What it do

karimfc

Reaction score
Credits
Hi everyone! I've dealt with rooting phones, and mobile platforms for a couple of years, so I thought it was time to move up and learn something new. In addition to being a U.S. Army wife, I also am a mom to 4 children, all grown, and one fur-baby as well as being a full-time student in culinary school and have a full-time job at home. I am excited to meet new people, and learn new things, y'all just gotta be patient with a mutha, ya dig? lol

Welcome again :)

May we call you Kari or other, or do you prefer @karimfc or Hey You?

I also am a mom to 4 children, all grown

More importantly, have you kicked them out yet? :D

What sort of fur-baby?

full-time student in culinary school

Yum, I only live 10,000 miles away (east-coast Australia), I'll be over for dinner (wearing my mask)

have a full-time job at home.

I am Carer to my invalid wife.

So why the interest in Nitrux? (and we'll see if we can get that Thread back on track).

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Welcome again :)

May we call you Kari or other, or do you prefer @karimfc or Hey You?

More importantly, have you kicked them out yet? :D

What sort of fur-baby?

Yum, I only live 10,000 miles away (east-coast Australia), I'll be over for dinner (wearing my mask)

I am Carer to my invalid wife.

So why the interest in Nitrux? (and we'll see if we can get that Thread back on track).

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz
Kari is good. Lol. And yes, all of my children are out of my house. The fur baby, we call her "Her Rotten-ness", ya know, like her highness, but totally 1000% rotten. She's great though, my sweet little cocker Spaniel. And I love to cook, so open invite, lol. Graduation is 3 weeks away, and I'm in the top 5% of my class. There's about 600 of us this block. I, also, took care of my mother, at least up until she passed 4 years ago, and before that my ex's mother, until she passed. Takes a special kind of person to take care of someone that can't themselves, so kudos to you my man. As far as nitrux, it's not that that particular distro is a must, it just caught my attention. I had a computer with mint cinnamon 20.1 on it, but my husband crashed it and the whole hard drive got wiped somehow, he doesn't know, so he said. I didn't really like that version much, but then again I never really got to play around with it much. Nitrux was said to be a good distro for beginners to start with. Zorin was also. I have installed a Linux os beside a windows of before, but it was so long ago I don't really remember the prep for the computer. I was just on here wondering if anyone knew anything about nitrux os already and if they would share their opinion with me about it.

Did someone say fur bay ??......note my avatar

Welcome Kari, our prior dust up is forgotten.

I see you have already made the acquaintance of Charlie (old geezer)......he is well into his eighties, ( older than me, but not by that much!) and a valuable part of the team here.....much loved and respected by all.

Culinary school?...food?......I just may catch a flight with Wiz!

Welcome.

Brian

Brian's wife Te is Filipino, and cooks up a storm (even has her own cooking channel), so he is spoilt. :)

As is Belle, his canine grand old lady.

Brian and I have "known" each other over 6 years, 3 years at another Forum, where I got banned from, but that is another story.

He and Te have moved around the country and around the world, and now they are back living in a town only 156 km (just under 100 ml) away, in another state. We hope to meet soon (after COVID shots), but I am undecided whether I am more interested in having a hug with Brian, tasting Te's cooking, or having a chat (woof) with Belle.

Cheers

Chris

Wow, that's so cool. I want my own cooking show. Thought about doing something on YouTube, one day. If I ever find the time. Ive had several medical procedures recently, and another round within the next 2 weeks, so I've had to slow things down quite a bit. Anywho, I'm hitting the hay, goodnight to y'all

Sleep well and good luck with the procedures, might catch you over the weekend

Chris

Hi everyone! I've dealt with rooting phones, and mobile platforms for a couple of years, so I thought it was time to move up and learn something new. In addition to being a U.S. Army wife, I also am a mom to 4 children, all grown, and one fur-baby as well as being a full-time student in culinary school and have a full-time job at home. I am excited to meet new people, and learn new things, y'all just gotta be patient with a mutha, ya dig? lol
Welcome @karimfc! I am ex-USAF, but I won't hold that against you or your hubby. :) I am retired, so reading all of the things you are doing is wearing me out. I think it's time for beer, then nap. I love retirement, if you can't tell. Good luck on your upcoming medical procedure, and good luck on your Linux journey. Linux is the best thing since... well... beer. :D

Welcome @karimfc! I am ex-USAF, but I won't hold that against you or your hubby. :) I am retired, so reading all of the things you are doing is wearing me out. I think it's time for beer, then nap. I love retirement, if you can't tell. Good luck on your upcoming medical procedure, and good luck on your Linux journey. Linux is the best thing since... well... beer. :D

Lmao, to be honest, I'm the type of person that is about as far from the military type person as you can get. Kinda been a bit of an outlaw my whole life, but my husband, well, he balances me, very well. Lol, and both of his parents are also retires USAF, so you don't really have much that you could hold against me now, do ya? Lol. Thanks for the welcome and warm wishes. To you as well.

