What is BROKEN ? ? ?

Fishy

Reaction score
Credits
I have no idea what it means or what to do ........... from here.
The very very old DELL desktop pc will bootup and run when the SSD with LXLE is plugged in.
Power it off and unplug SSD and plug in a HDD that is more current for the model year release of the DELL Win XP and this happens when you attempting to install any linux distro from a CD - - - yet it installs LXLE from said CD drive just fine.
The LXLE was not burnt by me, it had LXLE on it that was burnt with Brasero - someone else did it.
I am using Brasero to burn the DVD iso files.

this is the prompt I get on screen after a few seconds

Attachments

• 20190716_101406.jpg
    20190716_101406.jpg
    773.7 KB · Views: 841

I have no idea where to go to fix it since the other CD with Linux LXLE does what it is suppose to do.

HI @Fishy! Have you tried what the screenshot is suggesting? That is, when booting on another Linux (other than LXLE)... they all have a way to interrupt the boot so you can insert special commands or boot parameters. Try adding "noapic" (without quotes) to your new Linux and see if it helps. You would add "noapic" on the same line as "quiet" and "splash" when you get there.... you'll see them. Then its usually F10 to boot with this changed setting, but read the screen to be sure.

I did not watch this video, but it might help.

Sometimes there are BIOS settings that can be modified too. "SATA Controller" is one that comes to mind, to switch from IDE to AHCI, or vice versa. This is easy to imagine as making a difference since you are switching between SSD and HDD. Might help, might not.

Cheers

HI @Fishy! Have you tried what the screenshot is suggesting? That is, when booting on another Linux (other than LXLE)... they all have a way to interrupt the boot so you can insert special commands or boot parameters. Try adding "noapic" (without quotes) to your new Linux and see if it helps. You would add "noapic" on the same line as "quiet" and "splash" when you get there.... you'll see them. Then its usually F10 to boot with this changed setting, but read the screen to be sure.

I did not watch this video, but it might help.

Sometimes there are BIOS settings that can be modified too. "SATA Controller" is one that comes to mind, to switch from IDE to AHCI, or vice versa. This is easy to imagine as making a difference since you are switching between SSD and HDD. Might help, might not.

Cheers

I have read 50 of the walks through if I read 2 of them nothing was sticking that made sense.
Lubuntu went past the first failed to load screen went right to a desktop picture of Lubuntu .

@atanere just the few words and a link to a video at it clicked, went in did what you had it is at a desktop screen with the Install Now Option freaking awesome thanks a million times over.

The said Desktop DELL PC still will not load Solus - but it has now loaded Xubuntu as well the afore mentioned Lubuntu / the SSD already has LXLE on it. Wife is willing to give it a test run to see what she thinks of the rig at this moment. Anything has to be better then that old DELL Laptop she has been using.

the wife is still not impressed, and her game still will not load and run ........... my brain says well just load a working linux os that will load her game on a HDD or SSD on a different PC Tower and then stick that in here PC Tower and it should work ? ? ? in theory or is it correct.
The towers are different brands and different years ........ will there be conflicts that can't get past ?

Attachments

• 20190716_101406.jpg

I have one of those problematic Dells and this is what worked for mine.
Open the Spoiler and look at my inxi -Fxz posted and you will see what I finally got to work.

Linux Lite 3.6
Scroll down to previous versions

linuxlite@linuxlite-Dimension-E521:~$ inxi -Fxz
System: Host: linuxlite-Dimension-E521 Kernel: 4.4.0-154-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 (Gtk 2.24.28) Distro: Ubuntu 16.04 xenial
Machine: System: Dell product: Dimension E521
Mobo: Dell model: 0CT103 v: A03 Bios: Dell v: 1.1.11 date: 08/02/2007
CPU: Dual core AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ (-MCP-) cache: 1024 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 svm) bmips: 4008
clock speeds: max: 2600 MHz 1: 1000 MHz 2: 1000 MHz
Graphics: Card: NVIDIA G72 [GeForce 7300 LE] bus-ID: 03:00.0
Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: nouveau (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: [email protected]
GLX Renderer: NV46 GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 18.0.5 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio: Card NVIDIA MCP51 High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:10.1
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.4.0-154-generic
Network: Card: Broadcom and subsidiaries BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX driver: b44 v: 2.0 bus-ID: 04:07.0
IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives: HDD Total Size: 40.0GB (22.9% used) ID-1: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD400BD size: 40.0GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 33G used: 4.8G (16%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
ID-2: swap-1 size: 4.29GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5
RAID: No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 40.0C mobo: N/A gpu: 62.0
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 171 Uptime: 16:49 Memory: 966.7/3950.8MB Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35
linuxlite@linuxlite-Dimension-E521:~$

Open the terminal and copy and paste this command. inxi -Fxz

Copy and paste the output to a post of the specs of your Dell Dimension E521.

