What is your favorite pi OS

Raspberry PI OS upgraded to Debian unstable.
Manjaro KDE is pretty nice as well, I am just too old and lazy to learn new tricks.
Twister is talking about basing their next release on Ubuntu.
Code:
pi@raspberrypi 
-------------- 
Host: Raspberry Pi 400 Rev 1.0 
Kernel: 5.10.36-v8+ 
Uptime: 19 hours, 9 mins 
Packages: 2356 (dpkg), 12 (flatpak) 
Shell: bash 5.1.8 
Resolution: 1920x1080 
DE: LXDE 
WM: Openbox 
WM Theme: Onyx 
Theme: PiX [GTK3] 
Icons: PiXflat [GTK3] 
Terminal: lxterminal 
Terminal Font: Monospace 10 
CPU: BCM2835 (4) @ 2.000GHz 
Memory: 1189MiB / 3794MiB

well @Nelson Muntz as i understand it ; someone within the education system / ICT side Cambridge noted that students seemed to be less knowledgeable than previous years. It was probably part of the marketing for the PI in that they said lets make a PC where you can actually see the motherboard ..

Then i think a sort of sheep mentality kicked in and it became a sort of fashion to use the PI. Now i was involved with an NGO Ghana that used computers to educate kids. So i took a couple of PI's with me. AT the time i also shipped about 20 ex-military panasonic alumin cased toughbook laptops, that only had .512gig ram. the first thing i decided was that Pi's were no good for the 3rd world- the PI had only a HMDI port. Thats meant i since i din't ship any monitors finding monitors with a HMDI connection. in Ghana - there were none only VGA . Then there was the capability of the PI quite frankly not that great .

On the toughbook laptops i did before travelling manage to buy compatible ram for the old machine with an extra .512 g ram and managed to install Antix- several of those got donated to a childrens hospital.

My conclusion for 3rd world was simply to get hold of anything around Pentium IV or better with 2 gig of ram and then there was a lot of potential to do things. Those types of PC towers which although dusty arev much in abundance on markets such as laPaz etc

The only thing i can see the PI has that sat an old Pentium IV tower does not are the pins.

In terms of educating kids i found that taking an old defunct PC tower apart and let them handle the mother board etc was just as educational as a small motherboard in a bit of see through plastic. ARM architecture might be the future but as of to date the PI holds little interest. I see similarities in requirement of schools using microsoft as to those that are Pi mad. I guess thats probably a bit harsh in that there was a quantum jump in that at least PC's went from OS Microsoft to OS Linux. Also i've seen statments along the lines of PI's are cheap - not really compared to an old but still good Pentium IV and above. So for me a would rather buy a tower from ebay and use it to play with than sa new PI.

At the end of the day you pays your money and takes your choice.

Last edited:
I really like my PI400. $100 for a computer that included a keyboard, mouse, power adapter, hdmi cable, was a pretty good deal.
I installed the Pi OS arm64 then changed my sources.list to include Debian sid and upgraded.
I recently installed MATE and I have to say it is a really nice desktop.
Screenshot at 2021-05-28 22-19-33.png

@craigevil, very nice desktop!

I have a 3B+ and a 4B... they are mostly just for tinkering (with software, not GPIO). The 3B+ runs Raspberry Pi OS 64-bit right now, and the 4B has OpenBSD 6.9. Both are currently in service with 5 other computers providing a test setup variety for inxi software developer @h2-1. It's been helpful for him to access different systems, and helpful for me to learn more about FreeBSD and OpenBSD, as well as other things in the process.

Kodi on a Pi Zero W, installed in a model tank sits by the TV it connects to. Voumio on a 3B+ installed in a tower speaker box runs internet radio stations. Pi OS on a 3B+ installed in a PiTop CEED got a few years ago at Microcenter for 70 bucks. A B3+ with Pi OS on a Lipo charger board and connected to a 7 inch TS. I probably should talk to a professional and seek help. :D

well @Nelson Muntz as i understand it ; someone within the education system / ICT side Cambridge noted that students seemed to be less knowledgeable than previous years. It was probably part of the marketing for the PI in that they said lets make a PC where you can actually see the motherboard ..

Then i think a sort of sheep mentality kicked in and it became a sort of fashion to use the PI. Now i was involved with an NGO Ghana that used computers to educate kids. So i took a couple of PI's with me. AT the time i also shipped about 20 ex-military panasonic alumin cased toughbook laptops, that only had .512gig ram. the first thing i decided was that Pi's were no good for the 3rd world- the PI had only a HMDI port. Thats meant i since i din't ship any monitors finding monitors with a HMDI connection. in Ghana - there were none only VGA . Then there was the capability of the PI quite frankly not that great .

On the toughbook laptops i did before travelling manage to buy compatible ram for the old machine with an extra .512 g ram and managed to install Antix- several of those got donated to a childrens hospital.