Welcome to the community @karimfc! What got you interested in GNU/Linux and what made you choose Nitrux, first time hearing of that distribution?

Welcome to the linux.org forums @karimfc !

My son went to culinary school in Denver some years ago. He worked his way up in Denver restaurants and Portland, Maine restaurants and got recruited by an outfit in California where he has opened 6 or 7 new establishments for them. He currently enjoys a very successful career in the restaurant business.

Sounds like your 'plate is full' being a Mom of four + 1, full-time student, full time job, and budding computer Geek!!!

I have used Linux for about 16 years and during that time I have joined and or perused many, many Linux forums - this one right here is one of (if not the) best! :cool:

Welcome to the community @karimfc! What got you interested in GNU/Linux and what made you choose Nitrux, first time hearing of that distribution?
Thanks! Actually, my father in law got me interested in Linux. He's always speaking computer jargon, and I feel like an idiot when I haven't a clue what he's saying. I would like to impress him at Christmas dinner this year, I think that will get me major brownie points, lol. They already love me for my cooking, and my personality, and I would just like to add this to the list, ya know? Nitrux... idk. I was looking at Zorin OS and saw nitrux also. Was just wondering if anyone else had heard of or used it, and what their opinion of it was.

My son went to culinary school in Denver some years ago. He worked his way up in Denver restaurants and Portland, Maine restaurants and got recruited by an outfit in California where he has opened 6 or 7 new establishments for them. He currently enjoys a very successful career in the restaurant business.

Sounds like your 'plate is full' being a Mom of four + 1, full-time student, full time job, and budding computer Geek!!!

I have used Linux for about 16 years and during that time I have joined and or perused many, many Linux forums - this one right here is one of (if not the) best! :cool:
Thanks. Dont forget to add full time wife to that list, lol. Sometimes, I wonder how men make it in this world without a woman. Lord knows my husband couldn't, lol.

My school is actually 100% online for me, but it also has a campus in Texas, and it's home base is in Boulder.

I was looking at Zorin OS and saw nitrux also.
I don't know Nitrux, but Zorin Lite is my daily Linux right now. The "full" Zorin is not free, but the Lite and educational versions are. It is based on Ubuntu, and I would guess that it would run very well on your laptop, even from USB.

There are hundreds of different Linux, but they are really all quite similar with a few exceptions... like how they manage "packages"... that is, how they update their software. Debian (.deb) and RedHat (.rpm) are the most prominent, but there are a few others. Many derivative distros use one of these two package management systems. To understand "derivatives" a little better, consider that Zorin (and Linux Mint, and many others) is based on Ubuntu... and Ubuntu is based on Debian. This means that there is a lot of common features, and common software, that they all can share. And if troubleshooting a problem for Zorin, you might find your solution from someone using Ubuntu or Debian.

The main difference you will see and notice is what Desktop Environment (DE) that each distribution uses. And some distributions offer many DE's. The number of DE's is much shorter than the number of distros, but there may be up around a couple of dozen. Some DE's are "traditional"... looking similar to Windows, and some are more "modern"... looking, uh, different... like Gnome 3 (the standard used by Ubuntu, although Ubuntu offers many other choices). The graphical desktop is the look and feel that you will notice... and it's worth trying several different distro/desktop combinations to discover what suits you best. We all have our favorites, but you will have to figure out for yourself which one(s) are most comfortable for you. That's part of the fun! :)

there may be up around a couple of dozen.

I got curious and wasn't able to find an exhaustive list of DEs. I did find this Wikipedia Page with 37 on it. Some searching around for other lists indicates that the Wikipedia page isn't complete.

So, now I want to know how many DEs there are!

I got curious and wasn't able to find an exhaustive list of DEs. I did find this Wikipedia Page with 37 on it. Some searching around for other lists indicates that the Wikipedia page isn't complete.

So, now I want to know how many DEs there are!
Wow! But if you take away all those that I never heard of, we'll be closer to a couple of dozen. ;)

And I didn't want to confuse further to mention Window Managers (WM's). :eek:o_O

Wow! But if you take away all those that I never heard of, we'll be closer to a couple of dozen.

Right? I can safely say that I've maybe poked at half of them in one form or another. Maybe slightly more than half.

Members online

Latest posts