What is the minimum specs you have tried linux on.

arbaitman

Reaction score
Credits
My first pc was desktop pc with pentium 2 and 64mb ram i think it was 226Hz pentium. I had no internet i was using paint to edit some pictures i even had an clue how to make my own winamp skin or remake it. I started to test linux using Ubunutu live disks starting version 5.n it was interesting and fun time, to get know things better related to computers.

My first Linux PC was a Dell 4600 with a Pentium 4 socket 478 (2.8 GHz) processor and 4.0 GB of DDR memory and Intel integrated graphics adapter.

With Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr installed on it I learned quite a bit about Linux and that desktop served me well for the next year.

I'm still using old Windows Vista desktops which are quite capable of running Linux.

Here's an example, since your asked, @arbaitman -- PIIIs with 512MB RAM upped to one gig were common. They were an impetus that got me into exploring the likes of Puppy and TinyCore, some now non-existent Slackware-based, and some 32bit distros whose names I cannot remember. I quickly abandoned them for P4s and even an old AMD CPU here and there. It was a Jaunty Jackalope on a Core2Duo Shuttle that got me headed this direction.

486SX, 32 meg. No hard drive, but 4 floppy drives. / , /usr , /hone and /var were all on their own floppy drive. 800x600 VGA monitor. Slackware.

My first Linux installation was in 1997 in a Pentium 166 MMX with 32 MB of RAM, using a 400MB partition (Red Hat 5.1). The latest resource-scarce installation I tried was on a Pentium 4 (don't remember the clock speed, but it was a single core processor from 2002), 40 GB HDD and 512 MB RAM, circa 2017, and it was AntiX Linux.

I remember it was 2017 because I recycled that laptop when I moved to Australia. It was an ASUS that didn't have a battery any more, it lacked some case parts and the hinges were totally broken (I had to build support for the screen using books, oh boy!) but it was still working and AntiX was running very fast on it.

Members online

Latest posts