What attributes do you need to be a commentator/helper on this site?

Brickwizard

Reaction score
Credits
My selection is
1] a working knowledge of Linux
2] the ability to decrypt questions
And the ownership of a working crystal ball

now what's your 3 ?

Mine are very similar:
1) A working Knowledge of Linux and various Distros
2) The Patience of Job when interpreting questions.
3) information, Information, Information :)

Nothing but a user account on Linux.org. This post proves it. You forgot to include the word "Good" in the thread title. :-(

Time... Time and a willingness...

I throw a whole lot of time at this subject, including this site. For something that's a hobby, I spend almost enough time to claim it's a profession - just one that pays really poorly.

The ability to spot Trolls and time wasters with problems that don't exist.
m1212.gif

A finely tuned "instinct"......otherwise know as a bs meter

An ability to "know" when the op is going to be a greater problem than their perceived problem

Patience.....great gobfulls of patience. can also be known as the innate ability to just fall asleep instantaneously.

1- Experience running a variety of Linux distributions
2- Dedication, determination and persistence
3- Ability to troubleshoot, multi-task and have patience with others

And yeah, @Condobloke I second that, having the instinct to detect bs! LOL!

A finely tuned "instinct"......otherwise know as a bs meter

An ability to "know" when the op is going to be a greater problem than their perceived problem

Patience.....great gobfulls of patience. can also be known as the innate ability to just fall asleep instantaneously.

Patience exactly...especially when someone claims they can't burn an ISO to a Flash Drive...the easiest thing to do.

They can always use DuckDuckGo..."How to" even comes with pictures...
https://www.makeuseof.com/how-to-write-an-iso-image-file-to-usb-flash-with-etcher/

I noticed from the article above you can Clone a Drive with Etcher...has anyone tried this...might give this a try.
m1213.gif

Patience exactly...especially when someone claims they can't burn an ISO to a Flash Drive...the easiest thing to do.

They can always use DuckDuckGo..."How to" even comes with pictures...
https://www.makeuseof.com/how-to-write-an-iso-image-file-to-usb-flash-with-etcher/

I noticed from the article above you can Clone a Drive with Etcher...has anyone tried this...might give this a try.
m1213.gif
One thing that I have learned is that many tasks that people take for granted as "the easiest thing to do" can be very difficult for others. Some people think differently than you or me. Often they lack that foundational experience or knowledge that we got while growing up.

My brother-in-law and his partner know nothing about basic tools. When they buy furniture, we usually get an invitation to lunch or dinner. One time we assembled a piece of furniture for them. During assembly, my partner was in an awkward place and asked her brother to put in a screw for her, and he complained that it was not going in. That is when we realized that he doesn't know which way to turn a screwdriver (as in "righty-tighty, lefty-loosy"). You might assume that everyone knows which way to turn a screwdriver, but apparently not. Even people in Australia know which way to turn a screwdriver, despite the fact that their cars, drains, and seasons go the wrong way. ;-)

So yeah, patience is important, but so is empathy. I do not fully understand what went wrong with the "burn an ISO to a flash drive" thread. It is easy to criticize the OP in that thread, but do not discount the possibility that we could have done better ourselves. I agree that the thread reached a point where both the OP and helpers gave up on solving the problem and started antagonizing one another out of annoyance. In my opinion, you can spread the blame for that failure to both sides.

despite the fact that their cars, drains, and seasons go the wrong way. ;-)
Sorry not with you, If you are referring to driving/riding on the left, this was the international Norm, until Napoleon , having been beaten by the English, dictated France and its territories will drive/ride on the right to differentiate themselves , and it spread from there. The tradition comes from the majority of people being right-handed, so you could ride with a single left hand on the reins and keep your right-hand free to Wield your sword [that's also why helical stairs in castle keeps across Europe have a left turn]

Sorry not with you, If you are referring to driving/riding on the left, this was the international Norm, until Napoleon , having been beaten by the English, dictated France and its territories will drive/ride on the right to differentiate themselves , and it spread from there. The tradition comes from the majority of people being right-handed, so you could ride with a single left hand on the reins and keep your right-hand free to Wield your sword [that's also why helical stairs in castle keeps across Europe have a left turn]
All true, just teasing because there are many Australians here. I debated with myself about including it and probably should not have done so, as it was obviously a distraction from the main point, which is "Have a heart when helping others. Not everybody has the same skills that you take for granted."

Last edited:
Good one @f33dm3bits !

Of course we need to be multi mutil lingual....and if there are any dialect differences rolled into the mix we should be conversant with those as well.

For instance in Australia, there are wee little differences in the english language used between states.....a person from western australia may give slightly different meaning to exactly the same words used by a new south welchman....and as for queensland, the extra heat up there turned'em a bit strange long ago....

it's a hard life, but being the cleverish little peanuts that we are, we can handle it.

Good one @f33dm3bits !

Of course we need to be multi mutil lingual....and if there are any dialect differences rolled into the mix we should be conversant with those as well.

