undoK

Reaction score
Credits
Hi, I'm relatively new to linux although I've been using it (and FOSS software) for about a month now, currently I'm running Pop!_OS and it's done me great service, I can play all the games I need using Steam Play and other than that it's pretty much what it is.

However recently I've wanted to switch to mint because the support is greater there and I feel due to its extended userbase nearly all my questions will have been asked beforehand. Unfortunately though I can't seem to get 120Hz on linux mint. I installed proprietary nvidia drivers using lm's driver manager, restarted my pc a bunch but to no avail. I can't get 120Hz on any of the linux mint flavors.

I can get 120hz if I do install the gnome desktop environment.... But then none of my steam play games launch (even though they did on 60hz)

I'm wondering: What does Pop!_OS have that linux mint doesn't? What packages do I need to install and how do I install them?

SideNotes that might be useful:
- I use a gaming laptop: "Lenovo Ideapad 3 Gaming"
- I have checked the display settings on all the other desktop environments and selected 120Hz, it just doesn't work.

Thanks in advance!

They can do the same, the only thing that Mint doesn't have what PopOS does is the Pop Shop but there is a software center with Mint. The refresh rate not going to 120Hz isn't a Desktop Environment problem, which Videocard do you have in your system?

They can do the same, the only thing that Mint doesn't have what PopOS does is the Pop Shop but there is a software center with Mint. The refresh rate not going to 120Hz isn't a Desktop Environment problem, which Videocard do you have in your system?
If you mean Videocard as in Graphics card I have a "GTX 1650 Ti". I would also like to once again point out that I'm using a gaming laptop and have heard things run a little different on them...

I used to have an Nvidia Graphics card and I was able so game on 160hz with my monitors, I had to configure it using nvidia-settings.
nt34c.png

You see in this screenshot where it says "Resolution", if I remember correctly to the right of that where it says "Auto" you should be able to select your refresh rate and than save it. In this screenshot it seems to be locked but it will be unlocked for your or there should be a way to unlock it. You will have to open nvidia-settings with sudo so that you can afterwards overwrite the xorg configuration file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf or something like that.

I used to have an Nvidia Graphics card and I was able so game on 160hz with my monitors, I had to configure it using nvidia-settings.
nt34c.png

You see in this screenshot where it says "Resolution", if I remember correctly to the right of that where it says "Auto" you should be able to select your refresh rate and than save it. In this screenshot it seems to be locked but it will be unlocked for your or there should be a way to unlock it. You will have to open nvidia-settings with sudo so that you can afterwards overwrite the xorg configuration file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf or something like that.
Thanks! Will return if this doesn't fix the problem which I'm most certain it will...

Members online

Latest posts