WHAT DISTRO LINUX IS THE LIGHTEST?

memogssc25

Reaction score
Credits
NO SE SI ME PUEDAN APOYAR, QUE DISTRO LINUX SERA LA CORRECTA EN INSTALAR EN MI PC, ES UNA LAPTOP GATEWAY, CELERON R1, 2 GB EN RAM, 256GB EN DD, CON WINDOWS VA DE LO PEOR.

G'day, Welcome to linux.org

The translation below took me all of 20 seconds on Google Translate.

Why can't you do that ?

I DON'T KNOW IF THEY CAN SUPPORT ME, WHICH DISTRO LINUX WILL BE THE RIGHT TO INSTALL ON MY PC, IT IS A GATEWAY LAPTOP, CELERON R1, 2 GB RAM, 256GB DD, WITH WINDOWS IT IS THE WORST

I've modified the Member's Thread Title to read in English.

G'day @memogssc25 welcome to linux.org :)

Please read the following article to see if there is a Distro which suits your needs.

Lea el siguiente artículo para ver si hay una distribución que se adapte a sus necesidades.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-weight_Linux_distribution

We do not have the resources to keep translating backward and forward, so from this point in time, you will need to work with English. Thank you.

No tenemos los recursos para seguir traduciendo hacia atrás y hacia adelante, por lo que a partir de este momento, deberá trabajar con el inglés. Gracias.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

I've modified the Member's Thread Title to read in English.

G'day @memogssc25 welcome to linux.org :)

Please read the following article to see if there is a Distro which suits your needs.

Lea el siguiente artículo para ver si hay una distribución que se adapte a sus necesidades.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-weight_Linux_distribution

We do not have the resources to keep translating backward and forward, so from this point in time, you will need to work with English. Thank you.

No tenemos los recursos para seguir traduciendo hacia atrás y hacia adelante, por lo que a partir de este momento, deberá trabajar con el inglés. Gracias.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz
Puppy O.S. este bon!

WHY ARE WE YELLING?!?

I don't know since you can't put an iso file on a scale, it was easier to weigh something that was burned on a CD or DVD.

I am reminded of this:

EDIT: Here was a grouchy message that I decided to delete :)

~~~

That said, and in response to this topic, I share that I had a good experience exactly yesterday bringing back an old friend's notebook, which seemed useless with a Windows 8 full of viruses, and accepted the Lite version of Zorin OS, which is based on Ubuntu. It has different versions, including an even more accessible one, which is "Education".

On the website you can download the file (.iso) and later, with the help of a specific program, saving this .iso file on a USB stick, so that it is bootable and installed. But I am assuming that this knowledge is also available here on the forum. There's a thread here with suggestions on how to do this with Puppy OS that our friend @Carosone suggested

~~~~~~

Dicho esto, y en respuesta a este tema, les comparto que tuve una buena experiencia exactamente ayer trayendo de vuelta el cuaderno de un viejo amigo, que parecía inútil con un Windows 8 lleno de virus, y acepté la versión Lite de Zorin OS, que se basa en Ubuntu. Tiene diferentes versiones, incluida una aún más accesible, la Educativa.

En el sitio web puedes descargar el archivo (.iso) y posteriormente, con la ayuda de un programa específico, instalar este archivo .iso en una memoria USB, para que sea de arranque, es decir, para que sea reconocido en una computadora. justo después de llamar. Pero asumo que este conocimiento de cómo hacer esto también está disponible aquí en el foro. Aquí hay un hilo con sugerencias sobre cómo hacer esto con Puppy OS que sugirió nuestro amigo @Carosone

Last edited:
@Rafaelys People here on the forums are more than willing to help, it's just that some questions get asked quite a lot. To keep it lighthearted people tend to joke around bit sometimes otherwise we would start feeling like answering machines having to answer the same question over and over again. Forums have a search function, forum etiquette is to use the search function(or google) first before posting to prevent from having to re-answer the same question over and over again. @wizardfromoz I think it would be a good idea to create a sticky topic with content about lightweight Linux distributions since that gets asked quite alot, so that we can refer to that if we get more topics asking about lightweight Linux distributions.

I have put a Like on both of the above, because IMO both have merit.

A handy technique I use is to run my mouse over that avatar of Members asking support questions, if a Thread has not had an answer from the OP (Original Poster, here, @memogssc25 ) - (these are my times in Australia), joined 2 December, last seen 9 December, starting this Thread. No input since.

