Wget "waiting for response"

Is the address correct? I don't see anything at that address

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2023-03-05 22-50-05.png
    Screenshot from 2023-03-05 22-50-05.png
    314.6 KB · Views: 128
use
Code:
wget -U 'Mozilla/5.0' https://www.autozone.com/znetrgs/repair_guide_content/en_us/images/0996b43f/80/24/52/16/large/0996b43f80245216.gif

It passes Mozilla/5.0 as a header to the page and for me allowed it to download.

I tried posting a solution but it is awaiting moderator approval so i'll just send this instead. This passes Mozilla/5.0 as a header to the page and for me allowed it to download.
wget Autozone Schematic.jpg

That did it, THANKS.
Now, if its not to much trouble, do you have an explaination for "This passes Mozilla/5.0 as a header to the page"? What does this do? If its to complex thats ok, I'll be looking it up.

but it is awaiting moderator approval so i'll just send this instead.

You get that if you post a URL before you have a half a dozen Posts under your belt - spam protection. I have approved it now.

Welcome @xanifer

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

from what I understand, when you send an HTTP request/response you send information to the server such as operating system, type of connection, etc. and in this case the server requires to know what browser you are using in order to download the file. the -U "browser" tells it, in this case, that you are using Mozila/5.0. if you run
Code:
wget -S address
you can see the header information of the HTTP request/response.

You get that if you post a URL before you have a half a dozen Posts under your belt - spam protection. I have approved it now.

Welcome @xanifer

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz
no problem. I understand.

That did it, THANKS.
Now, if its not to much trouble, do you have an explaination for "This passes Mozilla/5.0 as a header to the page"? What does this do? If its to complex thats ok, I'll be looking it up.
The server was probably set up to reject, or ignore http requests with no user-agent, which is why you got the "waiting for a response" message.

By passing "Mozilla/5.0" via wget's -U (user-agent) option - it effectively tells the server that the request is coming from a mozilla browser. So you're spoofing the connection to make it look like it's a browser that's connecting. Then the server will accept the request and respond.

:Edit:
I should have read the entire thread before posting, looks like @xanifer already answered that question! Oops! :/ Ha ha!

Members online

Latest posts