What is the best distribution of Linux to work developing applications?

Miguel Espeso

Reaction score
Credits
Hi, I'm an Ubuntu user and I have a new laptop (Asus X556UJ) that I bought and came with Windows 10, without knowing that Windows would be useless for programming.
When I discovered it, I installed Ubuntu 18.04 on an old Acer laptop, but it soon became obsolete due to its low RAM.
Well, I decided to install Ubuntu 18.04 on the ASUS laptop, but I did not know the UEFI boot and the installation is impossible.
Ask Asus and they do not give me a solution, but the laptop supports Ubuntu, since I install 16.04 and in principle it works, until I update it to 18.04, when I reboot I run out of operating system.
By directly installing Ubuntu 18.04, the installation freezes.
Is there a solution for my problem?
What distribution of Linux could I install for my work in programming? (developing applications)
Thanks, I hope I have explained my problem correctly and can help me.

Hi Miguel, it's me again, lol - seems my head and my arse in in the wrong places today and I am answering your first Post second. But then, I am from Australia, and we spend a lot of time standing on our heads :)

Programming is not my field - rather I am a multi-multi-multi-booter of Linux (usually run 60 - 80 at a time from 5 different Families, spread over 3 - 4 computers).

A few of our Members are into programming, including Jas from Britain (@JasKinasis ) and since I have mentioned him with the @ that will start his ears burning.

I think if we confine your questions on programming to this Thread, and the ones on the Asus re Ubuntu 16.04 to 18.04 to the other Thread, then there will be less confusion, but of course there may be a little unavoidable overlap regarding the "whether to try another Linux" option. Agreed?

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Regarding a choice of distro for development - it honestly doesn't matter!
The tools you have available will be exactly the same, regardless of the distro.

Other than aesthetic things like the default desktop environment, the package management systems used etc. The only other minor differences between the distros will be the versions of the software.

If you want to be using the latest and greatest versions of your favourite software, you could install something like Arch or Debian unstable.
But the cost of doing so is a slightly higher maintenence burden and the risk of occasional system instability/breakage.

If you want rock-solid stability and dependency and you aren't bothered about using slightly older software, then something like Debian Stable, RHEL, or CentOS would be good. These are good server distros.

If you want a good middle-ground between newer software and stability - then you could use pretty much any general purpose distro - Ubuntu, Mint, Debian Testing, Fedora, Suse etc etc.

Personally, I avoid using bleeding-edge distros on my development machines because I don't like having to deal with the extra maintenance burden that they can incur. I just want to be able to log-in and work! So I currently use Debian Testing - installed via the Debian minimal net installer. Since I installed it several years ago, it has rolled-over through the testing for Debian 7, 8 and 9 and is currently tracking the testing for Debian 10. I haven't had to completely upgrade the system or do a re-install in all that time - just perform regular updates and do a dist-upgrade every now and then. That has worked flawlessly for me so far.

An LTS version of any of the *buntu distros is a pretty good bet too. Before I switched back to Debian Testing, I was using LTS (Long Term Support) versions of Kubuntu and would only upgrade when the next LTS version was released. And I'd always perform the upgrade a month or so AFTER the new LTS was released to ensure that any major bugs in it were fixed BEFORE I did the upgrade. So that approach has worked really well for me in the past too!

So any general purpose distro that has a LTS version is a good bet too!

But as for your installation problem - that would be a question for someone who regularly installs distros - I've never had any problems with any of my installs, so I'm not really well placed to answer. I have no idea what will work best on your Asus.

My main laptop is an aging Asus K55VD (Intel i3, Intel/nVidia Optimus dual graphics, 8Gb RAM), which originally shipped with Windows 8. I simply disabled the UEFI/Secure boot and enabled the legacy mode and installed normally. And I've had literally zero problems with it. Every Linux distro I've ever put on it has worked flawlessly. But I am not familiar with your model!

Last edited:
[QUOTE = "JasKinasis, post: 58119, member: 9"] Con respecto a una elección de distribución para el desarrollo, ¡honestamente no importa!
Las herramientas que tiene disponibles serán exactamente las mismas, independientemente de la distribución.

Además de aspectos estéticos como el entorno de escritorio predeterminado, los sistemas de gestión de paquetes utilizados, etc. Las únicas otras diferencias menores entre las distribuciones serán las versiones del software.

Si desea utilizar las últimas y mejores versiones de su software favorito, puede instalar algo como Arch o Debian inestable.
Pero el costo de hacerlo es una carga de mantenimiento ligeramente mayor y el riesgo de inestabilidad / rotura ocasional del sistema.

Si desea estabilidad y dependencia sólidas y no le molesta usar un software un poco más antiguo, entonces algo como Debian Stable, RHEL o CentOS sería bueno. Estas son buenas distribuciones de servidor.

Si quieres un buen término medio entre el software más nuevo y la estabilidad, entonces podrías usar prácticamente cualquier distribución de propósito general: Ubuntu, Mint, Debian Testing, Fedora, Suse, etc.

