What is BROKEN ? ? ?

Okay, go back to my added post just above. You need to be in a terminal, and you need to be in the Tibia folder when you issue the command. Try without sudo first though, and see if you get the same maintenance error that I'm getting.

I do it only gives errors

OK, get some rest, and be safe!

I do it only gives errors
I get the errors too, but then I get a popup windows that says the site is down. All those errors are also indicating that there is no network connection.... because the site is down. :D

Give a go again tomorrow.

Cheers

I get the errors too, but then I get a popup windows that says the site is down. All those errors are also indicating that there is no network connection.... because the site is down. :D

Give a go again tomorrow.

Cheers

That is the head scratching portion of the show.
Win 8 laptop loads in when it shows that server down.
The laptops and desktop with Solus all load in, even a friends laptop with LXLE loads in.
Only the DELL Desktop does this regardless of the Linux OS used, because Solus will not load on to it.

That is the head scratching portion of the show.
Win 8 laptop loads in when it shows that server down.
The laptops and desktop with Solus all load in, even a friends laptop with LXLE loads in.
Only the DELL Desktop does this regardless of the Linux OS used, because Solus will not load on to it.
Ah, okay. I loaded up a live Solus DVD (MATE desktop) and it would run Tibia, even in live mode. That's cool. But then I also found, I think, the way to make it work on your Lubuntu. At least it fixed it on my Linux Mint and ran the game with no more "down for maintenance" error.

Run these three commands in a terminal, one after another:
Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install openssl
sudo apt-get install libssl1.0-dev

You may already have openssl, but it will tell you, so just move on if you do. I found this solution here.

Sudo is not needed to play the game, so don't use it. But it is probably better to run the game from the script. You can rename the script, if you want, to make it shorter to type.... or if you don't know about "tab completion," now is a good time to learn that trick! Start typing the script command, like ./st and then hit the TAB key. It should fill in all the rest of the script name, then hit Enter. Of course, you have to be inside the Tibia folder in a terminal.

One thing I didn't like is that when you exit the game, it does not cleanly restore the terminal prompt. It just leaves the terminal hanging there, with all those "errors" still showing (don't worry about those). So before you close the terminal, I would recommend that you hit CTRL-C and that will close the open process (the game) and give the terminal prompt back. Then close the terminal.

Success?

Or if you want, we could also try to figure out how to install Solus on the Dell.

I as well a couple of others have told the wife to just toss it in the swimming pools deep end.

I as well a couple of others have told the wife to just toss it in the swimming pools deep end.
No, I hope it hasn't gotten that bad! :eek:o_O:D

Dell is a pretty good computer system, IMO.... and usually pretty Linux friendly.

The last BIOS update DELL shows for this E521 is 2007 with a number of 1.1.11 as you can see in SS this is running the BIOS of 1.1.4 Dec. 2006 I guess that is causing all the troubles. The DELL will only read from the CD drive the floppy is DOA on machine / and it will not read any ISO or other files from the USB ports I tried all of them.
Your Dell appears to be pretty close to what I have although you have a better processor and more ram than I'm running.

I updated my bios on mine via Windows XP that was installed, you might want to consider that if you have a Windows XP cd.

The errors posted in the picture post in original post I seem to get when running AMD processors and Linux.

If Lubuntu or Xubuntu are working I'd leave them be although if they become problematic I'd install Linux Lite 3.6 as it is based on Ubuntu Xenial 16.04 and uses the 4.4.xx LTS kernel instead of the HWE stack kernel which is not a true long term kernel , seems to make a difference on old hardware.

Your Dell appears to be pretty close to what I have although you have a better processor and more ram than I'm running.

I updated my bios on mine via Windows XP that was installed, you might want to consider that if you have a Windows XP cd.

The errors posted in the picture post in original post I seem to get when running AMD processors and Linux.

If Lubuntu or Xubuntu are working I'd leave them be although if they become problematic I'd install Linux Lite 3.6 as it is based on Ubuntu Xenial 16.04 and uses the 4.4.xx LTS kernel instead of the HWE stack kernel which is not a true long term kernel , seems to make a difference on old hardware.

I do have XP

No, I hope it hasn't gotten that bad! :eek:o_O:D

Dell is a pretty good computer system, IMO.... and usually pretty Linux friendly.

But Dude It's A Dell ..........

Rolling in the Deep / because there's a fire

Don't do that, making it work is part of the fun

Darn I did not know my audience.........
Adele as in female singer = her song "rolling in the deep"

Oh well

Ha ha... no, I'm too old. But I do know who she is, and what she looks like, even though I don't know any of her music. :eek::D

Reloading Win XP 64 bit going to do all the BIOS updating under native until there is nothing left to update and start this journey all over again. I won't post the song video here but I shall put it in Off-Topic in Rock Rox.

Watching Win XP load on an SSD is much quick then under the old HDD of the day.
I am not sure where the cut off is for Too Old closing in on 60 myself be 57 Saturday.

I just had myself a novel idea .... the wife has a DELL laptop is it possible to copy all of it to a HDD or SSD including the BIOS of it, then shove it in the PC Tower by chance ? ? ?

I am not sure where the cut off is for Too Old closing in on 60 myself be 57 Saturday.
Happy Birthday (in case I forget)! :D

I'm not too far ahead... just turned 62. I'm an old rocker though, so Adele isn't quite my style.

Reloading Win XP 64 bit going to do all the BIOS updating under native until there is nothing left to update and start this journey all over again.
Install Windows XP then on another working computer install the exe bios file to a cd or a usb flash drive and copy it to the Document folder and then double click it and follow the prompts ain't no need for any updates.
When finished close all windows and restart or just do what the prompts say to do.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Happy Birthday!

I just had myself a novel idea .... the wife has a DELL laptop is it possible to copy all of it to a HDD or SSD including the BIOS of it, then shove it in the PC Tower by chance ? ? ?
Uh, no, not likely, although the operating system has some chance of working. The BIOS is not-a-chance. BIOS is a chip on the motherboard and not something you can export and import. The goal you're shooting for by putting Windows back on is to "flash" an update (overwrite the BIOS chip)... but it must be compatible. There is a chance that both computers use the same BIOS and you could flash both, but that is a long shot in my mind.

The hope of flashing the BIOS, I think, is to maybe resolve the problem(s) that keep the computer from booting up on other distro DVD's, including Solus.

Don't haphazardly do a bios flash you will regret it as there ain't no turning back if you screw it up because it won't post or boot again.

You will render a working computer into a nonworking computer.

Do what I suggested in post #37 as the bios is an executable file and can run in a Windows XP environment.

the DELL now reads a BIOS of 1.1.11 - but still now Tibia.

Members online