What are Some Interesting Things in Debian 10.7 That I Should Look Forward to?

D

Deleted member 111282

I'm normally a Mint user, but for a while, I've been wanting to see what Debian is like just for the hell of it.

It's just a point release, so there aren't any major changes.

If you want to know the difference between it and Mint...

Ubuntu is derived from Debian and Mint is derived from Ubuntu. Under the hood, they're pretty similar. If you install Cinnamon (assuming that's what you're using with Mint) then it'll even look pretty much the same.

Debian doesn't do PPAs, as a general rule. That'll be different for you. There aren't really all that many differences.

Oh, you'll have to jump through some hoops with Debian. Debian defaults to no proprietary anything and that includes things like codecs. So, you'll have to futz about with those.

Other than that, it's an aptitude based distro that is a grand-parent of Mint.

If you can figure out Mint, you can figure out Debian pretty easily. You'll need to use a search engine a few times, but it's otherwise pretty much the same thing.

It's just a point release, so there aren't any major changes.

If you want to know the difference between it and Mint...

Ubuntu is derived from Debian and Mint is derived from Ubuntu. Under the hood, they're pretty similar. If you install Cinnamon (assuming that's what you're using with Mint) then it'll even look pretty much the same.

Debian doesn't do PPAs, as a general rule. That'll be different for you. There aren't really all that many differences.

Oh, you'll have to jump through some hoops with Debian. Debian defaults to no proprietary anything and that includes things like codecs. So, you'll have to futz about with those.

Other than that, it's an aptitude based distro that is a grand-parent of Mint.

If you can figure out Mint, you can figure out Debian pretty easily. You'll need to use a search engine a few times, but it's otherwise pretty much the same thing.

Although I already knew Debian was the grandparent of Mint, thanks for the info

I use the OS for some days now and I don't feel like I can review it just yet, in a year for example I would have done lots of things with it and would have counted how many times it crashed and why etc. Here some thing that I can say:

1) Comparing the esthetics of cinnamon that I use in Debian with win10 it's like, how to say it, baroque music vs Slavic hardbass (Russia <3). It's up to you which is which.

2) I got the latest stable Blender directly from the official site, and this is bleeding edge tech, so the dated software in Debian it's a myth or not entirely true.

3) Considering that it's almost impossible for anyone to review the code of an OS even if it's in your face, and I'm sorry for saying this, Debian did not went from free software through a private company (with arguable practices in its record) and back again, like Mint did. But this is just personal reasoning and I'm not experienced enough, It's just how I think. I left windows for reasons and I don't want not even its shadow on my stuff.

In overall, I feel delighted and stupid for not trying it earlier even though I knew.

I'm having trouble trying to install the base system through Virtualbox. I'm able to partition it just fine though.

I'm having trouble trying to install the base system through Virtualbox. I'm able to partition it just fine though.
I think that they try to make the installer user friendly (subjective) with that live installer and the graphical installer, I had some problems with both ... text-based installer do the job every time for me. I think because they have that tool they don't put much effort to the other options. If you want to actually install Debian and mess up with partitions put your money on the text based installer.

Just let the installer do that for you; use the defaults, it works every time for me. Debian is a great OS, I've been using it for the last couple of years and like any other out there, it has it flaws and strengths but generally speaking it is a very easy to use, rock-stable system. I'm looking forward to the next stable release, Debian 11 a.k.a. Bullseye, which is still at a testing phase, I'm running it in a VM and quite impressed with it so far, even tempted to install it just now ... and maybe I do. :)

I think that they try to make the installer user friendly (subjective) with that live installer and the graphical installer, I had some problems with both ... text-based installer do the job every time for me. I think because they have that tool they don't put much effort to the other options. If you want to actually install Debian and mess up with partitions put your money on the text based installer.

I tried using that, and kept running into the same issue. Because I was annoyed with having to keep starting from square one again, I decided to try running Ubuntu MATE in Virtualbox. While that's much easier to set up, the problem is how unbelievably slow it is in Virtualbox.

Update: After changing the settings to fixed disk size, I managed to get to move faster. I'm in the process of installing it now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Comparing Debian with windows. Debian let you choose what happens when you press the power button and has a ''shutdown immediately'' option and it literally mean it. Never saw before a faster shutdown than this one. It just go off, done, over, is there anything not saved? none cares

I'm not sure if this is even possible in windows, all I know is a painful procedure that I do every time since ever

are you sure?
are you sure this is what you really want?
last chance
OK I shut down
if you are lucky and there isn't any update work...................................

And never, not once, actually be proven helpful by preventing loss of any unsaved work. This alone it's enough to forget windows forever

Last edited:
TBH, I've given up on trying to install Debian in Virtualbox. It shouldn't be an Einstein project just to do that.

TBH, I've given up on trying to install Debian in Virtualbox. It shouldn't be an Einstein project just to do that.
What problems did you run into? I just tried installing Debian in virtualbox and didn't run into anything, installed the base system and an desktop environment.

What problems did you run into? I just tried installing Debian in virtualbox and didn't run into anything, installed the base system and an desktop environment.

I was trying to install the base system, but I keep getting an error message saying it didn't work. Not to sound like I'm slapping your hand away, but I really just don't care anymore.

I was trying to install the base system, but I keep getting an error message saying it didn't work. Not to sound like I'm slapping your hand away, but I really just don't care anymore.
No problem, I was only curious as in what problem your ran into.

I remember some computers running Debian at early 00s in some private company. I had no idea what a miracle was to see the desktop of Debian at that time, I didn't respect thοse people enough. Do not trash Debian for it has came a long way.

I remember some computers running Debian at early 00s in some private company. I had no idea what a miracle was to see the desktop of Debian at that time, I didn't respect thοse people enough. Do not trash Debian for it has came a long way.

I'm not trashing Debian, I'm saying installing it (at least for me) is more of a challenge than necessary

Members online