What Linux Essentials training manual should I use

kd7vea

Reaction score
Credits
I have been playing with linux for a few years now, a lot of it has been working with tutorials on line that walked me step by step through the process of getting things set up. I have set up an Email server, a few webservers. PBX, Samba servers and a few other odds and ends and I have been using Raspberry pi's for almost 4 years now. I am okay at the command line, but far from a pro. I can do a lot of the basics like setting up users, changing file rights, installing packages... I am an IT administrator and deal about 20% in Linux right now. A linux sysadmin position is opening up soon, and the plan is to work my self into that position in the next 7 months. I have the LPIC-1 training guide(The new version 5 that just came out) but I started thinking, I know I'm not an absolute beginner, but I bet the Linux Essentials Certification train could at least confirm, and I'm sure there will be items that I haven't touched before. So, my question is, it worth starting with the essentials training? If so. what book to use. The LPIC certification guide for the new Version1.6 wont be released until January, and I need to be studying right now. the version 1 book that is available right now is from 2015. I now I would pick up useful info from it, but is there a better option? Thanks in advance for the advice, and I look forward to skimming through the forum.

So the CompTIA Linux+ plus exam was using the same test as the LPIC1 exams until the beginning of September(or October), so the Link you posted is covering the new 101-500 and 102-500 exams which is what Ialready have books for https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/111966411X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. I just don't know if I should start with the older Linux essentials book, or if its worth my time where I think I have most of the essentials down at this point, but I'm sure I would pick up some things, but may not give me everything I need to pass the essentials test. I am just hoping that I don't run into a lot in the LPIC-1 book that would of made more sense If I had read the Essentials Certification book/ got the linux essentials certification first. I should also add that I am not required to be certified, the certifications will just help me feel more confident when I move into the sys admin position, but also show my boss that I am working hard to move up to that position and that I can handle whats thrown at me. other than my work computer (I mainly support windows, so I run windows at work) I have pulled out all of my home windows machines and put in Linux workstations. no better way to learn than to work on Linux everyday.

Last edited:
I'm not so sure that the older Linux essential books would be that helpful.
Things change fast these days.

Sounds like you are already on the right track and have the right books.
We have one of the greatest resources, Google. Do a few searches and see what you can find that's new for LPIC.

Some of the exams are expensive. On another note, certification could increase your pay rate and put you in a higher bracket if you wish.

Congrats on all of the Linux workstations that you set up.
Agreed, working with Linux everyday is the best way to get better at running it.

Thanks for the info. I did find a Linux essentials course on pluralsite, so I’m going to go through that this weekend. It’s only 4 hours long, and I really think it’s only going to clear up a few things, I don’t expect to learn a lot from the course, but I k ow there will be the one or two things that just click and all of the sudden a world of other things make sense (like when I learned about Vlans).
I know the tests are a little pricey, but I work for a city government, so they will cover me test costs as long as I pass, so I’m just going to get certified in everything I will deal with. Like I stated earlier, it’s only partly about getting that piece of paper, but mostly, passing the test will build my confidence that I will be able to handle what Evers thrown at me.

You're Welcome-:)

That's great that your employer will cover the cost of the exams for you.

The RH Exam that I wanted to take is $700.00......so that's why I haven't pursued it. Anyway:

Experience and confidence go together well.

Best wishes and good luck.

Members online