My conclusion for 3rd world was simply to get hold of anything around Pentium IV or better with 2 gig of ram and then there was a lot of potential to do things. Those types of PC towers which although dusty arev much in abundance on markets such as laPaz etc

The only thing i can see the PI has that sat an old Pentium IV tower does not are the pins.

In terms of educating kids i found that taking an old defunct PC tower apart and let them handle the mother board etc was just as educational as a small motherboard in a bit of see through plastic. ARM architecture might be the future but as of to date the PI holds little interest. I see similarities in requirement of schools using microsoft as to those that are Pi mad. I guess thats probably a bit harsh in that there was a quantum jump in that at least PC's went from OS Microsoft to OS Linux. Also i've seen statments along the lines of PI's are cheap - not really compared to an old but still good Pentium IV and above. So for me a would rather buy a tower from ebay and use it to play with than sa new PI.

At the end of the day you pays your money and takes your choice.
Mate,
I see what you mean, but adding a simple vga adapter cable, like I did, allows one to use the Pi with an older monitor, and recover the hdmi audio too. While it is not as powerfull as the 8 core, dual monitor system on my bench at work, it works well for me at home.
I can also plug the large breadboard I have into it, PROPERLY BUFFFERED, and do circuit development.

Happy Trails,
Paul

Last edited:
yes i got one of them but do you know how much one of them cost from maplin before they disappeared from the high St ! This what you hsve to factor in when considering the 3rd World ps i also looked at banana board, beagle board and a few others

yes i got one of them but do you know how much one of them cost from maplin before they disappeared from the high St ! This what you hsve to factor in when considering the 3rd World ps i also looked at banana board, beagle board and a few others
Yeah, the Pi has a lot of competition in the market now, that is for certain!

I really like my PI400. $100 for a computer that included a keyboard, mouse, power adapter, hdmi cable, was a pretty good deal.
I installed the Pi OS arm64 then changed my sources.list to include Debian sid and upgraded.
I recently installed MATE and I have to say it is a really nice desktop.
View attachment 9427
477.jpg

I've thought about getting a pi but just can't see any advantage of a pi over the computers I have.
Well, you can leave it connected to someone's Ethernet hole in their place of business, like Starbucks, and just watch and wait when people start getting suspicious. Bonus points if you can give off the vibe of being an IT guy debugging the Network. You can just say it's for the Ethernet COM Port Host I.P. WAN. And you could redirect everyone's PCs to 4Chan or the Linux Kernel Mailing List.
Dr. Stein.jpg

Since I have Pi's I had to geek out on the 1 Win10 PC. Using a Pi 3B+ and the Touchscreen, which also has a power switch hat attached, I installed https://www.mod-bros.com/ system monitor.

Their Modification to Pi OS boots straight into ModBro and first setup uses the Pi as a Wifi hotspot to connect to Laptop or Smartphone on first setup. Then it using hardware monitoring from Open Hardware, Libre Hardware, HWifo or Aida64.

Had the Pi and was not using it much. Now it at least has a purpose.

I have two sd cards one is for the stock raspberry os the other is Ubuntu I like them both.
Im gonna have to partition my ssd to run both now right?

Have the Pi as stated above. Have a 3B+ inside the PiTop Ceed, 14 inch monitor Pi installed at the bottom. Got it couple of years ago at MicroCenter for under 50 bucks as a clearance Item.

Have a Pi ZeroW inside a Grant tank model, runs Kodi sits in front of the TV. Another ZeroW with a Lipo hat attached. And A 3B+ installed in the top of a tower speaker hanging from the Plexi top I cut running Volumio for Internet radio. Still have a 3A+ and a couple ZeroW's in the boxes. Kinda geek out territory.

In the drawer, gathering dust, are a 3B and a 3B+. On the desk and table tops, are one Pi4-2Gig running 7/24 as a NAS server. A Pi4-4Gig as a mail client (I have two domain names and about a dozen active email addresses) and a third Pi4-4 running BSD Unix.
Why Pi-s? Cost of electricity...I live in a region that reaches triple digit temperatures F, (or 40 degrees C) and reduction of electricity usage is paramount.
But I love the RPi units, anyway.

EDIT:
Oh, I forgot, the Pis that are the NAS and Mail Client are running Raspbdian.

Last edited:
The Register has reported that the Pi 4 and 400 run... wait for it...

Windows 11?!?

Not saying that it's my favorite, but it's really interesting that Microsoft is being that lax with hardware requirements for their dev builds of Windows 11.

Usually Raspbian or PiStar; which is based on Raspbian. It does the job and I don't use my Pis as a desktop. Normally it just runs cronjobs, other services, or as a testbed for some hobby, proof of concept or something else I'm interested in at that moment.

Members online

Latest posts