What do ofono and connman do?

D

Deleted member 127267

I am curious about what ofono and connman does? Because I have some trouble with connman since it eats my CPU (i.e. consume above 90% of my CPU) sometimes and although I restart connman I could not succeed to connect internet then.
Although device works and it seems to connected to internet it is not.
So I decided to solve the connman error and look for reported bug reports. I saw somethings but none of them really solved with feasible solutions, they are system based specific solutions.
I am suspected at the end that; after restarting connman service after it fails(i.e by using sudo service connman restart), device's reference lost in somewhere. I must find where it was lost, in ofono or connman.
I learned that ofono is for connecting mobile GSM modems and some devices to system.
Connman, however, is a kind of connection manager which supports different connection types such as ethernet, wifi etc. and handles dhcp and ip taking processes.
Does anybody explain me how ofono and connman connects with each other?
1. which one is responsible for recognizing the usb modem's hardware and connect it to system? ofono or connman?
2. does both of them required for system ? What will happen when one of them is absent?
3. which one stores the modem device's reference and responsible of connect it to internet?
Maybe someone enlightens me soon.

URL : http://www.ofono.org/
License : GPLv2
Description : oFono.org is a place to bring developers together around designing an
: infrastructure for building mobile telephony (GSM/UMTS) applications.
: oFono includes a high-level D-Bus API for use by telephony
: applications. oFono also includes a low-level plug-in API for
: integrating with telephony stacks, cellular modems and storage
: back-ends.

daemon for managing Internet connections within embedded devices ( IOT )

URL : http://www.ofono.org/
License : GPLv2
Description : oFono.org is a place to bring developers together around designing an
: infrastructure for building mobile telephony (GSM/UMTS) applications.
: oFono includes a high-level D-Bus API for use by telephony
: applications. oFono also includes a low-level plug-in API for
: integrating with telephony stacks, cellular modems and storage
: back-ends.

daemon for managing Internet connections within embedded devices ( IOT )
Thanks for fast answer dos2unix! I looked ofono's git which is not so explanatory but description of oFono is well enough. Also in the connman's git page, the information clue that I want is written as :

"Various plugins can be enabled for networking support:
- Ethernet plugin
- WiFi plugin with WEP40/WEP128 and WPA/WPA2 (personal and enterprise)
- Bluetooth plugin (using BlueZ)
- 2G/3G/4G plugin (using oFono)
"
Therefore, connman uses oFono plugin to support 3G devices and ready them for networking(i.e. connection). What I understand is that oFono responsible as a "plugin" software for recognize and introduce modem hardware to OS over connman. Therefore, I think the answer of the error may be inside oFono files...

However, man page of oFono did not help me much : please look at yourself :

Last edited by a moderator:
hopeman wrote:
I have some trouble with connman since it eats my CPU (i.e. consume above 90% of my CPU) sometimes and although I restart connman I could not succeed to connect internet then.
It's hard to know what the cause of these problems is, but if you tried another method of connecting online, such as one of the others described at: https://wiki.debian.org/WiFi/HowToUse, and came to the same or different outcome, you might have a better basis for investigating the issues. Personally, I use the manual wpa_supplicant option to check the ability to connect and it's been reliable in my experience. If for example, that method works, you could then configure it to be automatic and your problems may be resolved. On the other hand, if the same CPU and failure to reconnect symptoms occur, then you might be looking at hardware issues. In any case, it looks like it will take some fiddly investigation for which the debian wiki pages on wifi and networking should be helpful.

I am not entirely sure what you are trying to do here?

Use a telephone modem? Use wifi? On a PC? On an embedded IOT device?

hopeman wrote:

It's hard to know what the cause of these problems is, but if you tried another method of connecting online, such as one of the others described at: https://wiki.debian.org/WiFi/HowToUse, and came to the same or different outcome, you might have a better basis for investigating the issues. Personally, I use the manual wpa_supplicant option to check the ability to connect and it's been reliable in my experience. If for example, that method works, you could then configure it to be automatic and your problems may be resolved. On the other hand, if the same CPU and failure to reconnect symptoms occur, then you might be looking at hardware issues. In any case, it looks like it will take some fiddly investigation for which the debian wiki pages on wifi and networking should be helpful.
I am looking for wpa_supplicant option too.Yes finding the error is not so easy, I also reported it as bug to connman and I am waiting reply. If any answer returned, I will share it here too.
Dear dos2unix, I stated the problem in the first post, but maybe I forgot some details. I am not using wifi, but 3g usb cellular modem(cabled) on my desktop pc.

Until now, I have found that the problem looks like that USB modem device is working but device's reference to ofono or connman(I do not know which one holds it) lost after restarting both programs' services. Device-network connection could not re-established.
More specifically, after the error, I can ping the modem device's IP address-192.168.1.1- successfuly. Even network manager looks correct (including gateway, IP address configs etc). However, ping to google.com does not work.
In some forum pages, some people disable connman service and solve the problem. However, when I disable connman, I completely lost network.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suppose you are aware AT&T and Tmobile are shutting down 3G nationwide next month?
I think Verizon and other carriers shortly after that. I don't know what the plans are in Turkey,
but as I understand it, everyone will need to drop3G soon.

Dear dos2unix, it is really interesting news about 3G. However, as far as I know, service providers in Türkiye continuing to 3G beside 4.5G.

Neither is needed for wifi to work.
ofono:
Installed: (none)
Candidate: 1.31-3
connman:
Installed: (none)
Candidate: 1.36-2.3

I bypassed (i.e. stop connman service) and manually configured my network ...So no more need to debug oFono or connman. But I have sent a bug report to connman's related person (Alexander Sack).

Members online

Latest posts