We don't worry too much about malware with Linux...

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
... and that's a good thing.

But, in browsing, I came across a page (that will try to sell you stuff) that details the various definitions for types of malware. It was a pretty good link - for an 'executive summary' type of deal. I expect most of us to know all about these - and even get the definitions 'close enough'.

It's a long story, but Crowdstrike supports automobile racing. I tend to look at the various sponsors that might offer something of interest to me. After all, they sponsor something important to me. In return, I look to see if their products are useful and desirable to me. It's a thing I do...

So, there's a handy list. Scrolling down may prove to be informative.

Just to be clear, the malware descriptions in @KGIII's link above are not mutually exclusive. A given malware may match multiple descriptions in that list.

Yup. There's also the term 'blended threat', which some might find an interesting subject. It's sometimes referred to as 'blended malware'.

The linked page would be what your CSO gives to your CEO to read before the CEO goes to speak about security/malware or when the CSO wants to explain to the CFO what the threats are - and they'd give 'em another source of information that shows the cost associated with breaches. Or maybe the CSO wants to buy that specific software...

Then, CrowdStrikes' salespeople might use those documents as part of their sales presentation, probably to the CSO.

And, as we all know, the executives still don't understand and will most likely spend the least amount possible on security. After all, there's probably no legal penalty and they've been rolling the dice for years.

Article should read...12 types of malware for windowz.
m0116.gif

There are several types of malware that you may encounter, including ransomware, fileless malware, spyware, adware, Trojans, worms, rootkits, keyloggers, bots, mobile malware, and wiper malware. These malware types work in different ways and have real-world examples, as mentioned in the original post.

As a Linux user, there are several measures you can take to protect your system against these malware threats:

1. Keep your system up-to-date: Regularly update your Linux distribution and installed software to ensure that you have the latest security patches and fixes.
  2. Use a reliable antivirus software: While Linux is generally considered more secure than other operating systems, it is not immune to malware attacks. Install a reputable antivirus software specifically designed for Linux systems to detect and remove any malware threats.
  3. Employ a firewall: Utilize a firewall to monitor incoming and outgoing network traffic and block any suspicious activity.
  4. Practice safe browsing habits: Avoid visiting suspicious websites, clicking on unknown links, or downloading files from untrusted sources. Be cautious while opening email attachments, especially from unknown senders.
  5. Use strong, unique passwords: Create complex passwords for your accounts and use a password manager to store them securely. Avoid using the same password for multiple accounts.
  6. Regularly back up your data: Perform regular backups of your important files and store them in a safe location. This can help you recover your data in case of a ransomware attack or other malware incidents.
  7. Limit user privileges: Create separate user accounts with limited privileges for daily use and only use the administrator account when necessary. This can minimize the potential damage caused by a malware attack.
  8. Enable SELinux or AppArmor: These security frameworks help enforce access controls and protect your system against unauthorized access and malware infections.
  9. Be cautious when installing software: Only install software from trusted repositories or official websites. Avoid downloading and installing software from unverified sources.
  10. Educate yourself about cybersecurity: Stay informed about the latest malware threats and cybersecurity best practices. This knowledge can help you identify potential risks and protect your system accordingly.
By implementing these security measures, you can significantly reduce the risk of malware attacks on your Linux system and ensure a safer computing experience.

Members online