Then a 2 week hiatus before some of the light-hearted banter, following @Carosone 's valid suggestion of Puppy.

In Australia we call Christmas-New Year "the silly season", and #5 through #7 might be seen as examples of that. If the Member came back I might consider cleaning those up.

I get considerable feedback from new Members, and read the Member Introductions, and very many of them say they have done some research before joining here, and that it is one of the friendliest and most knowledgeable sites out there.

@Rafaelys you have only been with us 9 to 10 days, after 9 to 10 months you might form a different opinion, I hope :)

@f33dm3bits when I get to make time, I may post and stick a Thread with a few links to lightweight Linux distributions, probably in Getting Started.

Cheers all

Wizard

I may post and stick a Thread with a few links to lightweight Linux distributions, probably in Getting Started.

There's a bunch of 'em to pull from there, if needed.

Such an article is eventually on my to-do list. I just need to sit down and write it - and verify all the data, and format it, and link to it, and make sure it's still updated, and ...

Yeah that's one I have been pointing people to for years, David, but last time I referenced it may have been before you joined :)

I refer to that one for lightweights, and the following for illustrating how the Families are composed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_distributions

Wiz

I keep an updated copy of the Linux family tree on that page.

Sadly, it's not easy to reference but I still keep a copy - usually converted to .png so it's not a giant .svg file or the likes.

I keep thinking that I should get that image custom printed and framed, but it'd only be valid for a short time before more distros were added. Still, it'd be neat to have a framed version hanging on my study wall.

I'm guessing when they mean lightest they are talking about a non bloated distro? Would something like arch or gentoo be considered light? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

I'm guessing when they mean lightest they are talking about a non bloated distro? Would something like arch or gentoo be considered light? Sorry if this is a dumb question.
Yes, I think they fall into that category as well as Debian, OpenSuse and others which offer the possibility to install via a netinstall cd, so you build the system up from the ground to your liking, but they're not as "user-friendly" as others and do require some experience to deal with the installation and post-install process.

Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Mate the only dumb questions are the ones that remain unasked :)

Lightweight also describe Distros which are not memory-intensive, for example the OP (original poster) has only 2 GB RAM in his rig. Also those which do not require the latest CPU (chip).

This is an area where Linux comes into its own, in that there are Distros which can cater to what we call Legacy equipment (old computers with modest specifications), so people don't necessarily have to throw out an old computer which is still operating.

Cheers

Wizard

@Rafaelys People here on the forums are more than willing to help, it's just that some questions get asked quite a lot. To keep it lighthearted people tend to joke around bit sometimes otherwise we would start feeling like answering machines having to answer the same question over and over again. Forums have a search function, forum etiquette is to use the search function(or google) first before posting to prevent from having to re-answer the same question over and over again. @wizardfromoz I think it would be a good idea to create a sticky topic with content about lightweight Linux distributions since that gets asked quite alot, so that we can refer to that if we get more topics asking about lightweight Linux distributions.

Well, guys, I feel that maybe I made the exact same mistake that I was trying to point out, and doing it in relation to people who have helped a lot more than me here in this forum (?) Lol

I edited the most emotional part of the message and left only the most useful part. May all linux beings benefit!

Amigo, my US friends have a saying "No harm, no foul" - take that as read in your case. :)

It only takes some time to get to know us and I believe you will find we are a pretty good crowd.

If you get the chance, do get your arse over to Member Introductions

https://linux.org/forums/member-introductions.141/

and tell us a bit of the Rafaelys story. You'll meet a few more of the gang, and we would be happy to hear from you.

Enjoy your Linux and stay safe from COVID

Chris

This general topic, 'What Distro of Linux is the lightest?' seems to be a good place to ask this question. I have two older tablets that I hope to repurpose into Linux based units. My main computer is a Dell that used to have Windows 10 as the OS. During one of the (way too) many updates/upgrades that Windows liked to do, the update asked for some log-in information. I entered the information used to access my email account. Wrong answer. After about three attempts to get the 'update' to finish, and after near total frustration set in, I put a DVD that had an ISO of Ubuntu burned onto it. Rebooted the computer and never looked back to Windows. Slowly, I am learning my way around the Linux arena. My question now is: Would Raspup be a suitable choice to install on an older RCA tablet that has Android 6.1 for the OS and about 10.5 GB of available memory? I will burn the Raspup to a micro USB card for use. Thank you. Jim43

Members online