What do?

A

anotherstudent

Hi, I got my Samsung Chromebook a month ago, and I am new to all of this Linux jazz. I enrolled in an online programming course that uses Java. Since I can't install anything in Chrome OS, I used this tutorial to get ARM Linux: howtogeek.com/162120/how-to-install-ubuntu-linux-on-your-chromebook-with-crouton/

I think I installed the correct JDK from here (the top one that says ARM): oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk7-downloads-1880260.html

I'm still not sure if it will even work, but I am stuck on installing the IDE (BlueJ) that my teacher wants us to use: bluej.org/download/download.html

I'll get a third operating system if I have to. Could I get some help on how to start programming Java with BlueJ or maybe an alternative? Thaaaaaaaanks.

I don't need debian to download a deb file? I already have linux from that tutorial

Chrome OS is not good for anything that requires downloading. I suggest you use something like Ubuntu, that can install DEB packages (it is based off of Debian)

EDIT: Since your computer came with it, if you have a USB stick or a CD try using LinuxLive USB Creator and install Ubuntu from that.

Members online

Latest posts