up that nobody in my house wants to use. I was going to set it up to be a file server/backup kind of thing but apparently everyone would rather just use up of gigs of storage on their devices instead. I want to use it as more than a backup server. I've heard of using home servers for media, downloading files, and backups. what could I use it for besides that stuff? it's an Ubuntu server running on virtualbox.

so I have a home server set up that nobody in my house wants to use. I was going to set it up to be a file server/backup kind of thing but apparently everyone would rather just use up of gigs of storage on their devices instead. I want to use it as more than a backup server. I've heard of using home servers for media, downloading files, and backups. what could I use it for besides that stuff? it's an Ubuntu server running on virtualbox.

I'm in the same boat. I just pulled my old Ubuntu Server out from under a pile of stuff in the basement. The last time I used it, I was just trying to learn. Even put in there WD Red drives and ran then in raid5. I got as far as setting it up as a Plex server. I also stored 130 GBs of lossless music on it. I think I just got too busy and kind of dragged away from it. It was running Ubuntu Server 12.*.*, so that's how long it's been. I just installed 18.04.1. So I guess I'm off to the races again... Starting all over.
Maybe you could try your own cloud server. I just watched this video. The guy makes it look too easy:
Good luck whatever you try.
fewjr

Members online

Latest posts