What is the best Linux OS for a computer with AMD APU prosessor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Credits
My computer is having issues with Windows 10 a little, and it's specs are:
CPU: AMD A8-3870 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics × 4
GPU: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Sumo [Radeon HD 6550D] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
RAM: 8gb With only 3gb usable
This post was made on Linux Mint Live installer. And is Linux Mint going to work out for my computer?
I Type Like This,
But i'm typing like this so that way you can understand me and you won't judge about how i'm typing

APU was simply AMD's terminology for the now standard practice of placing the GPU on the CPU die, rather than having separate integrated motherboard graphics. AMD were the first company to make this normal behaviour, and the A6, A8 & A10 were all of this same design.

I've never yet met an AMD CPU that wouldn't "play nice" with Linux. AMD have had a lot of bad press over the years; the A-series APUs come from the 'wilderness years', between the high-riding success of the first commercially successful 64-bit consumer CPU, the K8 (the Athlon/Opteron64s) of the early to mid-2000s, and the current success story of their Ryzen chips, which really began around 5 years ago. During the lengthy in-between period, they made some questionable design decisions, and struggled along barely breaking even a lot of the time.

This was the period when Intel basically had the market to themselves, and design innovation stagnated......because they had no real competition much of that time, and competition is what drives innovation.

--------------------------------------------------

I always found the biggest lie was the claim that AMD chips ran "hot". What a load of cobblers; both the AMDs I've had over the years ran considerably cooler than their Intel counterparts, and chugged along virtually forever without any issues at all. My last one, an Athlon64 X2 3800+ dual-core, would start up below 20C, and even after prolonged use woud rarely, if ever, break the 50C barrier.....

It lasted me nearly 7 years, having bought it off eBay in 2015 for all of £8 GBP. When the Compaq desktop rig died, it was the caps that eventually dried-out.....nowt to do wi' the CPU. I didn't bother trying to resurrect it, because Socket 949 mobos haven't been available for years.....and pretty powerful, and highly-capable entire rigs can be had for half of what the X2s alone cost at launch in 2004 (4-figures plus..!) In addition to which, technology has moved on a LONG way in the intervening years; the Compaq limited me to 4 GB DDR1, with the current HP Pavilion I have 32 GB DDR4 (and even that's considered just 'average' nowadays). SSDs have been born and developed through many generations.....and my Pentium G5400 'Gold' - dual-core with HT, so effectively a quad-core - sips a fraction of the X2's power, cost something like 5% of what the X2 did at launch, and with its modern instruction sets will run rings around the X2 and show it up for the dinosaur that it truly was. Yet in its hey-day, that Athlon64 was the "bee's knees". Everybody wanted one.

So; to answer your query, yes.......that AMD will run Linux happily. Shouldn't give you ANY problems.

Mike. ;)

Last edited:
The one that you feel the most comfortable and in-tune using!

Here Are The Linux OS I Do Not Accept
Arch Linux It's Hard To Install! I Would Use This On Server Computers
Ubuntu I Had Issues That It's A Simple "No"
POP OS I Don't Know How To Use It! And I Don't Like It!

Here Are The Linux OS I Do Not Accept
Arch Linux It's Hard To Install! I Would Use This On Server Computers
Ubuntu I Had Issues That It's A Simple "No"
POP OS I Don't Know How To Use It! And I Don't Like It!
Linux Mint is a good distro for folks that are new to Linux.

The beauty of it all is you can download and try as many distro's as you'd like.
This way you can find out which one you like.

Virtual Box is a good way to try out distro's or you can use the Live Linux from USB or a CD/DVD.

What do you use your computer mostly for?

Linux Mint is a good distro for folks that are new to Linux.

The beauty of it all is you can download and try as many distro's as you'd like.
This way you can find out which one you like.

Virtual Box is a good way to try out distro's or you can use the Live Linux from USB or a CD/DVD.

What do you use your computer mostly for?
It's My Main Computer, But I Use It To Play Video Games And Make Vyond Videos And Watch YouTube And Make Audio CDs And Other Stuff Like What I Said

It's My Main Computer, But I Use It To Play Video Games And Make Vyond Videos And Watch YouTube And Make Audio CDs And Other Stuff Like What I Said
Linux Mint is a good choice for what you do on a regular bases.

MX Linux is based on Debian and a lot of folks here like it and run it.

And Linux Mint Debian Edition is popular as well. My friend has been running it for 3 years and it's stable.

And Linux Mint Debian Edition is popular as well. My friend has been running it for 3 years and it's stable.

Would Debian Work Out? Well I Would Probably Not Get GNOME Cause They Did Updates Where It's A Little Laggy

I Don't Know About MX Linux! So I Would Get Linux Mint "Hope I Don't Get /dev/sda/ Errors Cause That's What Happened When I Tried Ubuntu"

I Don't Know About MX Linux! So I Would Get Linux Mint "Hope I Don't Get /dev/sda/ Errors Cause That's What Happened When I Tried Ubuntu"
Don't see why Debian wouldn't work out for you.

Do you remember what the /dev/sda/ errors were?

Is your computer a 32-bit architecture or 64-bit?

Is this the specs to your old computer OldLinuxDistros?

Code:
CPU: AMD A8-3870 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics × 4
GPU: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Sumo [Radeon HD 6550D] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
RAM: 8gb With only 3gb usable

Is this a laptop or desktop pc?

Is this the specs to your old computer OldLinuxDistros
Alex, this is the spec for a 2011 machine, it will be 64 bit and should be USB bootable and have UEFI
it says it has 8gb ram [I am wondering why it only has 3gb usable, my HPprodesk has 8gb and around 6gb free]
My HP is running LMDE5 as a daily drive

The Reason Why I Asked This Was Because When I Used Ubuntu On That Machine Before It Had Problems And I Read This https://askubuntu.com/questions/122...an-amd-apu-such-as-raven-ridge-picasso-and-re So I Had To Reinstall Windows 10 And Never Use Ubuntu On My Machine Again!
This is not applicable to your processor, yours is code name Llano, and is 5 yrs older than Raven-ridge processors,
If you are getting a common installation fault across different distributions then I would suspect component problems, is the hard-drive failing, although it has 8gb ram installed is it all functioning properly, do you have any expansion cards fitted that may be faulty, IF you used the same USB for the installation process across those distributions, is that faulty [ this is not uncommon, a pen-drive may work well as a storage device but not for Installing an ISO]

Can You Guys Stop Asking If It's 64-bit Or 32-bit? It's A 64-bit Machine And It's A Desktop (Not The Old Optiplex 360 That I Will Restore)
Screenshot 2023-04-07 071659.png

Alex, this is the spec for a 2011 machine, it will be 64 bit and should be USB bootable and have UEFI
it says it has 8gb ram [I am wondering why it only has 3gb usable, my HPprodesk has 8gb and around 6gb free]
My HP is running LMDE5 as a daily
It Was A Refurbished PC From The Computer Hostpital

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online