What is your favorite quote

Brickwizard

Reaction score
Credits

A lot of Keynes quotes are great, although many would break the rules as they are political. An economic one:

But this long run is a misleading guide to current affairs. In the long run we are all dead.
Economists set themselves too easy, too useless a task, if in tempestuous seasons they can only tell us, that when the storm is long past, the ocean is flat again.

And Orwell's opening lines to the essay 'England your England'

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

They do not feel any enmity against me as an individual, nor I against them. They are ‘only doing their duty’, as the saying goes. Most of them, I have no doubt, are kind-hearted law-abiding men who would never dream of committing murder in private life. On the other hand, if one of them succeeds in blowing me to pieces with a well-placed bomb, he will never sleep any the worse for it. He is serving his country, which has the power to absolve him from evil.

Albert Einstein's quotes works for me:

"Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent People Ignore."

"What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right."

"Thinking is hard work; that's why so few do it."

"The only thing more dangerous than ignorance is arrogance."

"Follow your bliss - and doors will open you never knew were there."
- Joseph Campbell

"A man that has never been lost is a man who never new were he was going" - Rev H

if you always do, what you've always done; you will always get what you've gotten

I don't really have a favorite, there are many I like including the ones in my signature. Another I like is this one:
“Death smiles on us all. All a man can do is smile back.” – Marcus Aurelius

I found another quote I really like but there is debate about who said it, it's the following.
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize."

Albert Einstein quotes on making mistakes:
Failure is success in progress.

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.

Albert Einstein on learning:
Once you stop learning, you start dying.

Don't listen to the person who has the answers; listen to the person who has the questions.

Experience is knowledge. All the rest is information.

Albert Einstein on genius:
Genius is making complex ideas simple, not making simple ideas complex.

Genius is 1% talent and 99% percent hard work.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

One quote that I learnt from Rabbie Burns whilst I was young
The best laid schemes o' mice an' men Gang aft a-gley,
And lea'e us naught but grief and pain. For promised joy. – Robert Burns.

My books kept me from the ring, the dog-pit, the tavern, and the saloon.
The associate of Pope and Addison, the mind accustomed to the noble though silent discourse of Shakespeare and Milton, will hardly seek or put up with low or evil company and slaves. – Thomas Hood. (1799 – 1845)

Thinking leads man to knowledge. He may see and hear, and read and learn, whatever he pleases, and as much as he pleases; he will never know anything of it, except that which he has thought over, that which by thinking he has made the property of his mind. – Johann Heinrich Pestalozzi.(1746 – 1827)

When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.
Marcus Aurelius.

This is just a small selection of the quotes that I like.

Rabbie Burns

I am anti-patriotic really, but some of his words seem really miles ahead of their time. Really brunt and upfront, like a Bukowski of his time.

Ye see yon birkie ca’d a lord,
Wha struts, an’ stares, an’ a’ that,
Tho’ hundreds worship at his word,
He’s but a coof for a’ that.
For a’ that, an’ a’ that,
His ribband, star, an’ a’ that,
The man o’ independent mind,
He looks an’ laughs at a’ that.

And....

For Lords or Kings I dinna mourn,
E’en let them die—for that they’re born!

And one that non-Scots might comprehend

While Europe's eye is fix'd on mighty things,
The fate of Empires and the fall of Kings;
While quacks of State must each produce his plan,
And even children lisp the Rights of Man;
Amid this mighty fuss just let me mention,
The Rights of Woman merit some attention.

And one that non-Scots might comprehend
I like to read his works the way he wrote them.
Here is something that he wrote that aligns with your last quote.

Woman is the blood-royal of life; let there be slight degrees of precedency among them, but let them be all sacred. – Robert Burns (1759 – 1796)

“Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!”

Billy Connolly

Members online