• I want Tuxbot ionly in a dedicated Subforum / Category

Votes: 11 91.7%
  • I don't want TuxBot here around

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters

tinfoil-hat

Reaction score
Credits
What do you think of TuxBot? Do you want it around here?

Tux Bot has been extremely helpful to me and I was able to get a good idea on how to solve a DE problem.

I do not mind Tux, but the bot should be where it is or only respond when specifically invoked.

I do not mind Tux, but the bot should be where it is or only respond when specifically invoked.
Exactly!

Sandboxed :p

He/she (it?) is OK but an unnecessary frill on this site.

It could get annoying on TuxBot's sub-forum when one member to correct another user and TuxBot has to respond to it contributing almost nothing useful about it. I get annoyed, but I shouldn't.

I began the thread on purpose about QB64 programming since TuxBot specializes in giving programming advice. The advice it gave was actually pretty good but had to be corrected in places. Also in a forum specializing in Linux it assumed a path specification for Windows.:rolleyes:

I like a moderator of this site having the cute Tux Linux logo as avatar. Too bad other people have had the same exact avatar or a variation of it.

Hey Man!

Dude!

Sounds like Great Lebowski...

Sounds like ancient Californian surfer...

Unnecessary.

People all around the world read this forum.

Why?

to my mind Tux is a very useful tool, but we must remember he is still a young AI, and still learning, I dont know if @Rob has changed any Tuxes personalty parameters or if it's part of his learning but, Tux seems to me, to be adjusting the way he reacts with members.

It could get annoying on TuxBot's sub-forum when one member to correct another user and TuxBot has to respond to it contributing almost nothing useful about it. I get annoyed, but I shouldn't.

If you refer to the Member by their userid (eg @wendy-lebaron ) TuxBot will ignore the Post. For an example, see

https://www.linux.org/threads/safest-linux-distribution-to-switch-to.44760/post-189894

@Rob has, IIRC, a number of speech mode options or accents to choose from. If we all don't like the "accent" he might be able to change that.

People all around the world read this forum.

Why?

It's because of your, David's @KGIII 's, and my charismatic personalities, Alan. Oh, and @Rob 's. :rolleyes:

Please bear in mind what Rob said in the first thread in this subforum, in part

TuxBot is based on OpenAI's ChatGPT (using GPT 3.5) and can be very helpful. I gave him the personality of a cool California surfer. He knows quite a bit, but he's been wrong in the past.

Keep it Linux/coding related and 'PG rated'
Do not use code that he generates in anything important.
Do not run commands he gives you unless you completely understand what it will do.

This is a trial period and available to everyone

That excludes questions on motorcycle maintenance.

Please remember to vote, and I have made a couple of changes to the thread conditions:
1. Removed the end date to give us, say 3 months to evaluate responses
2. Preserved the anonymity of voters

Thanks @tinfoil-hat for starting this Thread.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Robert Pirsig wrote a good book (then heavily bastardized by authors unable to come up with their own ideas) about motorcycle maintenance. It's decidedly not a 'how-to', but it's definitely exciting and thought-provoking.

To add to my earlier comment, and to remain on topic, you may note that I do not actually use or interact with the bot. However, I don't really see fit to get overly perturbed by things other people like. As it stands, it's pretty trivial for me to avoid the bot. As folks have found legit help there, we might as well keep it.

This Forum is about helping people...any knowledgeable advice is always welcome from anywhere.
m1212.gif

Keep it, but keep it separate from the main forums, let people ask it questions, but don't let it answer questions in the main forums.

Basically, it's a search engine come database, finding answers from various places on the web, some of which we may never have heard of - but like with any answer, don't use them unless you understand them. :)

I don't mind Tux it's fun some times, but I'm with the Other Maine Dave on this one :)

I wish there were a simple, reliable flag that people could invoke in their posts that says, "No Tuxbot response to this post, please!" Something like, "@NoTuxResponse" or whatever works to prevent TuxBot from quoting and replying when not desired. The feature is supposed to be here, but it does not appear to work.

-> There were threads where I did not post helpful information or "the answer" just to avoid the annoyance of a TuxBot quote and reply. In effect, TuxBot has lowered the quality of answers in some threads here. (Yes, I understand that TuxBot also answers many questions that would otherwise go unanswered.)

"Dude, you're totally right that I gave gnarly advice when I told @surfer to adjust their display resolution with a hammer. Your recommendation to use a handsaw was a hang ten moment!"

-> There were threads where I did not post helpful information or "the answer" just to avoid the annoyance of a TuxBot quote and reply. In effect, TuxBot has lowered the quality of answers in some threads here. (Yes, I understand that TuxBot also answers many questions that would otherwise go unanswered.)
@DavePM is starting threads in the Ask TuxBot sub-forum. He is asking good questions.

I thought about answering them, but then held back because I did not want TuxBot to be quoting my posts and responding to them.

I thought about sending a PM to Dave to let him know about the issue, but felt that it would be wrong to discourage him from using TuxBot or drive his threads and questions in directions he does not want to go.

I like TuxBot and its responses very much when it is wanted. It has proven to be very helpful to members. I dislike it when it is in the mode where it responds to everything as annoyingly as possible and won't ignore the "ignore me" tags.

I hope we can have a reliable tag so users can post with confidence that TuxBot will not respond.

I wished Dave opened a thread instead away from TuxBot's place. I was going to answer too in the actual place. TuxBot has to have every even-numbered post on its forum LOL. For now.

But it doesn't work. You can see that TuxBot replied anyway.
The powers that be on this site are working on it. We have to be patient. :)

Members online