What is the best Linux OS for a computer with AMD APU prosessor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this the specs to your old computer OldLinuxDistros?

Code:
CPU: AMD A8-3870 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics × 4
GPU: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Sumo [Radeon HD 6550D] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
RAM: 8gb With only 3gb usable

Is this a laptop or desktop pc?
It's A Desktop, I Do Not Own Any Laptops Yet!

Here Is A Hint: It's A 10 Year Old Machine That's Still Fast And Working And It Was Probably A Custom Build, The Motherboard Is Gigabyte GA-A55M-DS2

If The System Had 4gb Ram, Then That's The Cause Of 3gb Usable, p.s Wern't You Guys Supposed To Help Me With Finding The Best Linux OS For A PC With AMD APU?

It Was A Refurbished PC From The Computer Hostpital
My comment was if you have 8gb of ram then you should have more available, either something is drawing on the ram,or the ram may be defective in some way. As a rule of thumb, the graphics chip and sound chip would normally share between 250kb and 800kb
A few years back when I did work on similar spec machines with less ram [4gb] I never had trouble installing either Linux or Windows 7 Home,

My comment was if you have 8gb of ram then you should have more available, either something is drawing on the ram,or the ram may be defective in some way. As a rule of thumb, the graphics chip and sound chip would normally share between 250kb and 800kb
A few years back when I did work on similar spec machines with less ram [4gb] I never had trouble installing either Linux or Windows 7 Home,
I Can Asure You That There No PCI Cards! It Just Uses Internal Graphics Only! p.s The Only Thing That Wore Out Was The System Fan That Was Loud Because The Motor Burned Out Or The Fan Broke When I Hit The Desk To Stop The Sound, And The Ram Is NOT Defective Or Else It Would Not Work Like A Normal PC! And Stop Talking About The Usable Ram And Pretend My PC Works Fine

Everyone Needs To Tell Me What Linux OS Works For My PC Because I Don't Want One With Errors Like It's Stuck In A Terminal That It's Suck On Full Screen

Wern't You Guys Supposed To Help Me With Finding The Best Linux OS For A PC With AMD APU?
As I said in my first post, AMD are well-supported in Linux and therefore the drivers should install automatically from the distribution repositories.
I have been building and repairing computers since the early 1980's and a Linux user for over 20 years.
This will be my last post on this topic.

As I said in my first post, AMD are well-supported in Linux and therefore the drivers should install automatically from the distribution repositories.
I have been building and repairing computers since the early 1980's and a Linux user for over 20 years.
This will be my last post on this topic.
I Did Not Know You Used Linux For Over 20 Years! p.s I Need Something That Will Run Well On My Computer And Would Not Get Errors

Everyone Needs To Tell Me What Linux OS Works For My PC Because I Don't Want One With Errors Like It's Stuck In A Terminal That It's Suck On Full Screen
Everyone is trying to help you. Here are some issues that are making it more difficult:
  • We do not know whether the hardware is reliable or whether it has a defect or a hardware fault of some kind:
    • Could that be why it "stuck like a terminal" with Ubuntu?
    • Could that explain why you only 3 Gbytes "useable" RAM instead of the full installed amount?
  • We do not know why it "stuck like a terminal" with Ubuntu.
    • We do not know whether the problem happens only with Ubuntu.
    • That makes it hard to recommend another distro that can solve it. We do not know whether the same issue will appear there.
    • My guess is that if it happens with Ubuntu, it will happen with other distros too.
  • We do not know why it has only 3 Gbytes of useable RAM.
    • We know you have a 64-bit computer.
    • 32-bit versions of Windows are limited to 3 Gbytes of RAM. That may explain why you were being asked a lot of 32-bit questions. It is understandable.
    • If a 64-bit computer cannot use all 4 or 8 Gbytes of RAM installed, then there must be some kind of problem or issue.
      • It is very unlikely to be the choice of Linux distro.
      • If you boot a current live 64-bit Linux installer from a USB drive and it shows that you have only 3 Gbytes RAM when more is installed, then there is a problem.
In my opinion, you need to determine whether you have reliable hardware first. Until you know that your computer is not broken, it is hard to choose a distro that will work.

