What is booting and BIOS process?

First welcome to Linux.org, vivek . Sorry that i have to ask but can you tell me a little bit more about your question? What you want to know? BIOS stands for Basic Input / Output System? Did you want to know that ? Or want to know more about the boot process of linux / eg grub ?

Greetings

Scoobithepirate

Plz try to understand me in very simple way?
Welcome to the forums! We will try to answer as best as we can, but if English is not your native language we may have some difficulty at times. We also do not know how much technical knowledge you have about computers in general, so we kind of have to discover that with our questions back to you.

Briefly, from what I can tell of your question... let me start with saying that Linux is a computer operating system. It is similar to Windows in some ways, but also different. You can replace Windows completely and use Linux instead. Unlike Windows, you can also boot your computer with Linux on just a DVD or USB flash drive and run it that way. It is a little slower than if you install Linux on the hard drive, but it is a good way to find out if you like Linux before making changes to your computer.

BIOS (Basic Input Output System) is a chip on your motherboard that controls the booting (the start up) of your computer. It checks your RAM and other hardware to make sure everything is ready. It also checks your hard drive and passes control of the boot process to a "bootloader" on the hard drive. The bootloader starts up the operating system, whether Windows, Linux, or other system.

There are some settings in BIOS (also called UEFI on newer computers) that may not be compatible with some Linux versions, so if you are interested in installing Linux, this is one of the questions that we would be asking you to check. There are about 300 different versions of Linux, but you would only need to check out a few, 2 or 3, or up to maybe 5 or 6, before you find one that you like. Some of them are better than others for new Linux users, so we recommend those first.

I hope that helps. If you can be more specific with your questions, we will try to also be more specific with answers.

Cheers

Members online