Website displaying incorrectly in Zorin 6.4 core.

A

Andrew Turner

I have a website made in a Muse trial and edited in Expression Web 4.
Although very amateurish it displays as I intended in six different browsers in Windows.
Unfortunately the text spacing is messed up a bit when I view the site in Zorin 6.4.
I am non technical but suspect that it has something to do with the font used which is Palatino Linotype.
I would be eally grateful if anyone can suggest what I might do. I have tried altering the font size in the headings where the problem occurs and on two occasions it makes text badly spaced further down the page.

Have you tried a different font? One that is default for all the systems?

Thanks for quick response.
I looked up default fonts for mac Linux and windows and Palatino Linotype was second on the list Palatino being the fallback font available in Linux. As I have so little expertise and knowledge in this area I maybe will just live with this . Thanks for your response anyway.

You can specify a default "Serif" or "Sans-Serif" font in your CSS as a fallback, which may display it clearer or at least more universal on different OSes.
I don't know if Palatino is the default for one of these types in Zorin, but something like this:

Code:
body {
    font-family: Helvetica, Arial, Sans-Serif;
}

Or even more succinct:

Code:
body {
    font-family: Sans-Serif;
}

This will use the default Sans-Serif font depending on the OS you are running and the client browser settings.

Edit: This will depend on the flavor of Linux you are running as well. I don't think Palatino is default for every Linux distro, Fedora for example uses Canteral (not sure if its serif or sans-serif my font knowledge isn't great) so using a default like "Sans-Serif" will be more universally accepted. If you don't like the Palatino font for your particular machine there are ways to change your default "serif" and "sans-serif" fonts via the browser or OS programs like fontconfig.

Last edited:
Thanks to all for input. As it is only a hobby site and my knowledge minimal I may do more damage than good without specific instructions so will leave it as it is. It seems that it would be nigh on impossible to get it to look right in all OS's.

Staff online