web server isnt responding :(

G

greenEmerald

We have a website server set up for payments on a GNU/Linux machine. Now, I can ping the Linux box, it can ping our main server(Windows 2008 R2).

Heres the problem: When someone tries to make a payment, it says: Cannot reach host: payments.lake.lw(That is the website on the Linux box)

Somebody please help! I have already rebooted the Linux box and power cycled the network equipment.This is stressful and I have already done everything imaginable(i.e. checked physical connections, pinged sites from Linux box, pinged Linux box from multiple machines) I did not set this Linux web site crap up. Is there a simple on off switch I am not seeing? I did not change anything yet this problem just popped up yesterday. Thanks for your time and answers in advance. Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.

You've not given enough information for me to do more than take a stab in the dark.

What Linux type and version is this? Debian, Ubuntu, RedHat, CentOS ? You should get a banner on login telling you.
what webserver is running on this box - apache, glassfish, ngnix?
Is it using SSL - could the server certificate have expired perhaps since you say it failed all of a sudden? That'd be one of the first things I'd look at in this scenario. You can check this using:

I'll assume you're using standard https port 443 - adapt if you are not...

Code:
echo "" | openssl s_client -connect tv.eurosport.com:443 > /tmp/x
openssl x509 -in /tmp/x -noout -enddate

Otherwise you probably need to check the basic stuff like disk space, hardware health etc. A full disk may prevent the webserver service from running/starting. In fact, check that stuff anyway as a proactive step. If you don't know where to look for this info here are some commands:

Code:
df -h                        # will show disk space - look for 100% used figures or approaching that
less /var/log/syslog    # will show the system log, 1 page at a time - q to quit. Scan for error messages
You may need to substitute /var/log/messages for /var/log syslog above, depending on the Linux distribution used.

A word to the wise: You are asking for help from a Linux community on a Linux forum, so you might want to consider that it's not very diplomatic to refer to "this Linux web site crap" when seeking that assistance. It may well be crap, I have no idea how it has been designed or implemented, but that tone won't do much to solicit replies. Linux webservers work perfectly well when correctly set up, and Linux/Apache has far more market share than any other vendor (see below). Don't blame the tools for your lack of experience.

Webserver Market Share Table

DeveloperJanuary 2013PercentFebruary 2013PercentChange
Apache348,119,03255.26%344,915,10554.68%-0.58
Microsoft106,619,17716.93%104,647,42516.59%-0.34
nginx79,640,47212.64%81,074,69412.85%0.21
Google22,573,8583.58%22,717,9843.60%0.02

source: netcraft.com http://news.netcraft.com/archives/category/web-server-survey/

Hope that helped.

I fixed this problem long before your reply. Thanks for the troubleshooting steps.
And,for the record, I didnt have a "tone". I was aggravated and frustrated to the point where I wanted to punch a hole through the dry wall because I was the only one having this issue and no one could lend advice. I was NOT bashing linux, just my current issue.I think your just reading things with your tampon up too far. Learn to take everything with a grain of rice my friend, you will live longer in life. Good day sir.

Members online