what is the meaning of apt

yaseoushblank

Credits
how does a linux terminal figure out when typing
sudo apt-get <package_name>
that it is suppose to download the file.
and how is it that every time it downloads the exact file i need ; i mean there may be countless of other files under same name.
Or does it sometime download some malicious file instead of downloading correct one. is there such a posiblity?

Due to this fear i have only been downloading packaged file then installing. if i ever messed up my downloading by command line or any thing then is it possible to reset to default (everything).
i have been introduced only recently to linux lite 5.4.

brickwizard

Credits
Advanced Package Tool, probably the most common package management tool designed by Debian and can be found on most debian & Ubuntu based distributions

If you make a mistake there is usually a way out

yaseoushblank

Credits
Advanced Package Tool, probably the most common package management tool designed by Debian and can be found on most debian & Ubuntu based distributions

If you make a mistake there is usually a way out
i didnt want to disturb you again for this problem to but today i installed chromium browser but now i couldnt remove , i can find it with snap list. it was in my root/snap folder (i think). but i couldnt remove it with snap remove chromium or sudo snap remove chromium.

yaseoushblank

Credits
also i removed chrome-stable-browser something from my dpkg list after finding out from dpkg list. thinking it was the chromium browser since i didnt have any other chrome version installed at that time. will it make mess during future updates.? or is it ok?

brickwizard

Credits
did you install it using the repository
if so go to the repository find it and you will get the option to uninstall , if not then it will be a terminal code to remove it
as a newbie always use the approved packages in the repository [software manager] it can save a lot of heartaches.

yaseoushblank

Credits
i searched for chromium browser install linux in google and on first page there was "sudo apt-get install chromium-browser" code it was for ubuntu so i thought it would be ok. from next time i will think twice of installing something . and is the picture given below repository you mentioned?

Attachments

brickwizard

Credits
those are the repositories, but you do not access then direct, you do it through the OS menu and the software manager this is what mine [Mint 20] looks like.. if you know what you are looking for type it in the search box and enter if not you can do it by searching the categories [yours may look different but they work in the same way ]
Screenshot from 2021-06-24 19-33-18.png

$100 Digital Ocean Credit
Get a free VM to test out Linux!

Members online

No members online now.