Weird power up problem

jave808

Reaction score
Credits
Hi all

Just built myself a new rig. Everything seems to be going fine except one small annoying issue.

If I leave the PC fully off (ie not suspended/hibernating) AND the power to the back of the PSU is still ON, when I go to power up the PC next morning, it doesn't POST! Fans fire up etc but never gets to POST.

BUT when I switch the power off at the powerpoint (everything on the PC shuts down), then hit the PC power button, PC boots up normally.

Anyone have any ideas as to what is going on?

G'day jave808, Welcome to Linux.org

How sure are you that suspension/hibernation etc are not taking place after some period of time

It would be helpful if you were to supply some detail....eg WHich Linux are you running?....version?....DE.....how long has it been installed?....etc etc

Hi @Condobloke

Not 100% sure about the suspension/hibernation.

Specs as follows:
Host: B550 GAMING X
Kernel: 5.14.0-70.30.1.el9_0.x86_64
Uptime: 11 mins
Packages: 1545 (rpm)
Shell: bash 5.1.8
Resolution: 1920x1080
DE: GNOME 40.9
WM: Mutter
WM Theme: Adwaita
Theme: Adwaita [GTK2/3]
Icons: Adwaita [GTK2/3]
Terminal: gnome-terminal
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X (24) @ 3.700GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Rev. A
Memory: 4294MiB / 128265MiB

I have no knowledge of Alma Linux

I have a suspicion that hibernation etc may be enabled by default....but I have no way of proving that !

I will drop a couple of names here who may be able to help......just sit back and they will come to you.

@wizardfromoz

@Lord Boltar

@osprey

@JasKinasis

@Jarret B

@KGIII

.....others will see this topic as well.

I read this when it was first posted and it made me think there's a power management issue, but didn't have enough of an idea to comment.

I'd wonder if this is a real ACPI issue, or perhaps power management in the BIOS?

I think I'd double check things by making sure the BIOS is the current version and maybe continued debugging from there.

0cd7RxV.gif

(Wizard appears in a puff of smoke, trips over a Red Hat clone, when he has struggled to his feet, a Red Hat is perched precariously on top of his pointed Wizard's hat)

G'day @jave808 and welcome to linux.org from another Aussie. :)

Now Alma Linux is a clone supposedly of Red Hat, but free. So RPM-based as shown with the output above

Packages: 1545 (rpm)

I don't have it in my stable yet (78 distros or so), but I could put it on.

I note from DistroWatch.com that 8.7 was released a day or two ago, but 9.0 (which is what you have) was released 26 May.

Maybe they are Irish and counting backwards?

From the following outputs

Host: B550 GAMING X

Memory: 4294MiB / 128265MiB

I take it you are a Gamer?

Also, Distrowatch have this in choices

I probably won't be downloading the big one if that is the sort of size you have, I don't really game.

Someone else on Brian's @Condobloke 's list may have some ideas, and I note David @KGIII 's comment above.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

I have no knowledge of Alma Linux
I have seen it, it's another RHEL clone that's been out for about a year, as its Red Hat based enterprise build, i have not tried it .

@wizardfromoz already mentioned it but I will so again, a Rhel clone(and Debian stable) are the worst distributions when it comes to modern gaming. I have done so in the past and I ran into strange issues, I then switched to something like Ubuntu and those same issues disappeared while using the same software and running the same games. You will be better off running Fedora as your desktop for gaming. As for your problem I would start by updating your BIOS/UEFI to the most recent version available for your motherboard provided on the manufacturer's website.

Last edited:
What type of beeps do you here when you turn your desktop on?
1.png

Hi guys
Yes, I have updated the BIOS to v.F15d. There are A LOT of options in the BIOS. Where to look for power options?

No no not a gamer, but a cruncher - distributed computing using BOINC software. a few projects have big memory needs. I have Linux Mint running on my other PC. I had Steam installed on it and a few games. But I'm an old fart now and have no time/need for that.

As for beeps, I don't have a little buzzer installed on the motherboard. I do have some somewhere - just need to find them.

Hi guys
Yes, I have updated the BIOS to v.F15d. There are A LOT of options in the BIOS. Where to look for power options?

No no not a gamer, but a cruncher - distributed computing using BOINC software. a few projects have big memory needs. I have Linux Mint running on my other PC. I had Steam installed on it and a few games. But I'm an old fart now and have no time/need for that.

As for beeps, I don't have a little buzzer installed on the motherboard. I do have some somewhere - just need to find them.
I use to BOINC Seti until they shut down a couple of years or so ago did it for about 7 years I guess - beeps are good they tell you a lot

Members online