Note I'm not using the integrated graphics adapter,I'm using a descrete graphics card.

the wife is still not impressed, and her game still will not load and run ........... my brain says well just load a working linux os that will load her game on a HDD or SSD on a different PC Tower and then stick that in here PC Tower and it should work ? ? ? in theory or is it correct.
The towers are different brands and different years ........ will there be conflicts that can't get past ?
Windows always freaked out if I tried to switch a hard drive into another computer. I've had some luck with Linux doing that, but I haven't tried for a long time. And I'm not sure that it would go so smoothly anymore either, especially if there are differences between UEFI booting, and MBR booting.

What game is it? And which Linux did it run on before? Is it a Windows game you're trying to run under Wine?

Open the terminal and copy and paste this command. inxi -Fxz

Copy and paste the output to a post of the specs of your Dell Dimension E521.

Note I'm not using the integrated graphics adapter,I'm using a descrete graphics card.

The last BIOS update DELL shows for this E521 is 2007 with a number of 1.1.11 as you can see in SS this is running the BIOS of 1.1.4 Dec. 2006 I guess that is causing all the troubles. The DELL will only read from the CD drive the floppy is DOA on machine / and it will not read any ISO or other files from the USB ports I tried all of them.

Attachments

• 20190717_200228.jpg
    20190717_200228.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 721
Windows always freaked out if I tried to switch a hard drive into another computer. I've had some luck with Linux doing that, but I haven't tried for a long time. And I'm not sure that it would go so smoothly anymore either, especially if there are differences between UEFI booting, and MBR booting.

What game is it? And which Linux did it run on before? Is it a Windows game you're trying to run under Wine?
The Game is Tibia - which has a win / mac / linux version
there is a few other things that Lubuntu is geeking out over ........ non-issue if I can't get her game she likes to work. Her game has a work around of Ubuntu 14 and 16 with editing the bash file and creating a new file to instruct the lib16 or some such thing.

I downloaded the Tibia tarball, but it doesn't include any README file or other instructions to help with the work around you mentioned. Are you using the start-tibia-launcher.sh file to try to start the game? Or something else? And what happens when you try to start it?

I downloaded the Tibia tarball, but it doesn't include any README file or other instructions to help with the work around you mentioned. Are you using the start-tibia-launcher.sh file to try to start the game? Or something else? And what happens when you try to start it?

correct you can use that or the other - it just reads Tibia with a gear icon.

I got it to open to the game finally but it is a black screen with out showing any of the image files for some odd reason.

If you open the script with a text editor, it tells you not to use the other file.... use the script. This is so it will find the libraries it needs to run. You might try running it from terminal with sudo, like:
Code:
sudo ./start-tibia-launcher.sh

Well, before trying sudo, you also might try with your wife's regular user account. Are you familiar with running a script like this? You need to run a terminal, and go into the Tibia folder, then as a regular user, give the command preceded with "./" -- so, like this:
Code:
./start-tibia-launcher.sh

I have tried both as my regular user and with sudo, but it's better not to use sudo if you don't need it.

I get the same response... Tibia is currently down for maintenance. Please try again later.

If you open the script with a text editor, it tells you not to use the other file.... use the script. This is so it will find the libraries it needs to run. You might try running it from terminal with sudo, like:
Code:
sudo ./start-tibia-launcher.sh
yield an error - - command not found

yield an error - - command not found
Okay, go back to my added post just above. You need to be in a terminal, and you need to be in the Tibia folder when you issue the command. Try without sudo first though, and see if you get the same maintenance error that I'm getting.

done for the night have to be up in 7 hours for work

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts