• I want TuxBox in every thread

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I want Tuxbot ionly in a dedicated Subforum / Category

Votes: 11 91.7%
  • I don't want TuxBot here around

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters
@KGIII This is test 1 of 2.

Let's see whether we get a response or not.

1. Tag as first characters in the post, this post. (Expected results: No Reply)

2. Tag embedded in the middle of the post. (Expected results: Reply)

The bot can't respond in this sub-forum... It only responds in that specific sub-forum.

The "at-username" has to be alone, like @KGIII demonstrated. Cannot write anything after the handle.

Oh well probably TuxBot went into an infinite loop waiting for release LOL...

The "at-username" has to be alone, like @KGIII demonstrated. Cannot write anything after the handle.

Oh well probably TuxBot went into an infinite loop waiting for release LOL...
Still trying to figure this out - You are saying that if a member tag is alone on its own line, then TuxBox will not respond. Is that right?

I wish there were a simple, reliable flag that people could invoke in their posts that says, "No Tuxbot response to this post, please!" Something like, "@NoTuxResponse" or whatever works to prevent TuxBot from quoting and replying when not desired. The feature is supposed to be here, but it does not appear to work.

-> There were threads where I did not post helpful information or "the answer" just to avoid the annoyance of a TuxBot quote and reply. In effect, TuxBot has lowered the quality of answers in some threads here. (Yes, I understand that TuxBot also answers many questions that would otherwise go unanswered.)

"Dude, you're totally right that I gave gnarly advice when I told @surfer to adjust their display resolution with a hammer. Your recommendation to use a handsaw was a hang ten moment!"
I'd like it the other way around, like IRC Bots, that they are only permitted to respond, if you specifical ask them. Things like "What distro should I use" could be quickly answered by the Bot and someone has to trigger the bot question. Otherwise we will at some point have 50/50 user and Ai content or even worse. That isn't what I think makes up a forum. If I want to chat with a robot, I get alpaca and try it out myself. On the other hand, if someone can't setup Alpaca, then it would be a good thing, if TuxBot is isolated in it's own subforum

Look in the thread and you will see my latest tests. TuxBot responded to my posts there, but not @KGIII's post just above it. I have yet to figure out how to stop TuxBot from responding to my posts consistently.

For the record, I do not care whether we have a member-created tag that causes TuxBot to ignore a post or a member-created tag that requests a response from TuxBot, but it would be nice to have a reliable method for members to control whether TuxBot responds to their post.

TuxBot seems to be afraid of the moderators...

Because I have made a test but TuxBot responded anyway. I agree with you, just at-sign-member's-name alone without frills, any member's name should do the trick.

I have no idea why the bot sometimes responds after adding the name first. It seems to be wildly inconsistent. Again, this doesn't really concern me 'cause the bot is limited to just that sub-forum. It's easy enough for me to not respond in that forum. If I feel compelled to respond in there, I'm probably also going to have to deal with bot responses (until this is resolved).

This is new tech. There will be teething issues. I'm one of those people that can ignore things I don't necessarily like. So, as long as it remains confined to the sub-forum, it's all good by me. If let loose to roam the whole forum, I'd be annoyed. Though, if that was accurately only invoking the bot when specifically asked, that'd be a different story.

I don’t think tuxbot needs to be involved in every single thread. That could get annoying.

Keep tuxbot’s dedicated section, where users can ask tuxbot questions.

For the other forums, you could perhaps set up a script to periodically scan for posts from the last couple of days that have had zero replies and get tuxbot to respond to them.

Sometimes posts do fall between the cracks and get no replies. Either through the right people not being online for a few days, or nobody here having the required expertise (in the case of some of the extremely rare, highly specific, technical questions we sometimes get).

So tuxbot could be a useful way of ensuring that ALL users get some kind of response to their queries within a reasonable time-frame.

For the other forums, you could perhaps set up a script to periodically scan for posts from the last couple of days that have had zero replies and get tuxbot to respond to them.
I agree with this, but every single one of TuxBot's posts would have to be prefaced with a disclaimer. Because the bot's advice is not always accurate. Many people take advice to heart and mind completely which is given on this site.

I agree with this, but every single one of TuxBot's posts would have to be prefaced with a disclaimer. Because the bot's advice is not always accurate. Many people take advice to heart and mind completely which is given on this site.
But then the thread would be pushed, wouldn't that be a good thing?

I am no longer responding to questions in the TuxBot forum. I may know the answer or know that TuxBot is misleading the OP, but will not respond there any longer.

I have decided that for me, TuxBot owns its forum. Answering questions there feels like interference, and the constant replies from TuxBot to my responses are annoying. I will ignore threads in that forum going forward.

In my opinion, TuxBot is incredibly useful and helpful, but it has flaws. The jury is still out on whether the quality of overall Linux.org responses to questions and problems is better or worse. In many ways, it is both.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts