What is your favorite O/S?

S

spaceinvader

never did I think a .99 O/S would make me dump Windows!
Peppermint 3 flies

Attachments

• ScreenshotPeppermint1.jpg.png
    ScreenshotPeppermint1.jpg.png
    350 KB · Views: 1,110

I'm pretty happy with Mint 15 w/Cinnamon currently. Stable and seems to run pretty light on my laptop. Easy to customize and being Ubuntu based, it's easy to find a wide range of apps for it.

I've tried a few dozen Linux distos over the years (in VMs and dual boot) but I am running Linux Mint 15 Cinnamon 64 on my laptop right now. It's a perfect balance for me. Though I've tinkered in Linux for over 15 years, this is the first time I have ditched the W and not dual booted.

Morenci

My own 4.12 based OS Anitaos based loosely on Puppy Linux 4.12.

I also appreciate Debian GNULinux - I have used quite a few packages from Squeeze to use with Anitaos, also slackware.

I'm pretty happy with Mint 15 w/Cinnamon currently. Stable and seems to run pretty light on my laptop. Easy to customize and being Ubuntu based, it's easy to find a wide range of apps for it.
yes mint 15 is good i can find all the apps i need.

Slackware is my fav, although right now i have been sitting great with Linux Mint 15 64bit Cinnamon Edition, and Peppermint OS Four on my laptop.

Wait for the explanation!

Windows XP.

Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom, created the dumbest OS ever. Win XP running inside VirtualBox sees VirtualBox as the same hardware no matter which physical computer it's loaded on or what version of VB it's running in.

This means that you can create a single registered copy of XP as a VB .vdi file and port it over on to any number of different Linux computers. So you only need one legitimate registered license to run XP on multiple systems inside VirtualBox.

You can backup and restore a .vdi file easily using the "split" and "cat" commands in a terminal on almost any Linux OS.

Linux as your primary OS and Windows XP in VB -- the best of both worlds.

Windows XP.

Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom, created the dumbest OS ever. Win XP running inside VirtualBox sees VirtualBox as the same hardware no matter which physical computer it's loaded on or what version of VB it's running in.

This means that you can create a single registered copy of XP as a VB .vdi file and port it over on to any number of different Linux computers. So you only need one legitimate registered license to run XP on multiple systems inside VirtualBox.

You can backup and restore a .vdi file easily using the "split" and "cat" commands in a terminal on almost any Linux OS.

Brilliant!

Windows XP.

And I can play KOTOR nicely. ;)

Been playing with Absolute Linux - based on slack and is binary compatabile.

It is kind of sad really. I would have to say my favorite at the moment is Slackware.. What is sad though is that I don't actually have a machine running it. Instead I'm stuck running windows 7 and OSX currently.

The more I learn though about the current state of our laws, and the way they are being abused, the more I find myself wanting to dive into open source and leave all closed systems behind. It disgusts me to see the way these companies fight against anything new.

I've had my share of tweaking linux. Now I'm happy with using Xubuntu.
And I'm surprised nobody above has mentioned Xubuntu or some other Xfce spins.

I've had my share of tweaking linux. Now I'm happy with using Xubuntu.
And I'm surprised nobody above has mentioned Xubuntu or some other Xfce spins.

Xfce is a great choice for any Linux distro being used to manage robotic hardware due to its low resource consumption. Lubuntu (LXDE) is also a great choice for such hardware.

Xfce is a great choice for any Linux distro being used to manage robotic hardware due to its low resource consumption. Lubuntu (LXDE) is also a great choice for such hardware.
I don't really care about resource consumption.
People like Xfce more because it is bare minimum and we can customize it based on our needs. It is indeed quick and lightweight.

Members online