Web site login issue

willyum

Reaction score
Credits
I have a drug company site that I logon to frequently to purchase my meds using Firefox. I am using F36 and the Cinnamon desktop. Recently, I have been unable to logon to this website getting a message that the site is unavailable and try again. This message occurs after entering my user name and password and then hitting the logon button. It does not log me on. I have been doing this successfully for several years. Strangely, I can open the Chromium browser and login with no issues. I can also open Windows 10 and using Firefox I can also login with no issues. The Firefox version is 110.0 for Fedora.

Firefox has a troubleshooting function which I have implemented. The error occurs even in safe mode and disabling the prefs.js file does not correct the problem.
I have not yet reinstalled Firefox, but I'm thinking of doing so. I'm wondering if there are any better options before I do that.

I am considering reinstalling Firefox, but haven't done so yet. I'm wondering if there are any other alternatives before I do.

If I'm understanding you correctly, of course a secure site isn't going to let you in with Firefox version 36. It's horribly insecure due to being very out of date. Updating your browser should have been done long ago.

willyum wrote:
Firefox. I am using F36
The Firefox version is 110.0 for Fedora.

I take it that this is fedora 36, and firefox 110. Both are current.

I don't think I can help but I've had a similar problem with current firefox versions of not being able to log in to a particular site, but quite able to log into other sites. I also went down the troubleshoot route but found no satisfaction for that single site that simply wouldn't let me log in. I could log into my bank, into government services, both of which are security conscious operations, but not this site which was a "help" website ... so my conclusion was that there may be something in the configuration of the website that is implicated in the matter rather than firefox alone. I contacted the website and they replied that it wasn't a known issue for them. Logging in using other browsers was, like in your case, fine. In my case brave and palemoon logged in without incident.

I have a number of other browsers installed as well including ungoogled-chromium, tor, and some text browsers elinks, lynx and w3m.

Addendum: librewolf also logs in fine and it's firefox based.

Last edited:
I have a drug company site that I logon to frequently to purchase my meds using Firefox. I am using F36 and the Cinnamon desktop. Recently, I have been unable to logon to this website getting a message that the site is unavailable and try again. This message occurs after entering my user name and password and then hitting the logon button. It does not log me on. I have been doing this successfully for several years. Strangely, I can open the Chromium browser and login with no issues. I can also open Windows 10 and using Firefox I can also login with no issues. The Firefox version is 110.0 for Fedora.
Try resetting your Firefox profile, if you have any bookmarks make a backup of those first and close Firefox. Then run the following command from a terminal.
Code:
mv .mozilla/firefox .mozilla/firefox_old
Open Firefox again and then try login into that website again. I don't think it will help but it's worth a try. Go to the website where you are having trouble with so that you are on the page where you enter your login credentials. Then press "ctrl+shift+i" and go to the "Network" tab of the screen that opens at the bottom. After you have then that try and login and check the HTTP requests that are being made and returned that might shed some light on the situation.

Sorry. I should have been clearer about versions. Fedora 36 and Firefox 110.0 is correct.
I will try what f33dm3bits suggests and get back to you.
Thanks

f33dm3bits. The new profile did the trick. I can now log in to the drug company web site.
Of course, it is easy to re-enter my configuration preferences under "settings". And, I have bookmarks backed up and I can restore those. I also had about 20 shortcuts set on a new tab page that I would like to restore from the old profile (prefs.js). It would be a bit of a pain to redo them one by one. The prefs.js is a readable file and I can see the lines pertaining to those shortcuts. Can those be simply cut and pasted into the new prefs.js file? Is there a safe way to do that? Is there any reason to believe that the cause of the login error is contained somewhere in that file?
Thanks

Last edited:
Glad that have helped you out! You can try restoring your old pref.js and see what happens, if that makes the issue reappear than you have found your problem and if not then your something else in your Firefox profile got corrupted.

Restoring the old prefs.js file only works in that all of the old preferences are there when I open Firefox. However, Firefox cannot then connect with the internet. Something else is apparently not recognizing the old file.

