What brought you to Linux?

I can easily say this is the hardest part of making the final decision to become a Linux user, especially full time. There are so many distributions out there and many of them offer more benefits than anything. I definitely say to continue testing and check out Distro Watch - it is a valuable site to find a plethora of distributions. Plus, it allows you to see just how up-to-date distributions. When I become interested in a distro that was not familiar to me, I try to check it out on Distro Watch to see if it is still updating in any way, which is very important. The decision can be hard to make and you might even become a distro hopper - I can admit that I have been guilty of it at times, haha. Good luck!;)

Yeah, that's the hardest part. The decision can be made on interest and what kind of packages and applications would you been needing to run. I choose Ubuntu at first just cause i was introduced to it first, but now i have plans to make my move to Linux Mint. I prefered the old Desktop Environment, i'll probably wait till Unity stars to look simpler, or maybe it might not.

Hey everyone. Just started using Linux this week.
Android is what brought me to Linux. I've got into rooting and all that followed, got addicted to flashing roms,tweaks, then I came across an Ubuntu installer and decided to put 10.xx with lxde and gnome on the phone and wow, easy, smooth. Ran smooth off the phone. Looked into it for Winders and just started messing with distro hopping and learning how to diagnose windows probs.
Tried puppy and Ubuntu so far, going to try mint lxde today, and maybe android, and... all of them?

"Why can't my computer be as customizable as my DROID? Oh it can! Bye, windows xp. :)

Hello,i switched to Linux for some several reasons.The first thing is that many distributions are completely free, downloadable from the internet with thousands of packages.For each application there are several choices that I use in Linux that gives you the complete control of the PC.

I've heard about Linux for years, but honestly Android got me on to Linux too. I hadn't rooted my phone yet as I'm scared I may brick it but I am getting the necessary knowledge from various articles and sites into rooting my phone. Also, from what I heard, you can do a lot more on Linux than with Windows though most programs are more compatible on Windows.

Heard about linux a long time ago. just recently, about 3 months I was able to use it when a friend let me use his Del laptop. I am still getting the hang of it though since i have been a windows user ever since.

Heard about linux a long time ago. just recently, about 3 months I was able to use it when a friend let me use his Del laptop. I am still getting the hang of it though since i have been a windows user ever since.

Which distro are you using? For Windows refugees, I would recommend Ubuntu because it has an interface similar to Windows. That could make your transition to Linux less traumatic.

Which distro are you using? For Windows refugees, I would recommend Ubuntu because it has an interface similar to Windows. That could make your transition to Linux less traumatic.

Really? but the features are different right or there are certain functions similar to windows? sorry if its kind of a noob question =/

I would like to know - What other than the interface is similar to that of Windows functions? I've known that there are applications that can substitute Windows applications on Ubuntu, and also that Linux was mostly Command Line and the trend changed later, but users still prefer the old geekish Command line for doing a lot of stuff.

dogma68, just to clarify, what do you mean by features and functions?

I began late with DOS and moved to 2.1, then 95, 98, 98SE and ME. Then, after five years with NT4 and W2K tweaking registries to get all the performance possible for GIS apps, reloading the OS too many times to count and troubleshooting others' workstations, I burnt out. Took a sabbatical away from the techie scene for a few and when I came back swore I would wean myself away from the BSOD and registry and all else associated with the dominant OS ASAP. Now, I am Pane-Free! And I'm glad for it. So, "Don't look back, you can never look back!" Reach ahead for the prize!

BTW -- LinuxFest Northwest was great!

Awesome story - and we were gonna send a guy (elliot!) to linuxfest nw but found out about it too late!

Now we know the meaning of your name - spread the linuxforum word!

Had lots of fun, met many, learned much; and I was especially impressed with the new openSUSE and its capabilities as given in demos while at LFNW, this year.

Will do (and you do, too, next year), Rob!

Staff online