What is your favorite font or font family?

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
Mine is Helvetica.

Arial, Veranda, and DejaVu Sans are also nice.

I'm not too picky with monospaced fonts.

I don't really have a favorite, I think I mostly use Arial and Times when it comes to e-mails and documents and in my terminal I use Monospace Regular.

Last edited:
Only font settings I have changed are in terminal and vscode, both are set to use Fira Code. Everything else is default.

I've got a number of websites, so I do pay attention to fonts. This is actually a holdover from when I still owned my business. One of the metrics we measured was the impact of fonts on signage. Also, every font designer I ever met was a bit unusual.

I use Monospace

I too use Monospace Regular in the terminal. I recently switched the 'code' section of my Linux Tips site to Ubuntu Mono, which is pretty nice.

Fira Code

I looked that up. I could stand staring at that for long periods of time. It's seemingly pretty easy on the eyes.

There used to be an IBM mono that I liked quite a bit, but I don't think I've seen it available as one of the default choices in anything lately.

Ah, I went looking. IBM Plex Mono.

my favorite use to be Lucidia hand but that doesn't seem to be available any more so for my personal work I tend to use free script, on line I use whatever is default,

Ah, don't get me started. I'm not a professional but I do like my fonts.

Ah, I went looking. IBM Plex Mono.
Yes! IBM Plex Mono is great, and in fact, so are the other IBM Plex fonts--I have the Plex family as my system font.

Another cool font I've seen used is Zekton.

Lucidia hand

It looks like it's available to download online. I didn't try any of the downloads, but there are numerous search results. So, if you want to add it, you probably can.

I have the Plex family as my system font.

I may have to grab it as my monospaced font for my terminal. I haven't used it in ages.

Oh, I almost forgot. There's a documentary called "Helvetica" and it's actually more interesting than one might think. It's available with Amazon Prime, but I'm not seeing any free/legal places to watch.

I personally don't have a font preference

I personally don't have a font preference

I have definite preferences and dislikes. I mean, Wingdings are pretty much pointless and Comic Sans has no place in business. Then, there are fonts chosen for things like signage (like Highway Gothic) chosen after much study and experimentation. They've tried alternative fonts for highway signs, and resumed using HG afterwards.

Because I do a lot of coding, I tend to prefer using a monospace font in the terminal and in vim etc. But outside of that I don't really have a preference. As long as the text is legible it doesn't bother me too much. Sometimes I might use a ridiculous font for a gig-flyer, or some other arty type project. But I don't have any favourite fonts or anything!

I tend to prefer using a monospace font in the terminal and in vim etc.

I am fond of monospace fonts for things like that, as well. I even use a monospace font when writing PHP (scripting, not coding) or HTML.

for a gig-flyer

Pfft... It's the venue's job to promote the event.

I am fond of monospace fonts for things like that, as well. I even use a monospace font when writing PHP (scripting, not coding) or HTML.

Pfft... It's the venue's job to promote the event.
Not if you’re the promoter for the gig!!
Sometimes I actually put gigs on!

Sometimes I actually put gigs on!

LOL Yeah, those days are (thankfully) behind me. It looks like I'm going to get to do some performing this coming season. Last year was abysmal. I'm not sure how many small/local bands were able to weather the pandemic and stick together.

Both of my bands are slowly starting to get gig bookings again. I’m just glad that most of the local music venues have managed to survive the last year and a bit of lockdowns and restrictions, so there are still places left to play!

Both of my bands are slowly starting to get gig bookings again.

One of these days, a day when I have more time, I'll have to start a thread for "Musicians of Linux.org Unite" or something similar. I've spent a few years mentoring a group of musicians whose goal was to make their entire living from their musicianship. It's a pretty long story, but it's a niche band that does high end production, typically for larger crowds. We come rolling in with a big truck, our own giant stage has its own trailer, lasers, lights, etc... I still perform with them now and again, but don't do their full schedule 'cause I'm trying to retire.

I just really, really suck at retiring.

I think the worse thing I ever did when I got married , was to give up on my singing to concentrate on a ""Proper job"" the years have past and I still miss it, but now I am too old, and after too many fags the voice has gone, and now deaf in one ear, But I have some great memories..

deaf in one ear

I've taken really, really good care of my hearing. I've been pretty diligent about wearing hearing protection when needed.

I've been pretty diligent about wearing hearing protection
Mine was caused by an infection that killed off 65% of my receptors

Members online

Latest posts