Can those be simply cut and pasted into the new prefs.js file?

I just start with the old profile and bookmark all open tabs into a single folder. I then import those bookmarks and open all those tabs from that folder.

You can also use one of the tab management extensions and save your open tabs to a file.

This is assuming you're still able to use the old profile.

The impulse to help can be strong.

My last comment was in response to their post #8. They've made a new profile. They want their open tabs from a previous profile. That's how I'd get those open tabs.

The new profile is working. The bookmarks and new tab shortcuts have re-populated themselves from somewhere. Pleasant surprise. While re-setting stuff in "settings", I discovered that changing the default zoom results in the non-login problem with the drug company. However, changing the zoom in the menu does not. Go figure. It appears that all is well now. Thanks again for the help.
Osprey. Sorry you weren't as fortunate.

Short answer, try using google chrome.

Long answer, There are 2 ways to design a web site. One is server sided where everything is done at the server. it requires a powerful server and a good programmer. The other is client sided which means everything is done on the client computer and requires little skill to create. So guess which one many use? They write sites specific using a particular browser. I have found many sites that firefox can't log in to. But if you use chrome it works fine. That is because so many web developers are lazy and write for the chrome engine only which covers, Google Chrome, Opera, and MS Edge. Firefox is not using that engine and has not kept up with the compatibility. It is always best to have more than one browser for that reason. It is not anything you are doing wrong, it is lazy programming that is like a plague anymore.

I hope this actually helps.

It helps me to understand a bit. And, I'm not at all surprised by what you say. When I contacted their "community" the most useful piece of information they had to offer was to use Chromium.
I will likely continue using Firefox as long as it continues to be provided with the distro. I understand that Librewolf is based on Firefox and also is provided by the distro repository. Is it any better ?

It helps me to understand a bit. And, I'm not at all surprised by what you say. When I contacted their "community" the most useful piece of information they had to offer was to use Chromium.
I will likely continue using Firefox as long as it continues to be provided with the distro. I understand that Librewolf is based on Firefox and also is provided by the distro repository. Is it any better ?
I have not played with it so I can't say. But if it is using firefox engine it is likely you will have same issues. I use firefox for 95% of what I do but when something does not work I just try with chrome. Chromium is a little different and if you look for chrome not chromium on the software store you will find the real google chrome. Someday firefox will play catch up with the compatibility issues.

I avoid google as much as I can. I'll continue with Chromium as a backup as long as it works.
Thanks for the great advice

@willyum:
If this happens again try simply going to Settings->Privacy & Security and under Cookies and Site Data hit Manage Data,
find the website in the list and click on it, then Remove Selected and Save Changes. This worked for me when I had this problem with Godaddy.

@APTI:
I'm sorry to say that's the biggest load of nonsense I've heard all week and that includes the Daily Mail link I accidentally clicked on. Any high traffic website will try to offload some of the work from the server onto the client. It's not "lazy", it is good practice and necessary in many cases to prevent tying the server up. Building a website in this way requires a lot *more* skill, you'll either need one or more full stack developers who can code in a server side language as well as client side, or you need one or more backend coders and one or more frontend. Anyone can write something that only runs on the server but things have moved on a bit since the 2000s.

@willyum:
If this happens again try simply going to Settings->Privacy & Security and under Cookies and Site Data hit Manage Data,
find the website in the list and click on it, then Remove Selected and Save Changes. This worked for me when I had this problem with Godaddy.

@APTI:
I'm sorry to say that's the biggest load of nonsense I've heard all week and that includes the Daily Mail link I accidentally clicked on. Any high traffic website will try to offload some of the work from the server onto the client. It's not "lazy", it is good practice and necessary in many cases to prevent tying the server up. Building a website in this way requires a lot *more* skill, you'll either need one or more full stack developers who can code in a server side language as well as client side, or you need one or more backend coders and one or more frontend. Anyone can write something that only runs on the server but things have moved on a bit since the 2000s.
looking to start a flame war? I refuse to contribute but you need to stop being offended at being a lazy programmer. The facts speak louder than your protest.

Members online