Welcome to Ubuntu 18.4 Screen

Eddie Paul Litz

Reaction score
Credits
How do I get the "Welcome to Ubuntu 18.4 Screen" to come up again?

The Screen that comes up when you first login to Ubuntu Desktop 18.4.

Try a search under eg "linux ubuntu 18.04 gnome-initial-setup" that's 18.04, not 18.4.

It appears that once you exit out of the "first-time-run" scenario, it does not show again, but there is likely a way.

Cheers

Wizard

Hi Eddie, and welcome to Linux.org. I use Mint, which is an ubuntu derivative. The Welcome screen is an actual Menu item in my Cinnamon. Just set it to show on boot, but realize if you are using ubuntu on a live boot any changes you make to the default won't become permanent unless you use a program like "Persistence" on your boot disk or drive.

Hi Eddie, and welcome to Linux.org. I use Mint, which is an ubuntu derivative. The Welcome screen is an actual Menu item in my Cinnamon. Just set it to show on boot, but realize if you are using ubuntu on a live boot any changes you make to the default won't become permanent unless you use a program like "Persistence" on your boot disk or drive.

The welcome screen isn't in my menu.

The welcome screen isn't in my menu.

Hi Eddie, and welcome to the forums! As @wizardfromoz noted, it is a "first-run only" screen. I just installed Ubuntu 18.04 Gnome, the same as you have, and the "Welcome screen" is actually a series of screens highlighting some of the new things in 18.04, prompting you to setup Livepatch, asking permission to send telemetry data back to Canonical (allows by default), and lastly providing a button to "Open software now" (needs working internet connection).

You can re-run this app by opening a terminal with CTRL-ALT-T and entering the following:
Code:
/usr/lib/gnome-initial-setup/gnome-initial-setup --existing-user

If you allowed telemetry to be sent back to Canonical, I don't think that re-running this app will let you change that selection. I think you would have to re-install Ubuntu if you changed your mind about this.

Cheers

Okay thanks.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts