Purchase Linux CDs / DVDs / Flash Drives at OSDisc.com

Welcome to Our Community

While Linux.org has been around for a while, we recently changed management and had to purge most of the content (including users). If you signed up before April 23rd, 2017 please sign up again. Thanks!

1. More ways to get the info! - we shoot all of our new original content out as well as random messages on Twitter and our newsletter!. Twitter | Newsletter
    Dismiss Notice

What is the best linux option for an old Core Duo MacBook?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by smmm, May 15, 2019 at 4:11 AM.

Tags:
  1. smmm

smmm New Member

I recently dug out an old white 2006 MacBook out of storage. I'm currently in the process of getting it up and running again. Since it it's so old, Mac OS X (10.6.8) is pretty slow, and I want access to newer applications and programs. I was considering installing some form of Linux on the MacBook to replace the old macOS and get things running a little more smoothly. I do know that this laptop is very old and won't be able to run much, but I just wanted to see what I could do with it.

This will be my first foray into Linux, and I have no idea how to go about it.
    My main questions are:
    What distro(s) of Linux would this laptop be able to run?
    How do I install that distro onto the computer and replace macOS?
    Would it be possible to download Steam? (Not really super important)

The processor is a 2.0 GHz (or 1.83 GHz, I'm not sure) 32 bit Intel Core Duo (to be clear it is not the Core "2" Duo).
    It has 2 GB of DDR2 ram.

Thanks!

(Log in to hide this advertisement)

#1 smmm, May 15, 2019 at 4:11 AM
    Last edited: May 15, 2019 at 4:31 AM
  2. Peer

Peer Active Member

I would recomend lubuntu, debian lxde, or some thing other with lxde.