For instance in Australia, there are wee little differences in the english language used between states.....a person from western australia may give slightly different meaning to exactly the same words used by a new south welchman....and as for queensland, the extra heat up there turned'em a bit strange long ago....

it's a hard life, but being the cleverish little peanuts that we are, we can handle it.
Spanish-speaking people come from all over. A word that is perfectly normal in the dialect of one country may be highly vulgar and offensive in another.

In the US, the FCC gets an occasional complaint about the use of bad language in Spanish on the radio. The problem is that the speaker never knew it was considered offensive by listeners from another country. (The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) is a government agency that establishes broadcast rules.)

One thing that I have learned is that many tasks that people take for granted as "the easiest thing to do" can be very difficult for others. Some people think differently than you or me. Often they lack that foundational experience or knowledge that we got while growing up.

I didn't grow up with computers..so I had to learn just like everyone else...if someone can't burn an ISO to a Flash Drive they should stay with windowz.
m1213.gif

You might assume that everyone knows which way to turn a screwdriver, but apparently not. Even people in Australia know which way to turn a screwdriver, despite the fact that their cars, drains, and seasons go the wrong way. ;-)

If someone can't use a screwdriver...well what can I say...they might be a genius with computers but wait...you'd have to know how to use a screwdriver to work on a computer.
m0103.gif

We Aussies drive on the correct side of the road as do many other countries...
https://www.businessinsider.com/which-countries-drive-on-left-2018-10?op=1

Of cause our seasons are the opposite because we're in the Southern Hemisphere...even a guy that can't use a screwdriver knows that and don't forget us Aussies invented WIFI too.
m1212.gif

Last edited:
After having dug to a depth of 10 feet last year, British scientists found traces of copper wire dating back 200 years and came to the conclusion that their ancestors already had a telephone network more than 150 years ago.
Not to outdo the British, in the weeks that followed, an American archaeologist dug to a depth of 20 feet, and shortly after, a story published in the New York Times: “American archaeologists, finding traces of 250-year-old copper wire, have concluded that their ancestors already had an advanced high-tech communications network 50 years earlier than the British”.
One week later, Australia’s Northern Territory Times reported the following: “After digging as deep as 30 feet in his backyard in Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Knackers Johnson, a self-taught archaeologist, reported that he found absolutely bugger-all. Knackers has therefore concluded that 250 years ago, Australia had already gone wireless.”
…Makes ya feel bloody proud to be Australian don’t it?

I don't think she could burn an ISO to a Flash Drive...

m0103.gif

Hhmmm ... borderline Bob

I'd probably walk a long way before I could go better than Alex at #7.

Wiz

"What attributes do you need to be a commentator/helper on this site?"

I'm not interested.

It's because I offered a few reviews on Distrowatch but it looks like they blocked me for the last couple of them. I felt I had to warn a few people what could happen with a couple of distros I tried, and especially with older equipment. I don't get anything by lying and by inventing my own accomplishments and experiences, I'm not here for that and it was the same way with other social-networking sites I've joined.

I did the first review in one year for Nutyx. That was accepted. As a result cannot do so for Archbang nor Slackel but the good word really needs to get out for those two, and not something like Crunchbang++ which was recently added to the reviewable list. The last review I remember being accepted from me was for EndeavourOS.

I did a review of MX Linux and got rebuffed so far, which I think is not nice. Rather liked this copy I didn't get from their official website, got it from Sourceforge "remastered" by a Japanese engineer. I took it down because there was no way to set the date and time, not even with Internet sync, didn't care what time zone I wanted to set and otherwise it had UTC wrong, many hours late. I didn't write that issue in my review because I discovered it later.

(For some reason I do the Sourceforge search for it and cannot find it. I think the ISO for Japanese was called "xfce-ja.iso" or alike. I picked the other ISO for English. The site page had a date in March-2023. The GRUB menu sings "MX-RESPIN" as part of a long name at the top.)

I did a second part of the review of Spiral Linux but was rejected because it had "too many" characters. Yet I see people going over the limit easily regularly. I'm convinced they don't want my contributions, either that or that site is ancient and/or it doesn't have enough moderation.

Tempted to create an account with "linuxquestions-dot-org" to see if they could at least accept my distro reviews. I had quite a few but didn't want to keep the text files on disk after posting them to some web site. Otherwise I think I need my own blog.

Anyway I have to stay with a certain distro for at least a month, or maybe a bit longer so that a detailed description is more fair. Even better if I test on a second computer, a desktop construction, a "gamer's" computer or something like that. I get annoyed easily by little things that I point out. But for example, is the length of time taking for Debian to rebuild "initramfs" a little thing for anyone else? How about the number of times it could do that per update to kernel, GRUB, "systemd", "shim" or whatever?

I go with what happened to me, but by no means am I a Linux "intermediate" or "expert" or "willing helper". Leave that to other people who know much more than me and are perhaps making a living informing other people.

My selection is
1] a working knowledge of Linux
2] the ability to decrypt questions
And the ownership of a working crystal ball

now what's your 3 ?
Mine would be:

1: Good knowledge with Linux, like you said

2: Knowledge of common Linux problems with either the OS, some Program, or Hardware

3: Coffee

Members online