Welcome to the Salty Spitoon, How Tough Are Ya? (Linux Edition)

D

Deleted member 111282

For anyone who doesn't get the concept of this game or the joke behind it, watch the season 3 episode of Spongebob called "No Weenies Allowed"

The only rule is you have to describe a complicated Linux situation you encountered (bug fixing, troubleshooting, etc). If you want to include a Salty Spitoon meme, feel free to do so. Also, it's recommended you say "How tough am I???" before giving an answer.

To give an example: How tough am I??? I had to resort to Mint 19.3 just to get Jami (a FOSS replacement for Skype) to finally work right!

How tough am I??
I live almost entirely in the terminal.
I edit, compile, run and test my scripts/programs in the terminal using vim and tmux. GUI text editors and IDE's are for bubble blowing babies!

I once completed my own "Linux from scratch" install and even went "beyond linux from scratch".

Also, I use dwm - a tiling window manager controlled almost entirely by the keyboard! No sissy / WIMPy desktop environment for me!
Ha ha ha! :p :D

How tough am I??
I live almost entirely in the terminal.
I edit, compile, run and test my scripts/programs in the terminal using vim and tmux. GUI text editors and IDE's are for bubble blowing babies!

I once completed my own "Linux from scratch" install and even went "beyond linux from scratch".

Also, I use dwm - a tiling window manager controlled almost entirely by the keyboard! No sissy / WIMPy desktop environment for me!
Ha ha ha! :p :D

Salty Spitoon.jpg

Right this way, sorry to keep you waiting

Pfft... I was using a real green-screen terminal before either of you was born...

Maybe... LOL This site is one of the rare places where there are quite a few people older than I am.

I use a GUI quite a bit, but I when I do reboot I open a terminal before I open a browser.

Also, today I needed to extract some text from a document - so I used:

Code:
awk '{ print $2 }' countries.txt > finished.txt

...without even really thinking about how great it is to be fairly adept in the terminal.

I really do love a nice basic GUI.

Yeah, I'm not all that tough... I talk a good game, however!

Pfft... I was using a real green-screen terminal before either of you was born...

Maybe... LOL This site is one of the rare places where there are quite a few people older than I am.

I use a GUI quite a bit, but I when I do reboot I open a terminal before I open a browser.

Also, today I needed to extract some text from a document - so I used:

Code:
awk '{ print $2 }' countries.txt > finished.txt

...without even really thinking about how great it is to be fairly adept in the terminal.

I really do love a nice basic GUI.

Yeah, I'm not all that tough... I talk a good game, however!

Fair enough

Members online

Latest posts