WEATHER apps/notifiers that depend on WOEID info

Condobloke

Reaction score
Credits
I use THIS in Linux Mint 18.3 to keep me informed about weather fluctuations at various places in another country to the one I reside in now.

I have just been informed by the guy who gathers the info that ""It appears that WOEID information has been discontinued. I'm pursuing an alternative. Please contact me if you are interested in a custom solution for your business.""

I am certainly not after info for a business......My needs are far more mundane than that.

What the hell is WOEID , I hear you ask....(WHERE ON EARTH IDENTIFIER)
A WOEID is a unique 32-bit reference identifier, originally defined by GeoPlanet and now assigned by Yahoo!, that identifies any feature on Earth.

Nice of yahoo to discontinue that service.....what else would you expect from a two bit crap company such as that anyway....

SO....what can i use ?

That particular applet just sits down next to the clock area and updates itself every 1 - 15 minutes...i determine the time lapse. It is simple & it works (or it used to)

Dare I say....I have made mr google's acquaintance on many an occasion...we are old mates, of sorts.

This is a right royal pita

Gnome is a waste of time...I installed from synaptic this morning....and it either doesnt know where bloody Armidale is or it tells me the temp there is 36C....in Armidale !!??

a few others use gnome....pita

Is it possible that Ross Elliot is the only bloke in this world who can make a SIMPLE weather applet ???

SO we have thousands of distros, enough code writers to sink the bloody titanic, enough help people who could even sort out d trump if they tried.....but no weather applet for Brian

Incredible.

I have installed a Firefox extension. its rough, its honesty is questionable, but I will go with it, until some bright fella provides an alternative.

Terminal alternative?

igRhUs6.png

Wiz

Already looked there......they take a stab in the dark

Thanks for trying

took a long slow look through the software manager.....not much to be gained from there.

A few that actually worked, gave results that were seriously questionable

Most did not work at all

Interesting to note that the majority use Yahoo for their data........they are doomed. Yahoo HAS closed that service down...permanently.

This one might have potential - allows for 2 zones

cgYJQwn.png

I've got it on my Sylvia Cinnamon and can give you details

Gotta fly

Chris
(whoosh)

I am all ears

http://www.linuxandubuntu.com/home/best-clock-and-weather-widgets-for-linux - is the site I found.

The first one, Gis-Weather, I found crap, too hard to set up city codes and kept getting pairs of nag popups telling me to set it up so blew it away.

2nd one that you see here is My Weather Indicator - you can have two (2) locations, each one generates a small cloud or cloud and sun icon on your System Tray, right-clicking them gives a long context menu of options, readings and preferences - haven't tried much so far.

Once setup, in /home/yourusername/.conf there is a folder /my-weather-indicator which contains a filed named similarly as a .conf - haven't checked out size options yet.

See what you think

Wiz

Well....here I sit...scratching my head.
I had already tried that....and I became pissed of with it, because it would not 'locate' armidale or tamworth ....the ppa was already in place, so I fired it back up again, hovered the little circle over nsw....typed in armidale.....and bingo !.....With htis new found success....I did the same for tamworth, and that was just too easy !

So......I now have two temps showing in the system tray....all the blah on tap...more info than even I would want
It supplies that info via 'openweathermap' ...I am already a member there from my previous attempts with many and various apps etc.

Thank you my friend......I guess all it needed was a wizards touch. :cool::):rolleyes:

It's all in the way you hold your mouth - ... enjoy, Bro'

:D:cool:

Wiz

b_Zo_Rud6_-_Imgur.gif

yeah yeah......I thought it was the ferocity of the bad language I hurled at it.

I have found the % rel humidity figure to be a 'bit of a pluck'....so I sent open weather map an email......you never know !
weird....must just be that one tiny piece of data...tamworths is correct....but not armidale

All good. Ta muchly.

And...openweather responded !

Hello Brian,

Thank you for request.

Seems like we have a lack of weather stations there, and this data received from modeling.

Now we are working on improvement of our weather station network, and situation should change for the better.

Best Regards,
Pavel Zuykov
Technical Support Engineer

OpenWeather team
[email protected]
https://openweather.co.uk/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/openweathermap/
Twitter @OpenWeatherMap

I value responses like that....so I have responded in turn, that once we are settled in Armidale I will install a weather station, and send data to openweather

Last edited:
Maybe it is more of a Pet for Puppy?

I note it is from Mike Walsh

Wiz

Members online