Personalmente, evito el uso de distros de última generación en mis máquinas de desarrollo porque no me gusta tener que lidiar con la carga de mantenimiento adicional en la que pueden incurrir. ¡Solo quiero poder iniciar sesión y trabajar! Por lo tanto, actualmente utilizo Debian Testing, que se instala a través del instalador de red mínimo de Debian. Desde que lo instalé hace varios años, ha pasado por las pruebas de Debian 7, 8 y 9 y actualmente sigue las pruebas para Debian 10. No he tenido que actualizar completamente el sistema o volver a instalarlo en todo ese tiempo: solo realice actualizaciones periódicas y realice una actualización dist de vez en cuando. Eso ha funcionado perfectamente para mí hasta ahora.

Una versión LTS de cualquiera de las * buntu distros también es una buena apuesta. Antes de volver a utilizar Debian Testing, estaba usando las versiones LTS (Long Term Support) de Kubuntu y solo mejoraba cuando se lanzaba la próxima versión de LTS. Y siempre realizaba la actualización aproximadamente un mes DESPUÉS de que se lanzara el nuevo LTS para asegurarme de que cualquier error importante se solucionaba ANTES de realizar la actualización. ¡Así que ese enfoque también me ha funcionado muy bien en el pasado!

¡Así que cualquier distribución de propósito general que tenga una versión LTS es una buena apuesta también!

Pero en cuanto a su problema de instalación, esa sería una pregunta para alguien que regularmente instala distros, nunca he tenido ningún problema con ninguna de mis instalaciones, por lo que no estoy en condiciones de responder. No tengo idea de qué funcionará mejor en tu Asus.

My main laptop is an aging Asus K55VD (Intel i3, Intel/nVidia Optimus dual graphics, 8Gb RAM), which originally shipped with Windows 8. I simply disabled the UEFI/Secure boot and enabled the legacy mode and installed normally. And I've had literally zero problems with it. Every Linux distro I've ever put on it has worked flawlessly. But I am not familiar with your model![/QUOTE]
Thanks for your input, my problem is being UEFI mode.
I have seen solutions to eliminate UEFI mode in wimdows 8, as you say, my laptop came with windows 10 and it is being frustrating. Install on other Ubuntu computers, Lubuntu without problems, until I decided to install on my best computer.
I will have to resort to a professional to help me.
Gracias por su apoyo.

[QUOTE = "wizardfromoz, post: 58075, miembro: 28931"] Hola Miguel, soy yo otra vez, lol - parece que mi cabeza y mi trasero están en lugares equivocados hoy y estoy respondiendo tu primer mensaje. Pero luego, soy de Australia, y pasamos mucho tiempo de pie sobre nuestras cabezas:)

La programación no es mi campo, sino que soy un multi-multi-multi-booter de Linux (por lo general, ejecuto de 60 a 80 a la vez de 5 familias diferentes, repartidas en 3 o 4 computadoras).

Algunos de nuestros miembros se dedican a la programación, incluido Jas de Gran Bretaña ([USER = 9] @JasKinasis [/ USER]) y desde que lo mencioné con el @ que comenzará a arder en sus oídos.

Creo que si limitamos sus preguntas sobre la programación a este Tema, y las de Asus re Ubuntu 16.04 a 18.04 al otro Tema, entonces habrá menos confusión, pero por supuesto puede haber una pequeña superposición inevitable con respecto a "si para probar otra opción de Linux ". ¿Convenido?

Aclamaciones

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz [/ QUOTE]
[QUOTE = "wizardfromoz, post: 58075, miembro: 28931"] Hola Miguel, soy yo otra vez, lol - parece que mi cabeza y mi trasero están en lugares equivocados hoy y estoy respondiendo tu primer mensaje. Pero luego, soy de Australia, y pasamos mucho tiempo de pie sobre nuestras cabezas:)

La programación no es mi campo, sino que soy un multi-multi-multi-booter de Linux (por lo general, ejecuto de 60 a 80 a la vez de 5 familias diferentes, repartidas en 3 o 4 computadoras).

Algunos de nuestros miembros se dedican a la programación, incluido Jas de Gran Bretaña ([USER = 9] @JasKinasis [/ USER]) y desde que lo mencioné con el @ que comenzará a arder en sus oídos.

Creo que si limitamos sus preguntas sobre la programación a este Tema, y las de Asus re Ubuntu 16.04 a 18.04 al otro Tema, entonces habrá menos confusión, pero por supuesto puede haber una pequeña superposición inevitable con respecto a "si para probar otra opción de Linux ". ¿Convenido?

Aclamaciones

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz [/ QUOTE]
Gracias, respondí en la otra pregunta, creo que clarifiqué en ella lo que pedí para ayudarme.
Gracias.

Hola Miguel. Solo una sugerencia útil. Cuando responda, no elija la opción a la derecha, "Responder"
ZJJeCl7.png
. Pero elige debajo que "Escribe tu respuesta"
xj4t4iN.png
. De lo contrario, vemos todo lo que ya hemos escrito en español. ¡Gracias!

For the benefit of The Viewers, I have given Miguel a solution to Posting that will reduce the Spanish content.

Cheers all

Wizard

gracias, mago !

No need for apologies, Miguel - your Engish is 100 times better than my Spanish :D

Avagudweegend

Wizard