What do Linux users want in a Linux game/application?

Maybe if they knew how to use an alternative keyboard, they'd be able to say it's 72° instead of just dropping the symbol or typing out degrees. The list goes on.

I get you, but people who write "could of" instead of "could've" aren't even using the keyboard or language correctly.

For people like me, it just isn't common enough to matter. I can write 80 degrees or 100 JPY. It's quicker for the one time I'll use it than learning to customise a keyboard layout, then remembering all the custom keys I've made for stuff I barely use.

The only thing I do remotely similar is use non QWERTY keyboards and just set them as British English. Which can be a nightmare to find "{" and "}" when you've not coded JS in a while!

From reading your previous posts you are a mathematician I think, so you have a lot of symbols that you do want to use, probably regularly that do matter. Math notation is cryptic to me and when my vague interest in cryptography has led me to it, I've had to search out pseudocode work out the meaning. Lines of pseudocode all crammed into a single line of symbols and squigly lines must be useful when you know how.

I only came across the funny 'u' you posted previously because there is an electronic music label called 'planet-u' run by an artist named 'u-ziq'. So I know how to pronounce it but that's all.

It's 'mu'. Like a cow. µ is AltGr + M. It means different things, depending on the field. µg is 'microgram' for example, in engineering the µ is a micron - though that may be deprecated for µm as the micrometer.

These days, I seldom type mathematical equations. I do type things like Microsoft®. It's remarkably easy to do with a proper keyboard layout. I also often need to type £ or €. We live in a global society and it's remarkably easy to write properly with the right layout.

I doubt it's all laziness. I suspect it's also ignorance. Folks simply don't know how easy it is. Hell, the laptop I bought last has an AltGr key labeled on it, so maybe it's going to start to change. If you don't have such a key, it's usually the right Alt button.

I doubt it's all laziness. I suspect it's also ignorance. Folks simply don't know how easy it is. Hell, the laptop I bought last has an AltGr key labeled on it, so maybe it's going to start to change. If you don't have such a key, it's usually the right Alt button.

I'd agree there will be ignorance amongst certain groups of people/workers. I will actually remember the key for µ because it weirdly is signified on my keyboard on the M key. It's a QWERTZ. The @ symbol on the Q key also works. So I have two ways to do an @ symbol.

Now watch this drive! 2³² = 4294967296

My previous use of the Alt-gr key was to take a print screen of the active window when it is a right-click.

I should start a campaign to encourage people to try new keyboard layouts. There's more than just QWERTY out there. Regardless of OS, I think people just use the defaults - much like they do for everything else.

Even when I used Windows, I used an international keyboard layout. I think I've used an alternative layout since about the time it first became available in software. Once you learn it, it becomes so much easier. Yes, yes I do hope (not really expect, but hope) that folks will spell it résumé.

Hmm...

I'm gonna find a way to turn keyboard layouts into an article!

If you do try an alternative layout, it's probably easiest to use an AltGr type of layout. There are some where you press a modifier, like ', and then you press the second character - maybe to type í. This will mess with your flow until you adjust to it and that's a pain in the butt. Every time you want to use the ' character, you have to press it twice. So, that kinda sucks until you get used to it.

Members online

Latest posts