I would create and boot a USB drive and test using the live Linux on that.

Everyone is trying to help you. Here are some issues that are making it more difficult:
  • We do not know whether the hardware is reliable or whether it has a defect or a hardware fault of some kind:
    • Could that be why it "stuck like a terminal" with Ubuntu?
    • Could that explain why you only 3 Gbytes "useable" RAM instead of the full installed amount?
  • We do not know why it "stuck like a terminal" with Ubuntu.
    • We do not know whether the problem happens only with Ubuntu.
    • That makes it hard to recommend another distro that can solve it. We do not know whether the same issue will appear there.
    • My guess is that if it happens with Ubuntu, it will happen with other distros too.
  • We do not know why it has only 3 Gbytes of useable RAM.
    • We know you have a 64-bit computer.
    • 32-bit versions of Windows are limited to 3 Gbytes of RAM. That may explain why you were being asked a lot of 32-bit questions. It is understandable.
    • If a 64-bit computer cannot use all 4 or 8 Gbytes of RAM installed, then there must be some kind of problem or issue.
      • It is very unlikely to be the choice of Linux distro.
      • If you boot a current live 64-bit Linux installer from a USB drive and it shows that you have only 3 Gbytes RAM when more is installed, then there is a problem.
In my opinion, you need to determine whether you have reliable hardware first. Until you know that your computer is not broken, it is hard to choose a distro that will work.

I would create and boot a USB drive and test using the live Linux on that.
What I Mean By That Is It's Not The Desktop And It Looks Like A Linux Server Interface But It Says /dev/sda/1 Or /dev/sda2 Or Anything Like That Like A Blue Screen But Worse

What I Mean By That Is It's Not The Desktop And It Looks Like A Linux Server Interface But It Says /dev/sda/1 Or /dev/sda2 Or Anything Like That Like A Blue Screen But Worse
What I think you are saying here is that your Linux boots into the console where you can type commands. Is there a prompt where you can type commands? What output do you see when you type these commands at the prompt?
  • whoami
  • pwd
  • uname -a
  • cat /etc/lsb-release
All I Just Need Is A Linux OS My Computer Would Work Fine On And Would Never Crash

Based on your previous statements about the issues you are seeing, are you sure that your computer is not defective with a hardware problem?

Do you have a way to create a bootable USB Linux installer on a flash drive using someone else's computer? That bootable installer will have a live version of Linux on it.

(Download the desired ".iso" installer file. Download a program called "balena Etcher" and run it to create a bootable USB flash drive with the .iso file you chose. Boot from the USB drive you created.)

Suggested - Linux Mint, Cinnamon Edition:
https://linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=302

Suggested - MX Linux:
https://mxlinux.org/download-links/

balena Etcher:
https://www.balena.io/etcher

-> Do you know how to make a computer boot from a USB drive? Can you boot the new USB live Linux/installer on your friend's computer? Can you boot it on your computer that has the issues?

@OldLinuxDistros - Just in case of any misapprehension on your part, we are not an official arm nor organ of Linux, just scored the dot org name - we are manned by volunteer staff who share a love of Linux and have varying skills in various departments.

That being said, dial back on the attitude, please, and try to answer the questions asked.

We are trying to help you to help us to help you.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

At The 7th Of April This Year, I Have Installed Linux Mint. I'm Not Experincing Issues With Linux Mint, If You Wanted To Post Something Here It's Too Late And Will You Guys Stop Talking About The Fact 3gb Ram Is Usable And Saying The System Is 32-bit? Saying That 3gb Ram Is Usable Is Not A Problem

At The 7th Of April This Year, I Have Installed Linux Mint. I'm Not Experincing Issues With Linux Mint, If You Wanted To Post Something Here It's Too Late And Will You Guys Stop Talking About The Fact 3gb Ram Is Usable And Saying The System Is 32-bit? Saying That 3gb Ram Is Usable Is Not A Problem
Per the OP, the problem is solved. The OP installed Linux Mint and is not experiencing issues with it.

-> I urge the moderators to close this thread as soon as possible, to prevent anyone else from talking about the fact that "3 gb Ram is Usable" or saying "The System is 32-bit".

(Late edit before the thread gets locked: Fixed a typo.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.