What is the safest way to clone the entire partition where my OS is located ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anneranch

Reaction score
Credits
I have made an error and located all my C++ development in same partition where my OS is located .
I like to duplicate/ cone /copy the entire partition and be able to continue to work on my C++ code.
I understand that "dd" could do that.
How about "gparted " ?
Or any other application ?
I would prefer an app with "progress report " or some kind of log.

I assume I would have to "update -grub" to be able to boot into the new OS (copy).

Any other "gotchas " ?

Using latest Ubuntu...

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the problem with having c++ code on the same partition as your OS?

clonezilla will do this also.

If you're coding against system binaries and system libraries, the "recommended" way to do this
is in a chrooted jail environment.

Some good instruction for doing this are at... https://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/

What is the safest way to clone the entire partition where my OS is located ?

CloneZilla. If you want to see how this software restores an image, watch this video at 19:00.

If you prefer GUI, you can use RescueZilla. I embed this video at 8:00 but you can watch this video from the beginning for the full tutorial.

Last edited:
I prefer to use the built in clone located in disks

I have not had a particularly good time with clonezilla......maybe I was holding my tongue the wrong way !

Reboot your system and during that process choose to boot to a usb stick which you have already inserted and which contains an iso which is bootable, to your OS

When it has booted...

Click on menu, type in disks.

Click on the three vertical dots, and select Create disk Image

You will then get to choose which particular drive you wish to clone (assuming there is more than one)
You will also choose where to save that clone

This method will not give any progress rep[ort that I am aware of. It will show how far along the cloning is...but that is all.

It will clone the entire disc.

It will take a while

It is restorable.

In answer to your latest question...No....the disc to be cloned must be unmounted......which is why you access it via a live usb method.

@anneranch only and The Shadow know why you removed the content of your first Post, as it then makes less sense of subsequent, good, input so I am restoring it for now.

Let me know if you have any questions on that.

Wizard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts